GDT: 10/17/23 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Buffalo

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
ABB outplayed merela imho, and deserves to stay.
I don't see that last night, also ABB get a lot of minutes in regular and PP time, Merela doesn't had that chance. I don't like neither player, just trying to be fair with Merela, ABB needs a miracle to stay in the big club the waiver of the last week was a clear message and all of his chances during the recent seasons never worked for him.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
I thank the hockey gods for Hagel as he's been our best forward almost every game, and for Cirelli as others pointed out.

Both Point or Kucherov look like they want this year's long offseason to be a little longer. Kucherov was turning over pucks like a card dealer as quick as it hit his stick. They both look like they just want skip straight to the playoffs. Serge repeatedly shows despite having all the physical talent you could want, his decision making leads to at least one gaffe every game. In addition to that, he's also having a slow start. Maybe he's in a depression for not being the QB1 yet.

I was encouraged that we weren't blown out with after the Sabres went up 2-0. They have a ridiculous amount of young talent. The score should have been closer earlier but literally everyone on the team shot wide when they'd get a chance. That's one of the things I like about Eyssimont - when he gets a chance to shoot, he gets it on net and it often causes a rebound.

I thought Jeannot had a really good game and I'd like to see his current line stay together. Definitely don't want to see him back on the 4th line with Glendenning now that he's starting to show something. ABB also looked like he belonged on the top line, but I think he gets bumped when Stamkos comes back and they keep Hagel - Cirelli - Jeannot together.

It was great we battled back to tie, but then the Sabres put us down like an old dog in overtime.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
The worst thing he traded the futures for three years for Jeanott too. It will be a long road to rebuild. If I’m Stammer there’s no way in hell I resign. Take the money someone else is going to offer because JBB does not see it as important to resign hm.
Future was traded long before Jeannot every pulled on a Lightning jersey. Looking forward to the day when more folks posting on this site wake up and finally realize that.

You cannot complain about the team not going all in now one post, then complain about the team giving away the future to win now in your next post.

Last edited:
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Here everyone, here is your problem

1697650697245.png

Sergachev and Raddysh pair is not working. All though the analytics say it "should" work. Maybe its just them ramping up, and it will slowly get better. But right now, its f***ing abysmal. Those numbers are f***ing terrible.

Point, Kucherov are playing so damn lazy. Again, maybe its a ramp up thing, but they need to get their heads out of their asses. Putting ABB with them might kick start them, but I don't believe it. I don't think putting another lazy defensive player with them is the smart idea.

Paul's minus 4 is surprising, but that might be because he's stapled with Sheary who I honestly think forgot what he's here to do. I don't know if its the system, I don't know if he is still adjusting, but by god he needs to get better and get better quick. I do think Sheary will wrap his head around it, I think he will end the season with similar numbers to Colton last year for half the price this year.

Also I have been around long enough for people to know that I am not Captain Positive at all, but even I think this shit is getting ridiculous. People are blaming Jeannot for what JBB paid for him, even though Jeannot is outperforming our Top forwards aside from Hagel, Stamkos, Cirelli.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I dunno, I thought Kuch and Point had a couple good chances. Kuch cranked one off the crossbar. Point was stopped at least two times point blank, he will get a goal soon I’m sure. Last season he had three stretches of at least four goalless games (up to six games even) and still potted 51. Just a bit snakebitten and a small sample size.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think its worth trying him with Kucherov/Point a little more but I don't have a lot of optimism there. We need to find a way to get them going without putting Hagel back on that line. The problem is those guys work best with a puck hound, and I don't see ABB winning a ton of battles.
ABB seems more... assertive(?)... this go round? But I don't see him creating much still. He's just kind of bland. I don't see a skill that stands out.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I dunno, I thought Kuch and Point had a couple good chances. Kuch cranked one off the crossbar. Point was stopped at least two times point blank, he will get a goal soon I’m sure. Last season he had three stretches of at least four goalless games (up to six games even) and still potted 51. Just a bit snakebitten and a small sample size.

Just because they're snakebitten doesn't excuse the 8 turnovers between them a game, Kucherov on particular has been excelling at giving the other team breakout passes.

ABB seems more... assertive(?)... this go round? But I don't see him creating much still. He's just kind of bland. I don't see a skill that stands out.

Well Merula who everyone wanted because he skates fast hasn't used his speed to generate anything in double the amount of games. Both have been disappointing.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Had the same thought. I think they've been getting outplayed a bit in the early game, but last night they were both pretty dangerous when we were pressing for a tie. Point played a big part in the tying goal.

I would like to see a little more urgency from everyone though. I think we've gotten so used to winning that we have forgotten that doesn't just start happening on its own sooner or later.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just because they're snakebitten doesn't excuse the 8 turnovers between them a game, Kucherov on particular has been excelling at giving the other team breakout passes.

Well Merula who everyone wanted because he skates fast hasn't used his speed to generate anything in double the amount of games. Both have been disappointing.
Kuch has always been the turnover overlord. He makes high risk plays, when they work he’s god, when they don’t he’s ass.

Merela got like 5 minutes of ice time last game on the 4th line. Hard to make a difference then.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kuch has always been the turnover overlord. He makes high risk plays, when they work he’s god, when they don’t he’s ass.

Merela got like 5 minutes of ice time last game on the 4th. Hard to make a difference then.

Perhaps his ice time is decreasing because he's not doing anything?

Reactions: Peacefool

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Perhaps his ice time is decreasing because he's not doing anything?

He is also a defensive minded forward first and foremost. 67% dzone draws and on the 2nd PK. Last night he had 3 shots on goal and 2 hits and he's a rookie, I think he's playing fine and 10+ minutes of ice time is more than enough for him right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah I feel like hes been fine. I'm not sure how much offensive upside is there, so I'm also not mad if he's a fringe player most of the year. Somebody has to be that guy.

Seems like Coop is giving ABB a real shot to stick. Cant ask for better placement. I think he's been... I dont know... just okay? Like, Point and Kucherov were dangerous all night. And ABB wasnt dragging them down, but he also, at least in my view, didnt seem to be adding much to the recipe.

I hope we go with it for a few more games though, if only because I like the idea of Hagel and Stamkos adding scoring elsewhere. Hagel seems to be getting better at creating his own offense, and that would be nice to have somewhere other than the top line.

Reactions: Hoek

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Merelä is not some teenage prospect with big upside that should require him to be higher in the lineup, or getting big minutes in the AHL. If Coop thinks him being on the 4th line playing a defensive role is the best for this team, then that's where he should be.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Hes played like 5 games? Played decently too. Other stuff will come when they sort out possession problems.
I mean; he’s 25 and never been a big scorer in any league. It’s ok to temper offensive expectations. This board likes to think anyone new is a potential 40 goal scorer and are disappointed when they don’t reach that level.

But I do feel like he has more to give to the game once he gets his feeling for the speed. I liked his ice time against the Canucks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean; he’s 25 and never been a big scorer in any league. It’s ok to temper offensive expectations. This board likes to think anyone new is a potential 40 goal scorer and are disappointed when they don’t reach that level.

But I do feel like he has more to give to the game once he gets his feeling for the speed. I liked his ice time against the Canucks.
Every new player is a shiny new toy, and then when they ONLY live up to their potential...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad