Bruins Centennial 10/19/1966 - Red Wings at Bruins - Bobby Orr's first NHL shift! - no audio

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a short video that includes the first shift of Hall of Fame Bruins defenseman Bobby Orr in the National Hockey League, during an Oct. 19, 1966 game against the Detroit Red Wings at Boston Garden.It was the season-opener for both clubs, and the highly touted rookie had an assist as the Bruins beat legendary veteran Gordie Howe and the Red Wings, 6-2.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is a short video that includes the first shift of Hall of Fame Bruins defenseman Bobby Orr in the National Hockey League, during an Oct. 19, 1966 game against the Detroit Red Wings at Boston Garden.It was the season-opener for both clubs, and the highly touted rookie had an assist as the Bruins beat legendary veteran Gordie Howe and the Red Wings, 6-2.

Phenomenal

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Thank you for posting this great video. You can see the elite skating ability in that rush up the ice. Bobby's partner on D was Gilles Marotte (#10), who was in his 2nd NHL season and was very highly regarded.

If you recall, Marotte was included in the famous Esposito, Stanfield, Hodge trade, along with Pit Martin and G Jack Norris. The Hawks were thrilled to get Marotte, but he never lived up to the very lofty expectations, but had a solid 12-year NHL career with da Broons, Hawks, Kings, Rangers, and Blues. He was traded from the Hawks in Feb 1970 in a trade, that ironically included Jim Stanfield going to the Kings with goalie Dennis DeJordy, in exchange for G Gerry Desjardins, D Bill White, and C Brian Campbell. The trade was a steal for the Hawks. The Hawks won the league that year before losing to da Broons in 4 straight in the 2nd round (Game 4 was one of the best games I have ever seen, won on a McKenzie goal 5-4 in the last 2 minutes; Dan Kelly's call was classic: "Cleared by the Hawks, but not out; McKenzie to Stanfield, back to McKenzie," and then he was silent because the Gahden crowd told the viewers that Pie scored (top shelf short side over Tony O)). The Hawks went to the finals in 71 and 73, losing to Montreal both times (they should have won that series in 71; Hawks were up in Game 7, 2-0, when Bobby Hull hit the post, and then "Onery" Richard scored from 85 feet to make in 2-1).

I've posted before that the Esposito trade was not seen as that lopsided at the time it was made. Esposito had better stats than Pit Martin at the time -- 104 pts vs 71 pts in their two previous seasons. Pit Martin was da Broons' only 20-goal scorer the previous season, to Bucyk's 18, and Pie McKenzie's 17. He would have 4 seasons with the Hawks of 29 or more goals. Ken Hodge had 132 GP, 16 G, 42 A and 58 pts in his two-year NHL career, and Fred Stanfield had 107 GP, 10 G, 12 A for 22 pts. Not great stats. Despite losing both Bernie Parent and Doug Favell to the Flyers in the expansion draft, da Broons still had Cheevers and EJ in goal, so trading Jack Norris seemed reasonable. Of course all 3 players acquired by Milt Schmidt exploded with their new team, making the trade of the best 5 trades of all time in the NHL, perhaps the best.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’ve said this numerous times before, and I’ll keep saying it for as long as I remain a member of this site - it is absolutely CRIMINAL that the National Hockey League does not have an “NFL Films” to gather and archive as much NHL film as possible. The NFL films every single play of every single game from multiple angles, and has every complete game going back to the mid-1960s. Even with the number of NHL games per season, current technology allows for every minute of every game to be recorded, digitized, and archived.

The NHL should actively be trying to track down as many old games as possible and archive them for future generations.

The NHL never runs when it can crawl.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I’ve said this numerous times before, and I’ll keep saying it for as long as I remain a member of this site - it is absolutely CRIMINAL that the National Hockey League does not have an “NFL Films” to gather and archive as much NHL film as possible. The NFL films every single play of every single game from multiple angles, and has every complete game going back to the mid-1960s. Even with the number of NHL games per season, current technology allows for every minute of every game to be recorded, digitized, and archived.

The NHL should actively be trying to track down as many old games as possible and archive them for future generations.

Absolutely! They would rather promote hockey in Arizona and plan to go back again to Atlanta vs the incredible and forgotten history of what built the game. Pathetic really when you think of it.

Reactions: rfournier103

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005

When CBS and NBC broadcasted the Sunday afternoon games, they didn't save the games; they recorded over them.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Absolutely! They would rather promote hockey in Arizona and plan to go back again to Atlanta vs the incredible and forgotten history of what built the game. Pathetic really when you think of it.
There exists more film of professional football than any other subject except WWII thanks to NFL Films. For example, every single snap of every game of the entire Patriots Dynasty has been archived and preserved in perpetuity by the NFL.

Does video exist of every game of the Bruins’ 2011 season? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? And if so, I’m certain that one would have to track it all down from the various broadcasters who televised the games over the course of that season.

I love the Boston Bruins.

The NHL? Not so much.
When CBS and NBC broadcasted the Sunday afternoon games, they didn't save the games; they recorded over them.
Those motherboards.
(My iPhone’s auto correct. I didn’t type ‘motherboards.’)

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Great video Kevin, thanks for posting it. I wish it were the whole game but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Reactions: rfournier103

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Wow he really looks behind the play here. Poor defense and rubber legs leading to a scoring chance against.

I liked his draft profile, but I don't think he's gonna stay around. Rather see Forbort with those minutes.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Nice and BTW Love those jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad