Pre-Game Talk: 10/25 vs Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I tend to key on players that are significant, consequential, influential, that actually matter. Yama was a desperation pick to try to fill some talent quotient on the roster due to multiple trades that eviscerated talent on the roster.

I continue to think the only reason the Oilers even wasted a top round pick on Yama was the Flames finding gold in a 4th round pick on Gaudreau. I can't see any other reason why we went for this low probabity chance of player. its important to note in this that Gaudreau is immensely better asset and prospect in every way and yet went 4th round.

So because a Chia formulated roster is completely desperate to find anything out of Yamamoto, and to keep forcing that I have to see a player on topsix that I would prefer was not here at all. To key on the player in question increases the frustration quotient about how much this plug is limiting our top lines.

Meanwhile, Pulju, who is an actual prospect with upside is scratched.

I'm so disgusted in McLellan I might not even watch the game.

Have you seen that Gallagher guy in Montreal? Yamamoto reminds me a lot of him. Give him a few more games before you crucify the guy geez. As I said watch how often Yamamoto gets open tonight in the slot and gets a quick shot off. I guarantee it happens once or twice tonight because it's happened in every other game Ive watched. Only reason he's got one goal right now is that he's rushing those shots a bit. Once he realizes he can take just a second to pick his spots they should start going in for him.

In saying that Puljujarvi's problem is that he doesn't understand the North American game enough. He is consistently in the wrong position. It's been his problem since we drafted him, and he's still not figuring it out. Not a good sign. Obviously he shows glimpses of what he could be from time to time, but similar to Nurse he never really maintains that high level of play.

Reactions: ujju2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You could be more specific. I was never sold on Yama as a pick and never interested in him. So clearly not in his camp, at all. I just see no use in the player.

having not seen Yama's Junior game (and not knowing it translates to NHL anyway due to his size and limited skill) I just don't see what he brings. Waste of spot player to me.

I don't get Yama, can't comprehend the excitement in him, admittedly, but he's not doing much to make me notice.

Is drawing a few penalties enough to show for constant topsix and now topline toi? He's the most inept forward that's been in our topsix this season of anybody.

I'm a bigger Jesse fan than Yamo fan in terms of upside, however Yamo after being taken off the Drai line has been MUCH better than Jesse outside of the first game that Jesse was bumped to the Drai line mid game.

Reactions: North and ujju2

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You could be more specific. I was never sold on Yama as a pick and never interested in him. So clearly not in his camp, at all. I just see no use in the player.

having not seen Yama's Junior game (and not knowing it translates to NHL anyway due to his size and limited skill) I just don't see what he brings. Waste of spot player to me.

I don't get Yama, can't comprehend the excitement in him, admittedly, but he's not doing much to make me notice.

Is drawing a few penalties enough to show for constant topsix and now topline toi? He's the most inept forward that's been in our topsix this season of anybody.

The only reason Yamamoto is even in our top 6 is because we SEVERELY lack wingers, and Puljujarvi hasn't done enough to warrant a permanent spot. If we don't trade Eberle, and Puljujarvi is scoring at a 40-50 point pace Yamamoto never sees the top 6.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
LINEUP NOTES
The Oilers held an optional practice on Thursday, however, it appeared as though wingers Jesse Puljujarvi and Zack Kassian will be out of the lineup, while Drake Caggiula and Jujhar Khaira are expected to slot in.
"Jesse is an important part of our team and our organization," said McLellan of the Finn. "His development has to get going where he has a positive impact on the game every night. It's not always goals and assists - as we've seen there hasn't been many of those - but there are other areas of the game that are important. We have to treat him like every other player and hold him accountable."
Cam Talbot is expected to start in goal.
Lines will be made apparent at warmups.
-- Paul Gazzola, EdmontonOilers.com

MORNING SKATE REPORT: Oilers vs. Capitals

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Have you seen that Gallagher guy in Montreal? Yamamoto reminds me a lot of him. Give him a few more games before you crucify the guy geez. As I said watch how often Yamamoto gets open tonight in the slot and gets a quick shot off. I guarantee it happens once or twice tonight because it's happened in every other game Ive watched. Only reason he's got one goal right now is that he's rushing those shots a bit. Once he realizes he can take just a second to pick his spots they should start going in for him.

In saying that Puljujarvi's problem is that he doesn't understand the North American game enough. He is consistently in the wrong position. It's been his problem since we drafted him, and he's still not figuring it out. Not a good sign. Obviously he shows glimpses of what he could be from time to time, but similar to Nurse he never really maintains that high level of play.

Gallagher is 30lbs heavier and way stronger than Yama. Not sure how those comparisons even get made. I don't see any resemblance. What I see is a lot of hope this player can do anything up at this level. Saw the same thing last year. Soon as regular season hit the player all but disappeared.

This is a year later and the player has been topsix almost all of his minutues through 7 games and got zero points there. Only play he made happens not in topsix.

Not sure significant it is either that he gets two looks a game around the net and fluffs nothing shots at NHL goalies. The guy even in scouting reports is said to have not any great shot.

So we have here a small player that can rarely cloak into a scoring position that isn't scoring at this level.

You critique Pulju for being in the wrong position. By my take Yama is playing in the wrong league.

Last edited:

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Gallagher is 30lbs heavier and way stronger than Yama. Not sure how those comparisons even get made. I don't see any resemblance. What I see is a lot of hope this player can do anything up at this level. Saw the same thing last year. Soon as regular season hit the player all but disappeared.

This is a year later and the player has been topsix almost all of his minutues through 7 games and got zero points there. Only play he made happens not in topsix.

Not sure significant it is either that he gets two looks a game around the net and fluffs nothing shots at NHL goalies. The guy even in scouting reports is said to have not any great shot.

So we have here a small player that can rarely cloak into a scoring position that isn't scoring at this level.

He drew 3 penalties last game. He's been improving and playing very well the last two games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only reason Yamamoto is even in our top 6 is because we SEVERELY lack wingers, and Puljujarvi hasn't done enough to warrant a permanent spot. If we don't trade Eberle, and Puljujarvi is scoring at a 40-50 point pace Yamamoto never sees the top 6.

Just another reason why I hate Chia. You're preaching to the choir.

Putting Yama into an NHL topsix or top line at his age and development and size is an absolute joke. Unfortunately, in being a fan of the Oilers the joke is again on me.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
As a side note, Todd preaches accountability with Jesse yet Talbot starts.

7gp 3.15 GA .891 save%.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm a bigger Jesse fan than Yamo fan in terms of upside, however Yamo after being taken off the Drai line has been MUCH better than Jesse outside of the first game that Jesse was bumped to the Drai line mid game.

I was busy shouting praise god the moment he got pulled from the DRai line and stopped being the cooler on that line. Haven't noticed him do anything on topline other than draw a few bogus calls because he falls down at any touch. They must be working with him on that at practice.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I was busy shouting praise god the moment he got pulled from the DRai line and stopped being the cooler on that line. Haven't noticed him do anything on topline other than draw a few bogus calls because he falls down at any touch. They must be working with him on that at practice.
Wow. This post is sickening.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He has been making some quick reads and passes and has not being a detriment to that line. Physics tel you that if he is hit by a 220lb. athletic body, chances are that he gets the worst of it. To his credit he keeps popping back up.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

7gp 3.15 GA .891 save%.
You throw your goalie under the bus and its pretty much over in terms of confidence or the relationship you have. Goalies are much different then the 5 other skaters out there. You have a KHL backup that has not seen a regular game yet. Do you really think its a good idea to try him out against Washington?

I hate Mclellan but on this one i am in agreement on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He has been making some quick reads and passes and has not being a detriment to that line. Physics tel you that if he is hit by a 220lb. athletic body, chances are that he gets the worst of it. To his credit he keeps popping back up.

He should be getting back up in the AHL. The shelf on this club should be stocked with somebody more adequate to put out on Top line. putting Yama there is ridiculous. Not ready.

Didn't the flames wait multiple years developing Gaudreau, not that I'm making any comparison..

The young Yama is a severe disconnect for any top NHL line. But a McD line? jebus. It saddens me its come to this level of desperation with this org.

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016

7gp 3.15 GA .891 save%.

Todd preaches accountability after lucic played 30 games with mcdavid last year when he was clearly struggling, why? Because we need lucic to be successful. I don't see a different with JP. Need him to work

Reactions: Porkleaker

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm not saying gift Puljujarvi or any other player a tonne of ice-time, but you can utilize a player more to their strengths. And doing that now will pay dividends later in the year, hell maybe 5 games from now. Besides McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge which forwards are producing? He's good on the defensive side of the puck so what is there to lose?

I don't see signs that Lucic, Strome or Rieder are going to take off offensively, and Rattie's hurt. Yamo's playing good and I could see goals starting to go in for him, so I'm fine with his deployment. It's when Todd puts the 4th line out for the last 20 seconds of a powerplay or puts Strome out there 4 on 4 when other skill guys are rested that makes me shake my head.

It's funny you mention more to their strengths because honestly, I think the Oilers really really dont know what JP's strengths are. AND JP hasn't really shown he's good at anything consistently.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He should be getting back up in the AHL. The shelf on this club should be stocked with somebody more adequate to put out on Top line. putting Yama there is ridiculous. Not ready.

Didn't the flames wait multiple years developing Gaudreau, not that I'm making any comparison..

The young Yama is a severe disconnect for any top NHL line. But a McD line? jebus. It saddens me its come to this level of desperation with this org.

Rattie has been battling injuries and Jesse hasn't stepped up. He's the best option that we have with the possible exception of Marody until Jesse gets going. Marody reminds me a bit of a RH RNH.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

You critique Pulju for being in the wrong position. By my take Yama is playing in the wrong league.

When you hate a player, you grasp for straws.
Typical Replacement behavior. How was Patrick O'sullivan for the Oilers? Or Yakupov? I'll give you a slight pass for Gagner ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Todd preaches accountability after lucic played 30 games with mcdavid last year when he was clearly struggling, why? Because we need lucic to be successful. I don't see a different with JP. Need him to work
Difference being Lucic has shown to be effective.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When you hate a player, you grasp for straws.
Typical Replacement behavior. How was Patrick O'sullivan for the Oilers? Or Yakupov? I'll give you a slight pass for Gagner ;)

Yeah, I'm posting while upset. Fair enough. Human reaction and all that

But its real frustrating being an Oilers fan and seeing guys like McD and Drai have to endure this nature of linemate. I mean thank god at least Mcd is seeing Nuge who is more than competent. But Yama? jebus. Just makes me angry this is our topline answer now multiple games in a row. This makes life so much more difficult for McD and Nuge having to go against NHL best lines.

I don't know what other org would do this. Even as fill.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

But its real frustrating being an Oilers fan and seeing guys like McD and Drai have to endure this nature of linemate. I mean thank god at least Mcd is seeing Nuge who is more than competent. But Yama? jebus. Just makes me angry this is our topline answer now multiple games in a row. This makes life so much more difficult for McD and Nuge having to go against NHL best lines.

Okay smart guy. Who do you think should be there?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Give him a few years, and see what his weight is. Guaranteed he's up around 175-180lbs. He's a little spark plug who never quits and goes to the scoring areas. I don't see how you CANT see he plays the game similar to Gallagher. He's a hell of a lot closer to Gallagher then he is to Gaudreau.

And Puljujarvi may also be in the wrong league. Lets hope not, because we need him to turn out. Right now that doesn't seem like its gonna happen.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

If accountability applied to all players, Lucic's ass wouldn't have been stapled to Connor's ass for the last half of the season and the PP despite only scoring one PPG since last December.

Does this mean McLellen can be held accountable and put in the press box for a game or two?

:biglaugh:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

What size was Nuge when he entered the league? Were you against him being a #1 center at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad