GDT: 10/18/2019 Game 8: Detroit Red Wings @ Edmonton Oilers (9pm EST)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Like that, Larkin skates away from his defenseman who's double teamed.

This team makes so many dumb things like this. They don't support the puck well, they don't win board battles, they put pucks into skates of guys who are covered anyway.

And the Oil seemed to be doing whatever they can to throw this away.

Reactions: odin1981

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Nice foodie time for me to make up for the snoozer of a game. It was nice that it was close in comparison to their last 3 but it was boring.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Well a somewhat bright spot is that they were buzzing at the end of the game and had the Oilers on their heels. And they only gave up 2 goals to a team that's red hot right now.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hirose needs to go to GR. He is not an NHL player at the moment. We have 5 players on the team who are NHL calibre players lol...

Gonna be a long year guys.

On the bright side, we are saving money on a AA extension with every game that passes. He's got a +/- that would make any golfer envious.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Top line looked really good again and created a goal. No depth scoring is going to kill this team all year. Top line+Hronek is really fun to watch though and then they lose which works out perfectly I guess. I thought Hronek was the best D again tonight which is a good trend for him. Hes the best D on Detroit more and more often, hes trending the right way for sure.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dekeyser has resurrected himself a bit this year. The guy was not playing this well the past couple of years.

Really since him and Hronek became partners. Hronek brings out the best in DeKeyser.

I hope Cholo can really round himself out, but man the Hronek crowd were dead right, he is the best of the young guys we have by a lot. Hopefully with Seider up soon we have the right side top two pairings that is an amazing thing, finally a big building block, Larkin and Mantha up front, hopefully our high pick, I am hoping Byfield, but our building block, core players have often been impressive this year. It will be a long year at times, but I do think we are building things and I enjoy that part of the process as well.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Hirose needs to go to GR. He is not an NHL player at the moment. We have 5 players on the team who are NHL calibre players lol...

Gonna be a long year guys.

On the bright side, we are saving money on a AA extension with every game that passes. He's got a +/- that would make any golfer envious.
We have more than 5 NHL caliber players, it just seems like we only have 5 because a team collectively bereft of talent has many players slotted above their talent level.

Agree on Hirose. Too bad for AA, but he has time to pull out a 50pt season, though it doesn't look good for him right now. If he puts up 40+, he'll likely get 4.75-4.9M x 5-6 yrs.

0-4 streak, being outscored 17-5, not even gonna post all the other stats. Something's gotta give.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Nothing really new from this game. Our first line remains either defensively solid or a danger. Our 4th line is overpaid but pretty good as a 4th line. The rest of the forwards are AA's speed, Hirose getting outmuscled and a whole load of meh, either past their best or being good 4th line forwards. On D Hronek and Dekeyser are a good 2nd pair playing too high, Green is good in the opposition zone but nowhere else, Nemeth looks a solid pick-up who won't put up points, and Daley and Bowey are borderline competent bottom pair D at their best.

Edmonton's record flatters them. They've get the two big guns up front who are top draw, a decent 2nd line center and James Neal is hot. The rest maybe even worse than our forwards. On D I like Klefblom, and the rest are just competent.

They'll come back down to earth soon, and if we had a genuine 1st D pairing and a 2nd line center of any real quality, we might have beaten them despite their superstars. Either way, the wings will be fun when the top line is on the ice, but the rest of the season will just be intrigue at the development of those without a full NHL season under their belts. And if we get Lafreniere or Byfield or Raymond or Holtz it'll be worth it, and possibly with Perfetti or Lundell or Drysdale too. Surely we are due some lottery luck?

In other news, water remains wet...

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Time to really start calling out the coach imo, despite not having much to work with. Blashill’s decisions often make little sense. He won’t hold vets accountable. He rarely gets the most out of his players. Every year under his watch it’s been sloppy, lazy, uninspired hockey. I still have no clue what his system or strategy is. His teams simply have had no identity.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Top line looked really good again and created a goal. No depth scoring is going to kill this team all year. Top line+Hronek is really fun to watch though and then they lose which works out perfectly I guess. I thought Hronek was the best D again tonight which is a good trend for him. Hes the best D on Detroit more and more often, hes trending the right way for sure.

I love Hron, but personally I think this was his worst game of the season so far. He did prevent a lot of scoring chances in his own end once EDM established possession, but he really couldn't create any offense or transition the puck into their zone, and spend more time defending than any other defenseman tonight. (He had the worst expected goal percentage on Detroit tonight.) He had a few rough zone exit attempts, two that resulted in icings.

He'll bounce back, I'm not worried in the slightest (he was facing the toughest assignments and had to deal the most with Drai/McD in his defense), but the past two games vs Calgary and Edmonton kinda remind me of the stretch back in March where Green was hurt and he was matching up with top lines and his possession metrics and production regressed. Around mid March, when Larkin came back from his injury and Mantha started getting hot, he just became a completely different player, playing like a legit 1D, despite dealing with the same assignments he was before the team got clicking again. The same should happen once the team gets out of this stretch and just starts playing better hockey.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
What I can't work out is how Pavelski to Dallas appears to have screwed both Dallas and San Jose. The Wild's cliff drop seems to have arrived ahead of schedule, and of course Ottawa and the Kings will be BAD. Still have faith in our ability to finish bottom 3 despite the top line all ending up with at least 0.7 ppg...

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Also, I was genuinely stunned how awful Bowey was tonight. He lost every puck battle, turned over the puck every shift, every time he tried to get the puck out, it came back to an Oiler player, etc. etc. Very hard to watch.

At this point, he's the worst defenseman on the team, and that's saying something. Guy isn't good and shouldn't be in the NHL.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Also, I was genuinely stunned how awful Bowey was tonight. He lost every puck battle, turned over the puck every shift, every time he tried to get the puck out, it came back to an Oiler player, etc. etc. Very hard to watch.

At this point, he's the worst defenseman on the team, and that's saying something. Guy isn't good and shouldn't be in the NHL.
Yeah, he stunk the place out tonight. He looked better after the trade last year and in pre-season, but the last few games he has been v poor.

Reactions: NotLeddy

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Hirose will be a good player, some day. But the more games he plays, the more "behind the play" or the weaker he looks.

And I'm noticing a trend that just about all of the young players are doing. They are questioning where to engage the situations on the ice. I noticed it in the Montreal game and it was really noticeable, tonight. Not sure if there are mixed signals being given by the coaches, but it looks like the young players don't know how to engage the forecheck nor how to pressure the other team around our blue line. As well, there is so much passing going on with no shots by people who need to shoot more. I think the summation of this was actually by Nielsen in the last 9 seconds when he has the puck, with a clear lane to shoot and 2 Red Wings players in front of the net, but decides it's not the right angle, or something, and holds the puck too long and gets no real shot attempt on goal. Just seemed like that was a thing for most of the night. I understand playing a team game, but I think it's not clear to the players what that means, at times, because their double-clutching on decisions looks pretty apparent.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
The Wings played a much better game tonight. Scoring chances were up but couldn't finish. Green actually played a good game. Bernier second star of the game played great stopped 35 of 37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad