GDT: 10/27/18 - 9:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Arizona

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Game was already lost at 0-4 or 0-5 so resting Vasy was the right decision imo.

That's also why McDonagh and Strålman each only had 20 minutes TOI. No need to risk losing them to an errant shot/dirty check or exhausting them when we were down so far since they'll be very much needed to handle extra duties for the next week or so.

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
Game was already lost at 0-4 or 0-5 so resting Vasy was the right decision imo.
If you're 100% sure before the game that you're not going play your #1 no matter what, which seems to have been the case, you should bring somebody up from Syracuse as a backup and sit Vasy in the press box rather than leaving your #2 out there to get shelled. Crushed his confidence. And yes, these guys do care about their stats and LD's just got blew up. What's a plane ticket cost?

Last edited:
Reactions: LonLon Lei

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
While I can understand why they didn't, I wouldn't have minded them pulling Domingue because Vasy would still get a rest since the Bolts aren't playing until Tuesday night and it's early in the season.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
If you're 100% sure before the game that you're not going play your #1 no matter what, which seems to have been the case, you should bring somebody up from Syracuse as a backup and sit Vasy in the press box rather than leaving your #2 out there to get shelled. Crushed his confidence. And yes, these guys do care about their stats and LD's just got blew up. What's a plane ticket cost?
Agree. Poor Dom but he'll get his revenge sooner or later. Vasi has already had one erratic game so that happens.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

That's kind of the job description for a #2 though.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
You know how callups, waivers, roster limits etc. work though, right? Call up a 3rd goalie to replace who? And for what, to not hurt your 2nd goalie's feelings short-term? The scenario here is exactly what a team has a 2nd goalie for. Did it get ugly after the 4th Yotes goal? Sure. At the same time you expect him, a professional athlete, to shrug it off, regroup and learn from a game like that. There's at least 2 GA in this game that he should've had. If he had those the game could have turned out differently.

Reactions: JDBolt and Hoek

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
While I can understand why they didn't, I wouldn't have minded them pulling Domingue because Vasy would still get a rest since the Bolts aren't playing until Tuesday night and it's early in the season.
Yeah, but chances were that Vasy was going to get peppered too. Don't want to mess with a goalies psyche.

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
You know how callups, waivers, roster limits etc. work though, right? Call up a 3rd goalie to replace who? And for what, to not hurt your 2nd goalie's feelings short-term? The scenario here is exactly what a team has a 2nd goalie for. Did it get ugly after the 4th Yotes goal? Sure. At the same time you expect him, a professional athlete, to shrug it off, regroup and learn from a game like that. There's at least 2 GA in this game that he should've had. If he had those the game could have turned out differently.
I do. Martel would have been the obvious choice as he is on a two way. And it isn't about "hurting the goalies feelings", it's about good team management. The notion that "that is what you have a #2 for" is changing and has changed. Your #2 is an extremely important piece of the puzzle in today's NHL, not a spare part to be thrown out there every time your #1 needs a rest. Now, no one could have predicted the Yotes onslaught and that is not to say the LD was not responsible for some bad goals, and yes he is pro and has to take his lumps when he doesn't perform, but leaving him in there for 7 did no one any good.

Last edited:

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
An entire team has to stink it up royally in order to give up 7 goals. Pulling the 2nd goalie would totally defeat the purpose of running him out there in the first place. Second half of a back to back on a long road trip is THE time to throw your number two out there and expect him to handle the work. Sucks that the rest of the club couldn't bail him out but.. what are you gonna do? The boys were tired. It happens. They gotta turn the page and let that ass-kicking motivate them for the next one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I do. Martel would have been the obvious choice as he is on a two way. And it isn't about "hurting the goalies feelings", it's about good team management. The notion that "that is what you have a #2 for" is changing and has changed. Your #2 is an extremely important piece of the puzzle in today's NHL, not a spare part to be thrown out there every time your #1 needs a rest. Now, no one could have predicted the Yotes onslaught and that is not to say the LD was not responsible for some bad goals, and yes he is pro and has to take his lumps when he doesn't perform, but leaving him in there for 7 did no one any good.

I think the 30 days with Martel is up, but he's still going to be exposed to waivers if/when we send him down.

What you're suggesting, calling up a goalie to play back up to our back up, is just not really a thing that's done. It would disrupt the roster number as well as disrupt Syracuse's goalie situation. And it really hasn't changed, that a #2 handles a lot of bad situation. Teams aren't going out of their way to protect their #2's psyche. Our #1 is the youngest #1 in the league and has a history of consistency issues. I'd rather not throw him to the wolves on a night where we're obviously not going to give him any support and the game is too far out of hand to win.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think the 30 days with Martel is up, but he's still going to be exposed to waivers if/when we send him down.

What you're suggesting, calling up a goalie to play back up to our back up, is just not really a thing that's done. It would disrupt the roster number as well as disrupt Syracuse's goalie situation. And it really hasn't changed, that a #2 handles a lot of bad situation. Teams aren't going out of their way to protect their #2's psyche. Our #1 is the youngest #1 in the league and has a history of consistency issues. I'd rather not throw him to the wolves coyotes on a night where we're obviously not going to give him any support and the game is too far out of hand to win.
FTFY

I'll see myself out.

Reactions: Hoek

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018

What you're suggesting, calling up a goalie to play back up to our back up, is just not really a thing that's done. It would disrupt the roster number as well as disrupt Syracuse's goalie situation. And it really hasn't changed, that a #2 handles a lot of bad situation. Teams aren't going out of their way to protect their #2's psyche. Our #1 is the youngest #1 in the league and has a history of consistency issues. I'd rather not throw him to the wolves on a night where we're obviously not going to give him any support and the game is too far out of hand to win.
How can the 30 days be up if we're still in October? As for the second paragraph, I think we are in agreement. Anyway, as the NHL game is changing and how #2s are viewed and valued is changing with it, I think teams, and not just the Lightning, need to be more creative about how they manage their rosters on nights when in reality your #1 is not available. That was my only point really.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How can the 30 days be up if we're still in October? As for the second paragraph, I think we are in agreement. Anyway, as the NHL game is changing and how #2s are viewed and valued is changing with it, I think teams, and not just the Lightning, need to be more creative about how they manage their rosters on nights when in reality your #1 is not available. That was my only point really.

I think we signed Martel in September. It was mid-preseason. So I think we can try to sneak him to the minors now, without Philly snatching him back, but we'd still be exposing him to waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->