Injury Report: 10/19 Burns

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
OK, no candy for you then :laugh:

In all seriousness, that is very scary. I can't imagine the shock/fright you went through. That's why I had brought up the maxilla bone as a possible problem for Burns. The minute that it was reported that sinus issues were involved, I knew the stick damage went deeper than just the gums.

Yah, i agree, I'm worried it's more serious then they are letting on. Took two years for the hole in my jaw to fill completely and be 100% again. Bone grows slow.

One funny bit though is I go back to the dentist next visit and he's asking about it and all and asked if he could show my xrays at a dental conference and write a paper on it as he'd never seen it happen before. So apparently my messed up jaw is being used somewhere out there for study, hehe.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Yah, i agree, I'm worried it's more serious then they are letting on. Took two years for the hole in my jaw to fill completely and be 100% again. Bone grows slow.

One funny bit though is I go back to the dentist next visit and he's asking about it and all and asked if he could show my xrays at a dental conference and write a paper on it as he'd never seen it happen before. So apparently my messed up jaw is being used somewhere out there for study, hehe.

You're our Elephant Man :D

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

wow. here i thought a root planing was a pain. when i was a few years older than Burns my wisdom teeth came in and destroyed my back molars. had to have them surgically removed. gums sewed up etc. if that kinda thing came about early, the hard way via stick getting in there and forcing the issue... i can imagine he'll be 2 or 3 weeks until the gums heal. or he wears a full cage... ugh

Last edited:

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Ouch. That sounds gruesome.

If Burns had something remotely similar, do you think it would be noticeable? In other words, he's skating now. Reporters should be able to tell when he's talking if there was serious jaw/bone damage.

Anyhow, hope he's back soon. You can tell how much our offense suffers without him.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Ouch. That sounds gruesome.

If Burns had something remotely similar, do you think it would be noticeable? In other words, he's skating now. Reporters should be able to tell when he's talking if there was serious jaw/bone damage.

Anyhow, hope he's back soon. You can tell how much our offense suffers without him.
Agree if burns looked like a slack jawed hunchback someone would notice

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

So you must have done your own stunts as a kid?

I think I'm beginning to be more interested in hockeyball than the Sharks. :laugh:

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Not sure how much Randy knows, but for what it's worth...

Randy Hahn ‏@sharkvoice 32m
“@slimmy0420: @sharkvoice how long till we see brent burnes back in that 1st line?” Sooner rather than later I would expect.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not sure how much Randy knows, but for what it's worth...

Randy Hahn ‏@sharkvoice 32m
“@slimmy0420: @sharkvoice how long till we see brent burnes back in that 1st line?†Sooner rather than later I would expect.

That was the answer that the sharks gave when burns missed his 1st game, we are now up to game #4.

devilinto

Jan 13, 2006
Hey guys have burns in my pool. Anyone know when he is coming back. Sharks seem to be real tight lipped.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Burns has been skating (sweats only) for a few days, including this morning, before the team came out for morning skate.

Once he starts dressing fully (pads, etc.), then think he'll probably be back in within a week.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Anyone think he might possibly had a concussion? Seems way to long for sore gums and if he had damage to a bone he could wear a cage

The high stick he took is sort of like a small sucker punch but doesnt seem hard enough for anything significant compared to other high sticks people take, though he had a concussion before right? and a sinus infection

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Anyone think he might possibly had a concussion? Seems way to long for sore gums and if he had damage to a bone he could wear a cage

The high stick he took is sort of like a small sucker punch but doesnt seem hard enough for anything significant compared to other high sticks people take, though he had a concussion before right? and a sinus infection

I'm thinking swollen something in sinus region is making it hard for him to breath. That would probably be reasonable since he's skating but not playing.

RexFeral

Registered Boozer
Aug 10, 2011
Not to imply I think its the same situation, but a few years ago I go into the dentist to get my teeth cleaned and xrays. They take the xrays, and the assistant gets all quiet, then runs off to talk to the dentist. I am thoroughly weirded out at this point (I take excellent care of my teeth). Anyway he comes back and tells me "Your wisdom tooth is upside down, I have never seen anything like it". Sure enough, it is almost completely inverted inside my gums. Also, the bone is infected below it. He says I will need to see a dental surgeon, I say ok sounds good give me his number... "No no, you don't understand, you need to see a dental surgeon, like right now. I am calling one I know that is good at this, you are going over there immediately". Apparently I was in serious danger of actually dying from this as the infection was serious and they were afraid it was going to get into my blood stream.

Ended up having to have the tooth broken up, removed, and a good portion of my jaw drilled out. It all healed back as good as new, but at the time it was pretty crazy to go from dental cleaning to calling my wife and telling her she had to come take me to surgery RIGHT NOW. I expect this is sort of what is happening here, they thought Burns had a minor issue, dentist looked at it and found a bigger issue, Burns is recovering. I know I had to be very careful for a few months because my jaw was very thin where they had drilled it out and there was a good chance of it breaking in a very bad spot if I wasn't careful.

Something "sort of" similar happened to me when I went to get my wisdom teeth taken out. I went to get my X-rays and the dentist? says that there's a dark spot on my jaw and asks if I've ever broken my jaw. I thought for a while and remembered a time when I was about 12 and took a puck to the face and cut my lip up really bad but I didn't lose any teeth. Turns out it cracked my jaw, the doctors never saw it when I got my stitches and over time it created a quarter(.25$) size cavity in my jaw and they had to refill it by scraping a bunch of tissue or something.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I'm thinking swollen something in sinus region is making it hard for him to breath. That would probably be reasonable since he's skating but not playing.

He was interviewed on NHL live couple days ago and didnt sound anything out of the ordinary. I think if he just had trouble breathing he would of been practicing the whole time to stay in shape and could still breath through his mouth anyway

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I agree in thinking it's a concussion now. He said something when he was on NHL Network talking about the charity shave and they asked him about how he was doing, he said something along the lines of "I just want to be smart with it"... I mean that could refer to anything i guess. But I'm starting to think concussion makes the most sense. Especially considering how tight lipped the Sharks are being (even more so than usual if that's possible).

:(

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
With Pads!!! Progress!!! LOL :cry:

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 2h
Brent Burns skated solo again this morning. First time I’ve seen him in pads - last week he had on just a helmet #SJSharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->