Pre-Game Talk: 10/25/16 | Hurricanes vs Red Wings | 7:30 PM | FS-D, FS-CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Easier competition than when in top 6, better linemates than when on the 4th line.

Ideal spot for most young players trying to establish themselves, except the elite ones.

It's somewhere between 2nd and 3rd line. He played center in 3/4 of those games.

And a waste of Helm and TV skill sets imo. What does he add other than speed? Vision?, board work? passing ability?finishing ability? brain power? physicality? defensive prowess? . Does he make the line better or worse? A two line game tonight imo . We can both watch together and figure that out. I am not high on that choice. I could be wrong.Ask my wife. lol

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
and a waste of Helm and TV skill sets.. what does he add other than speed.. does he make the line better or worse?

Adds: Zone entries, puck possession, odd-man rushes

Better or worse: Better

Waste of TV's skills? Here is some of TV and AA--

We can both watch together and figure that out. I am not high on that choice. I could be wrong.Ask my wife. lol

The only concern I could see with that line is defensive play. But I think against easier matchups, they will probably have the puck a lot. And they are going to fly through the neutral zone.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And a waste of Helm and TV skill sets imo. What does he add other than speed? Vision?, board work? passing ability?finishing ability? brain power? physicality? defensive prowess? . Does he make the line better or worse? A two line game tonight imo . We can both watch together and figure that out. I am not high on that choice. I could be wrong.Ask my wife. lol
What are you even talking about? AA is a good player. He's in the process of putting it all together at the NHL level but complaining about him being on that line literally the game after he scored a great goal on that very line seems.. funny.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
On paper the Smith Sproul pairing looks abysmal. Surprisingly it works.. thus far.

Hopefully it's a case where players playing in the right position pays off. 3L and 3R back there right now so no one is playing their off side. But to be honest we don't really know what to expect from Sproul at this level, maybe the simplified NHL game just suits him or maybe he's simply come out hot. Either way Kronwall is coming back eventually, at least around a top4 level.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Adds: Zone entries, puck possession, odd-man rushes

Better or worse: Better

Waste of TV's skills? Here is some of TV and AA--

The only concern I could see with that line is defensive play. But I think against easier matchups, they will probably have the puck a lot. And they are going to fly through the neutral zone.

I can give you maybe zone entries but not odd mans, other than a breakaway, and definitely not possession until i see it.

The goal above. a low percentage shot, which is ok against a average goalie, TV finds his tape, (I wonder if AA could do the same in the same situation) , he never looked to see if there was a trailer, and he closed his eyes and scored. Not a good example for our discussion. But i am happy he got his first goal he deserved it.I also hope he has a long storied career in the NHL. It will be a shame to see tv and Helm get 7 mins of 5x5 ice time tonight. You take our most productive line and break it up? I can see moving Gus but replace him with skill . Good thing this is just Columbus

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The goal above. a low percentage shot, which is ok, TV finds his tape, (I wonder if AA could do the same in the same situation) , he never looked to see if there was a trailer, and he closed his eyes and scored. Not a good example for our discussion. But i am happy he got his first goal. It will be a shame to see tv and Helm get 7 mins of 5x5 ice time tonight. You take our most productive line and break it up. I can see moving Gus but replace him with a little more skill than AA. Good thing this is just Columbus

There is so much wrong with this post it's not even worth responding to.

Columbus, eh?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can give you maybe zone entries but not odd mans, other than breakaways, and definitely not possession until i see it.

The goal above. a low percentage shot, which is ok, TV finds his tape, (I wonder if AA could do the same in the same situation) , he never looked to see if there was a trailer, and he closed his eyes and scored. Not a good example for our discussion. But i am happy he got his first goal. It will be a shame to see tv and Helm get 7 mins of 5x5 ice time tonight. You take our most productive line and break it up. I can see moving Gus but replace him with a little more skill than AA. Good thing this is just Columbus

Why do you not think AA is skilled?

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I can give you maybe zone entries but not odd mans, other than breakaways, and definitely not possession until i see it.

Relax, boris, it's only been 6 games now. Vanek has played well and I'm sure it's not going unnoticed by coaching staff.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Why do you not think AA is skilled?

Because, like you, I have watched him play! I did not say "he was not skilled" I said that IMO his skill sets did not match up as well with that line as others would.

If you want a speed line that skates down the ice and takes the first available shot and then crashes the net for rebounds he is the guy. If you are looking for three quick passes and a weak side goal against an elite goaltender he is not. Is the probability higher that either Vanek or Helm will find him open in the slot and deliver a perfectly timed pass or that he will find either one of them in the same situation and do the same? Now I hope to eat my words.:laugh:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Helm and TV can make AA a better player. He can not make them better. He adds nothing to the line but speed and youth. Mantha is a different creature.

I didnt know Helm and Vanek were that bad they needed to be carried. :laugh:

The goal is to get the whole team going. Not about doing what's best for one particular line. Wings are not one line team. Minutes are distributed. If AA can get going with Helm and Vanek then that makes our whole team that much potent. If anything this should be seen as a move that coaching staffs trust Helm and Vanek that much more.

erichorn10

Jul 6, 2015
How is anyone not confused at why our only productive line this year (Nyquist, Helm, Vanek) is being broken up?? I understand "promoting" a player when he is hot, but the whole line has been hot together. Blashill continues to make me question if he has any idea about building chemistry, let alone a winning team. If it ain't broke....

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
How is anyone not confused at why our only productive line this year (Nyquist, Helm, Vanek) is being broken up?? I understand "promoting" a player when he is hot, but the whole line has been hot together. Blashill continues to make me question if he has any idea about building chemistry, let alone a winning team. If it ain't broke....

same line up as the Sharks game

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Personally, on matters of chemistry and leadership, I trust the opinion of anyone inside the room over EVERYONE outside of the room. Of course that's not to say Blashill is infallible but with all due respect, who are you to comment on group dynamics and chemistry amongst 23 people you haven't seen or spoken with?

It's like when fans get super critical of captaincy, as if their complete lack of interaction with the individuals qualifies them to understand room dynamics and leadership traits of the group.

I get this board exists for the sake of discussion but I just don't understand how fans feels qualified to comment on such things as if they actually have an informed opinion.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Because, like you, I have watched him play! I did not say "he was not skilled" I said that IMO his skill sets did not match up as well with that line as others would.

If you want a speed line that skates down the ice and takes the first available shot and then crashes the net for rebounds he is the guy. If you are looking for three quick passes and a weak side goal against an elite goaltender he is not. Is the probability higher that either Vanek or Helm will find him open in the slot and deliver a perfectly timed pass or that he will find either one of them in the same situation and do the same? Now I hope to eat my words.:laugh:

i'd say these things about Helm more than AA :laugh:

Athanasiou had only 4 less goals than Helm last year as a rookie in half the games and 6 minutes less ice time per game(and no powerplay time compared to 40 seconds/game)

but Helm is so skilled right?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
All lines looked good last game imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->