GDT: 10/26 - Game 8 - San Jose (4-4-0) at BRUINS (3-3-1) 7 PM ET - NESN, SN360, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2017-10-26_14-7-26.png

upload_2017-10-25_23-25-35.png

upload_2017-10-25_23-28-49.png

td-garden-and-the-zakim-bridge-in-pink-joann-vitali.jpg

Tonight's Officials
nhlhs_2.jpg
130p_dwyer.jpg

Referees Jon McIsaac (2), Gord Dwyer (19)
Linesmen Matt MacPherson (83), Derek Nansen (70)

Ntl. Anthem Shanna Jackman

BOSTON vs SAN JOSE, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Sharks are meeting for the 37th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 19-12-5-0 record and 114-100 scoring edge in those games.
The Bruins are 10-5-3-0 vs. the Sharks lifetime in Boston with a 62-55 scoring advantage in those 18 contests.

The Bruins swept last season’s series vs. the Sharks with a 6-3 win in Boston on 2/9 and a 2-1 OT win in San Jose on 2/13.

WAYBACK MACHINE

TONIGHT’S GAME

The Bruins host the Sharks tonight in the 1st of 2 games between these teams this season and the Sharks’ lone visit to TD Garden … The Bruins are 3-3-1 this season and are 2-1-1 on home ice … They are 2-1-0 vs. Pacific Division teams this season and are 3-3-0 vs. Western Conference foes. - The Bruins are playing game 3 tonight of a 4-game home stand that will see them conclude with Los Angeles on Saturday … They are playing a stretch of 7 of 8 games on home ice (1-0-1 so far).

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Tuukka Rask’s next game will be the 400th of his NHL/Bruins career. Brad Marchand is 2 goals shy of his 200th NHL/Bruins goal.
David Backes is 2 points short of his 500th NHL point.

INJURIES (Total man-games lost in 2017-18: 25)

Noel Acciari – Left index finger surgery, approx.. 6 wks from 10/5 vs NSH (IR)
Ryan Spooner – B groin adductor team, approx.. 6 wks from 10/15 at VGK (IR).
Adam McQuaid – Broken right fibula, approx.. 8 wks from 10/19 vs VAN
Tuukka Rask – Concussion suffered 10/18 in practice
Kevan Miller – Upper body suffered 10/19 vs VAN
David Krejci – Upper body suffered 10/19 vs VAN

FUN FACTS

The Bruins currently have 25 players on their roster, including 3 on injured reserve … 10 were drafted by the team, 3 were acquired in trade and 12 were signed as free agents … Ryan White joined the team on a PTO on 10/10 and is skating with the team.

The Bruins play 10 matinees this season (local start time 4:00 pm or earlier) … They have an 0-2-0 record in afternoon games so far.

The Bruins play 14 sets of back-to-back games this season … They are currently 1-0-0 in the 1st game of those sets and are 0-1-0 in the 2nd games so far.

They will play 16 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season … They went 9-6-1 in game 1s, 8-5-3 in game 2s and 7-7-2 in game 3s of those series last season.

The Bruins are playing a 10-game October schedule (5 hm/4 rd, 3-3-1) … They will play 13 games in November (7 hm/6 rd), 14 games in December (8 hm/6 rd), 13 in January (6 hm/7 rd), 13 in February (5hm/8 rd), 16 in March (8 hm/8 rd), and 4 in April (1 hm/3 rd).

RECENT TRANSACTIONS:

Oct. 17: Danton Heinen and Austin Czarnik assigned to Providence/AHL
Oct. 18: Peter Cehlarik and Kenny Agostino recalled from Providence/AHL
Oct. 19: Peter Cehlarik returned to Providence/AHL.
Oct. 19: Zane McIntyre recalled from Providence/AHL
Oct. 21: Rob O’Gara recalled from Providence/AHL.
Oct. 22: Rob O’Gara and Zane McIntyre returned to Providence/AHL.

It has been almost 12 years since the Boston Bruins dealt their captain, Joe Thornton, to the San Jose Sharks for three players. One of those three, Marco Sturm, scored the overtime goal for the Bruins in the first outdoor hockey game at Fenway Park -- and that was the highlight of the deal for Boston.
Meanwhile, Thornton appears headed for the Hall of Fame -- and is still chugging along at the age of 38 as he and his Sharks visit TD Garden on Thursday night.

This will be Thornton's 16th game against his only former team. He has five goals and seven assists in the previous 15. More important, he hits town with a goal and five assists in eight games this season while helping linemate Logan Couture get off to the best start of his career. Couture had a goal and an assist as the Sharks earned a 4-1 win over the Rangers in New York on Monday night. The 2-1-0 start to a five-game road trip has raised San Jose's record to 4-4-0 ahead of the game against the 3-3-1 Bruins.

"We've got to get some scoring, and we can't wait for Joe Thornton or Joe Pavelski or Brent Burns to do it every night," Sharks coach Peter DeBoer said. "We've got to get other guys consistently bringing positive results to the rink every night. On the nights you're not bringing offense, make sure you're having a positive effect on the game. And that's the challenge."

Couture has seven goals, six in the past four games. He also has three assists, all in the past four games. A two-time 30-goal scorer who led the NHL with 10 goals and 30 points in the 2016 playoffs, the winger is well ahead of his previous scoring paces.

"Right now it just seems like the puck is following me around," Couture said. "Those are the days you enjoy coming to the rink and you know you're going to get some scoring chances."

The Bruins, who have been dealing with all kinds of injuries, were enjoying their stay at their home rink on Saturday, when they jumped to a 4-1 lead against the one-win Buffalo Sabres, only to cough up the lead and lose the game 5-4 in overtime. While Adam McQuaid (broken leg) and Ryan Spooner (groin) are out long-term, the conditions of goaltender Tuukka Rask (concussion) and Kevan Miller (hand) may well have benefited from the long layoff between games.

Rask cleared NHL protocol and returned to practice Tuesday after missing two games, and Miller was back after missing one game. However, David Krejci, who went through warmups Saturday before sitting out a second straight game due to a back injury, has gone from day-to-day from week-to-week. He is listed as out at least through the weekend.

"We'll revisit it on Sunday or Monday," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said Krejci.

As far as Rask and Miller, Cassidy said, "It's all positive things for both of those guys."
After going through an almost-full practice Tuesday, Rask, who has lost his last three starts to drop to 1-3-0 with an .882 save percentage, said, "They didn't want me to do contact today, whatever that means for a goalie (he was injured in a practice collision with rookie Anders Bjork). I stayed out of the last couple of drills and whatnot. But you can't go out there and try to be too careful.

"The drills we did were set up in a way that it's only shots and two-on-ones so the chances of being run over are slim. Tomorrow will be full tilt and we'll see."

After the Wednesday practice, Cassidy said, "Tuukka is continuing in the protocol and doing well, so tomorrow morning he'll get looked at. If it's all systems go, then we'll know tomorrow whether he gets cleared."

Rask could play Thursday, where he is likely to face a red-hot Martin Jones, the goalie who belonged to the Bruins for four days after a trade from Lon Angeles (for Milan Lucic) -- before they traded him away. Jones is 4-0-0 with a 1.26 goals against average and a .957 save percentage since being pulled in a 4-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 2 of the season. He stopped all 10 shots during six New York power plays Monday.

With Krejci out, David Backes moved from right wing back to center, his natural position, between speedy wingers David Pastrnak and Jake DeBrusk.

"You play center for so long, I don't think it ever really escapes you," Backes said.

The Bruins swept the two-game series from the Sharks last season, but San Jose has won two of its past three visits to TD Garden and three of its past five games in Boston.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-26_0-13-16.png
    upload_2017-10-26_0-13-16.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Backes shifting to center with injury to David Krejci

David Backes, some 8-10 pounds leaner for all his recent belly woes, Thursday night will return to his roots, shifted from right wing to center and playing No. 2 pivot behind Patrice Bergeron.
“There’s something to be said about being that center, leading that line, taking control,” Backes said Wednesday. The Bruins need Backes to return to center with David Krejci sidelined for at least two more games with an undisclosed injury. “You’re kind of the director of the orchestra — plays being made around you, you have to support at times, push the pace at times, and be defensively responsible for the full 200-foot game. There’s a lot of pride to be taken in that.”

While noting that he expects a team doctors will provide more details to the media about his condition, he made clear that his attack was something beyond a garden variety case.

“There’s a unique situation that’s arisen, especially with my age and profession,” said Backes, purposely being vague about specifics. “I think we’ll have the docs explain it with better terminology so I don’t screw it up and describe something that’s not real.”
A surgical repair, said Backes, is still being considered.
“I don’t want to give away all the details,” he added. “It wasn’t just the diverticulitis attack — there is more severity to it. Next steps are still being determined. We need to be smart about this for what makes sense for us to be a great team — but for my health as well.”
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...avid-krejci/IESCc607sqvqKmxKYGMZaN/story.html

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
with the lineup this team is forced to ice, I`d accept going 1-1 over the next two. These injuries are just crazy

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
David Backes shifting to center with injury to David Krejci

David Backes, some 8-10 pounds leaner for all his recent belly woes, Thursday night will return to his roots, shifted from right wing to center and playing No. 2 pivot behind Patrice Bergeron.
“There’s something to be said about being that center, leading that line, taking control,” Backes said Wednesday. The Bruins need Backes to return to center with David Krejci sidelined for at least two more games with an undisclosed injury. “You’re kind of the director of the orchestra — plays being made around you, you have to support at times, push the pace at times, and be defensively responsible for the full 200-foot game. There’s a lot of pride to be taken in that.”

While noting that he expects a team doctors will provide more details to the media about his condition, he made clear that his attack was something beyond a garden variety case.

“There’s a unique situation that’s arisen, especially with my age and profession,” said Backes, purposely being vague about specifics. “I think we’ll have the docs explain it with better terminology so I don’t screw it up and describe something that’s not real.”
A surgical repair, said Backes, is still being considered.
“I don’t want to give away all the details,” he added. “It wasn’t just the diverticulitis attack — there is more severity to it. Next steps are still being determined. We need to be smart about this for what makes sense for us to be a great team — but for my health as well.”
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...avid-krejci/IESCc607sqvqKmxKYGMZaN/story.html

And about f***ing time too.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It feels like another game one of the new season....those breaks have sucked. Hopefully they get on the right side of the track tonight and start rolling. At least there will be consistency in the schedule going forward. I feel like the season is disjointed, never mind the players. I love watching Brent Burns but hope he is awful tonight.

GO BRUINS!!!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It is still early in the season, there is no reason to take any chances with Rask even if he is medically cleared. Concussions are tricky things.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I can't believe we actually have a game thread! I'm not liking how the B's schedule has turned out the past couple seasons where it's so light at the beginning and so insane at the end when they actually need their rest. Oh well, let's get another W boys, get it done!

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Season is still very young. No way to judge this team until they are healthy and have played more games regularly. The slow start could very well be related to the slow start in regards to amount of games and their regularity. Hard to get into a rhythm.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's cleared to play. I would start him. Zero confidence in Khudobin...

Heard it's Khudobin starting, Rask as back-up.

If Rask is good enough to dress, then he should start. I don't get the logic here. So if Khudobin goes in, and either gets lit up or injured, you'll put Rask in then? But he isn't healthy enough to start the game?

Reactions: Midship

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Maybe Khudobin has a bounce back game tonight. Can't believe we've actually got a game tonight, ****ing schedule. I've watched other teams more than my own so far.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->