GDT: 10/18/2019 Game 8: Detroit Red Wings @ Edmonton Oilers (9pm EST)

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
It's to be expected, hot start.. Super cold steak.. It's the up's and downs for this year, just like last. If anything we should be happy about this, it's what we all wanted, to bottom out and this year and last we truly have. We may not have first overall pick we all wanted but it's not for the fact management hasn't tried.. We have had bad lottery luck.

We have embraced the rebuild, thats all I asked... Next year may be even younger. Regardless we are trying to suck for the betterment of the future, the quest to just squeak bye is finally gone. I'm ok if we are good next year or 4 years from now, as long as it means we are back on the path to continued success and not short term gains.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Some thoughts...
* Everyone seems to be talking up Hronek. But i thought he struggled tonight. His reverse pass behind the net to a defensive partner under pressure led to one goal against. He was out there for another GA. He's on the ice for 10 GA now. Worst on the team.
* AA - on the ice for 8 goals against now. And 0 goals for. Ouch. Look, i thought he had a good first period. And i think he's still impacted by that back injury that sidelined him most of camp and the first two games of the year. But he's pinned in his own end WAY too much. Too many onehanded, stickchecks. The other thing was, when he was out there for the 6 on 5 at the end, kind of standing behind the net, making himself open to nobody. ....
This guy, with all his faults, could be a 40 goal man. If he'd wake the hell up, who knows. he did have a good first period tonight. it was frustrating to watch him play with guys who can't ever find him with the puck.
* Taro Hirose is doing absolutely nothing. He's been utterly useless since the start of the season. It's astonishing how much rope he's been given.
* Adam Erne is another mystery. Yzerman suggested he had skill. Well, that's been hard to spot so far.
* Abdelkader, Helm and Dela Rose have continued to be very solid. But today, they didn't have it.
* One day after Mike Green's career looked nearly over, he responded with a real nice game.
* Trevor Daley sucks.
* The first line had a few great flurries but it seems their luck has run out. Larkin rang it off the bar. Mantha was pretty invisible tonight.
* Jurco took a minus tonight despite a 10vs5 CF. Felt bad for him. He's been playing on a shit line and it seems their only job is to dump and chase. Kid can't catch a break.
* McDavid and Drai are paid well and paid fairly.
* A long time ago, I really loved Zack Kassian and wanted to trade for him. His career went sidewise. It's great to see him playing well again.
* Luke Glendening has zero business in the top six on an NHL team.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
As a positive note the Wings are still doing much better than last season. We're still losing winnable games, but at least we actually won a couple of them this time.

My biggest fear is that our "kids" never turn the corner. We've drafted a lot of (potential) high end talent but unless Mantha starts having more 4 goal games - none of them are super stars. Even the Wings best players (Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA) - which of them would be top 3 on any of the good teams in the league? None, except maaaaybe Mantha.

I just wish we'd stop getting cucked with these #6 overall picks. We need a real cornerstone that can carry the franchise over the hump and get us back to playoff hockey.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The good:

Larkin still looks good
Hronek has his warts in his own end, but he looks like the #2 PMD of the future if he continues to develop.
Bernier kept this game closer than it should have been.

The meh:

Most of the team. Not bad, but jesus they are like watching paint dry.
AA is definitely meh. He showed a couple flashes, but a lot of the night he was trying to be too fancy, or watching the play

The bad:

Hirose: He needs to go to the AHL for awhile.
Abdelkader: He gets caught watching the play way too much.

This is what I expect most of the season to look like. A lot of being on the wrong side of one goal games. A lot of uninspired play by over the hill veterans and good, bad and ugly play from young players that will keep us watching.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Hirose needs to go to GR. He is not an NHL player at the moment. We have 5 players on the team who are NHL calibre players lol...

Gonna be a long year guys.

On the bright side, we are saving money on a AA extension with every game that passes. He's got a +/- that would make any golfer envious.
I feel the same regarding Mantha, and a contract extension...Many fans wanted Yzerman to sign him immediately after his 4 goal performance...Best to wait it out.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
As a positive note the Wings are still doing much better than last season. We're still losing winnable games, but at least we actually won a couple of them this time.

My biggest fear is that our "kids" never turn the corner. We've drafted a lot of (potential) high end talent but unless Mantha starts having more 4 goal games - none of them are super stars. Even the Wings best players (Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA) - which of them would be top 3 on any of the good teams in the league? None, except maaaaybe Mantha.

I just wish we'd stop getting cucked with these #6 overall picks. We need a real cornerstone that can carry the franchise over the hump and get us back to playoff hockey.

you had me at cucked

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I feel the same regarding Mantha, and a contract extension...Many fans wanted Yzerman to sign him immediately after his 4 goal performance...Best to wait it out.
Mantha is a poor man's Franzen minus the concussions. Very streaky. He shouldn't get north of 6 per.

Reactions: FMichael

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I was not able to watch the game last night. The box score gives the impression of a respectable loss. My impression going in was another slaughter in Alberta with McDavid and Draisaitl unleashing hell. The consolation prize being fantasy points. Didn't happen.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Mantha is a poor man's Franzen minus the concussions. Very streaky. He shouldn't get north of 6 per.
Franzen was streaky as well. I'm not sure that Mantha is a poor man's Franzen. Franzen had the benefit of playing with better players around him. I'd rather have Mantha on this team than a prime Franzen, all else being equal with the surrounding cast.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
in his prime with guys like the twins and nick lidstrom mule was a 30-30 guy for a few years , his zenith was low 30s in goals . i guarantee mantha with that team would brake 50 in assists and 40 in goals while being a rugged power forward that backed people down with his fist , and having better wheels than franzen . thats why i said .30 , no disrespect to mule but manthas a level above . its just that playing with the worst d in nhl and not having a twin to feed him til recently has held him back . but now do the eye test and its blatantly obvious manthas become an elite level power forward

Reactions: GMR

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
in his prime with guys like the twins and nick lidstrom mule was a 30-30 guy for a few years , his zenith was low 30s in goals . i guarantee mantha with that team would brake 50 in assists and 40 in goals while being a rugged power forward that backed people down with his fist , and having better wheels than franzen . thats why i said .30 , no disrespect to mule but manthas a level above . its just that playing with the worst d in nhl and not having a twin to feed him til recently has held him back . but now do the eye test and its blatantly obvious manthas become an elite level power forward

Franzen put up 41 points in 54 games at the age of 34 near the end of his career in a season where Lidstrom was retired and Datsyuk/Zetterberg both missed half the season

league scoring was like 10-15% lower at the time too

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'll seriously discuss a Franzen vs Mantha discussion as soon as Mantha is nominated for a Selke award.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Franzen was streaky as well. I'm not sure that Mantha is a poor man's Franzen. Franzen had the benefit of playing with better players around him. I'd rather have Mantha on this team than a prime Franzen, all else being equal with the surrounding cast.
No.way.Ever.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Why does he have to be nominated for that? Franzen was? I don't recall that.
Franzen got a few votes early in his career.

The point, obviously, is that Franzen was a much more complete player. He was useful when he wasn't scoring. He killed penalties. And he occasionally turned into a frickin animal when it mattered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad