GDT: 10/17/2019 Game 7: Detroit Red Wings @ Calgary Flames (9pm EST)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is Yzerman's team. He chose to go after Erne and sign Filppula & Nemeth. He's the one at the helm for sending all of the kids back to GR in favor of Ehn, DLR, Erne, etc. We could have ran some more skilled kids out there, or the Wings could have went after UFA like Marleau and Vanek. Yeah, guys that might not be great, but they would have been legit scoring options in the middle6.

Yzerman, by all appearances, chose to go barebones this season.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
This is Yzerman's team. He chose to go after Erne and sign Filppula & Nemeth. He's the one at the helm for sending all of the kids back to GR in favor of Ehn, DLR, Erne, etc. We could have ran some more skilled kids out there, or the Wings could have went after UFA like Marleau and Vanek. Yeah, guys that might not be great, but they would have been legit scoring options in the middle6.

Omg..

Just because a player is to be considered talented doesn't mean he is ready for the NHL. Veleno has talent, Zadina has talent, Rasmussen has talent, Seider has talent, Svechnikov has talent... that doesn't mean they belong in the NHL. It also doesn't mean they would do better than Ehn, DLR, Erne, etc. What the hell is the rush? Do we really want to try and make the playoffs this year? No. This team will probably not be "contending" until the 2021-2022 season.

And give me a break on Marleau and Vanek. Vanek was awful last year and Marleau isn't s*** without the players around him at his age. You think Marleau would perform playing with Ehn and Erne? Hell no.

Yzerman is doing the right thing. Let the kids get some experience on a professional team and then move them up when the time is ready. This is not the right time.

Reactions: RedMenace

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
In 7 games so far at 5v5...

Darren Helm
2.27 p1/60 (3rd best on the team after Mantha and Larkin)
55.1 CF% (best on the team)
60.77 XGF% (best on the team)
His PDO is surprisingly 100 as well (Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi all have a PDO around 106, which is pretty worrying).

I'm really encouraged by what I see from him so far this season, although he shouldn't be on the top line.
I'm hoping he can stay consistent and healthy this season and maybe get around 20 goals and be a good trade deadline asset (especially considering how disappointing Green has been through the first 7 games as he's our biggest trade chip).

Probably getting suspended tonight though, I'm expecting two games.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Ken Holland really left the cupboard bare. Even his picks like Zadina are a huge question mark. This guy has set the franchise back 5 years

Disagree. Taking Zadina where we took him was a gift to the team. He’s still very young and needs some more time to adjust. Let the wings “over ripen” him as the franchise was notorious for doing. This team isn’t supposed to be a top 3 team in the division. If the stars align, maybe we finish 4th, but even then I wouldn’t bet on it.

This team is built to tank/have some of the younger guys learn the ropes of the big league, so eventually they can be the wings of the 1990s-2010.

Just give it a few years.

Reactions: ChelisChiliBar

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Omg..

Just because a player is to be considered talented doesn't mean he is ready for the NHL. Veleno has talent, Zadina has talent, Rasmussen has talent, Seider has talent, Svechnikov has talent... that doesn't mean they belong in the NHL. It also doesn't mean they would do better than Ehn, DLR, Erne, etc. What the hell is the rush? Do we really want to try and make the playoffs this year? No. This team will probably not be "contending" until the 2021-2022 season.

And give me a break on Marleau and Vanek. Vanek was awful last year and Marleau isn't s*** without the players around him at his age. You think Marleau would perform playing with Ehn and Erne? Hell no.

Yzerman is doing the right thing. Let the kids get some experience on a professional team and then move them up when the time is ready. This is not the right time.

There's no point where that post is suggesting that Yzerman is doing the wrong thing. It's a statement of fact. We have talented players in the organization that Yzerman & Co. decided were not ready enough to force their way onto the roster. The options like Ehn, DLR, and Erne are not very good NHL players and aren't going to produce numbers. Players like Vanek or Marleau are more talented than Erne, DLR, and Ehn, even at an advanced age, and have shown in the past that they can make players around them better despite losing a step. Doesn't mean that they are a good decision to bring in onto this team.

Don't get so bent out of shape over what is quite literally a statement of fact, not an opinion post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Not sure why some people are complaining so much. Didn't we all already know that the team was gonna be bad this season?

We'll probably see good individual years out of guys like Mantha, Larkin, and Bert, but that's probably gonna be it - depth issues on the team are just too big of an obstacle to overcome.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There's no point where that post is suggesting that Yzerman is doing the wrong thing. It's a statement of fact. We have talented players in the organization that Yzerman & Co. decided were not ready enough to force their way onto the roster. The options like Ehn, DLR, and Erne are very good NHL players and aren't going to produce numbers. Players like Vanek or Marleau are more talented than Erne, DLR, and Ehn, even at an advanced age, and have shown in the past that they can make players around them better despite losing a step. Doesn't mean that they are a good decision to bring in onto this team.

Don't get so bent out of shape over what is quite literally a statement of fact, not an opinion post.

Yeah, I think the intent of my post is being missed a bit, which is at least partly my fault. For all of the lamenting about what holland has done to this team...Yzerman is the guy who filled out the roster for this season. The Wings aren't icing as much talent as they could have, and pursued UFA/trades that didn't exactly place an emphasis on adding talent. That's on Yzerman. Meanwhile, in a year or so when we're hopefully seeing Zadina, Rasmussen, and Veleno establishing themselves as NHLers and seeing Cholo and Hronek take on bigger roles, how many people are going to give Holland the credit for drafting those guys?

We don’t need the Marleau’s and Vanek’s of the world. We need a Byfield or Lafraniere.

I'm not sure Marleau and/or Vanek would have made this team significantly better, but I think they'd have made them easier to watch. The Wings might have been able to ice a second line that didn't include Luke Glendening, for example. And with how the draft lotto is set up, even being the straight up worst club in the league has limited benefits.

The Wings are clearly not putting a lot of effort towards putting a good team on the ice this season, but I can see benefits towards icing a bit more talent versus the straight up suck we went with.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

Those are the kind of moves Holland would have made...

Yzerman is running a proper rebuild. This is what proper rebuilds look like. Build a roster where you can field a team every night that has a good shot of losing no matter what. Get a top-five pick. Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: odin1981

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Red Wings need some scoring help on the 2nd line for sure. Doesn't help when the coach is acting like this a Xbox game and mis-matches every line to create... "depth".

- Red Wings trade LW/C Andras Anthansiou, D Trevor Daley(50% salary), RHD Madison Bowey, LW/RW Filip Zadina and a 2nd and 3rd round pick to the Devils for LW Taylor Hall who signs a 5 year extension worth 45 million dollars.

Tyler Bertuzzi – (A)Dylan Larkin – Anthony Mantha
Taylor Hall – (A)Frans Nielson –Taro Hirose
Adam Erne Valtteri Filppula – (A)Luke Glendening
Darren Helm – Jacob de le Rose – (A)Justin Abdelkader

* Christoffer Ehn, C/LW/RW

I know Red Wings are in rebuild mode but Halls a solid player to go after if he's willing to sign an extension like Mark Stone. Adds a legit second line threat, prolly should be on a first line but I don't wanna break that unit up. Spread out the depth. Just cost a lot. Can't see the Wings doing this unless they remain competitive/playoff picture through, idk, December. :confused:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Those are the kind of moves Holland would have made...

Yzerman is running a proper rebuild. This is what proper rebuilds look like. Build a roster where you can field a team every night that has a good shot of losing no matter what. Get a top-five pick. Rinse, repeat.

You don't think we had a good shot at losing every night for the past two years? This team is going to be awful regardless, but if you create an environment where there is essentially no hope on a night to night basis, you're inviting a situation where guys just don't care. And that's not an environment that's easy to overcome, regardless of the talent you plug into it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Lindholm should be suspended:

Shouldn't be suspended (doesn't seem like he really got Helm that much, otherwise Helm wouldn't have gotten up so quickly), but he should be shamed for that acting performance. Guy acted like he was run over by a f***ing bus after trying to play tough.

Reactions: RedMenace

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You don't think we had a good shot at losing every night for the past two years? This team is going to be awful regardless, but if you create an environment where there is essentially no hope on a night to night basis, you're inviting a situation where guys just don't care. And that's not an environment that's easy to overcome, regardless of the talent you plug into it.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you implying Yzerman is helping foster a "losing environment"?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you implying Yzerman is helping foster a "losing environment"?

I think it's a risk any team runs if they choose to ice a team that has no realistic shot at even competing 90% of the time (slight exaggeration. maybe.). Is Yzerman's goal to foster an environment where guys are more likely to accept failure? No, I don't think that's any GM's goal. But I think that's a risk a team runs with a truly awful team. You have to decide if being that extra bit of awful is worth it.

Reactions: NEWing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad