GDT: 10/15/19 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Montréal

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not a great performance, but I'll take the W. We tend to win on big individual efforts.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Give me a win in Boston and I can chill. A stinker every 5-6 games is gonna happen but if we had crapped the bed tonight it would have been 3 times already. I don't want to see us grow bad habits early and often this year.

I'm curious what our Montreal record is these last 10-15 years. I was telling my friend that seems to be the one place we win consistently and I haven't sweated a game there what feels like my entire fandom. Especially when Vinny and Marty were straight owning their ass every night putting on a spectacle making the crowd froth at the mouth that two natives would not be playing for them

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We got a win against an inferior team, it wasn't the best win. It was a win, better than taking a L to Ottawa. The team needs to learn to struggle and battle through adversity. Not breaking records and barely getting in would not be a bad thing.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We wouldn’t be freaking out so much if it wasn’t for the debacle at the end of last season. Things haven’t looked good since then, it feels like Columbus broke us

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Good response after the OTT game, but they've got so much work to do in limiting the chances against and getting their own shots up. It's a roll of the dice if your opponent is outshooting you by double digits every game. Hell, Jeff Petry had 6 shots himself for MTL. From a D. Stamkos had one.

Lots of work to be done, but a w is a w

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
they've got so much work to do in limiting the chances against and getting their own shots up.
Agree completely. An ideal way to do this is not take 5 penalties while only getting the PP only once. Not much we can do to get more PP opportunities, the refs got to call them, but we can do something about getting penalities called on us. Clean it up.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Good response after the OTT game, but they've got so much work to do in limiting the chances against and getting their own shots up. It's a roll of the dice if your opponent is outshooting you by double digits every game. Hell, Jeff Petry had 6 shots himself for MTL. From a D. Stamkos had one.

Lots of work to be done, but a w is a w
I didn't think we gave up too many chances honestly, but we played too much in our zone. A more talented team could turn that zone time into dangerous chances, but against Montreal it was fine.

Definitely have to work on penalties still. It was a problem last year, and it's a problem now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agree completely. An ideal way to do this is not take 5 penalties while only getting the PP only once. Not much we can do to get more PP opportunities, the refs got to call them, but we can do something about getting penalities called on us. Clean it up.
I'm starting to wonder if refs are reluctant go give us PPs, knowing how likely it is to sway the game. It seemed to start near the end of last year.

Maybe teams are playing more disciplined because they know how lethal we can be 5v4. But it seems like a lot of stuff is going uncalled. Not sure if the numbers bear that out.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm starting to wonder if refs are reluctant go give us PPs, knowing how likely it is to sway the game. It seemed to start near the end of last year.

Maybe teams are playing more disciplined because they know how lethal we can be 5v4. But it seems like a lot of stuff is going uncalled. Not sure if the numbers bear that out.

It should just force them to learn to play 5v5. If they could just focus on playing better team D in front of Vasi, playing disciplined hockey, and scoring 5v5 then we will be a much better team for it. I dont care if it means we lose some more games. I think this is what they need to do to get ready for the playoffs.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

JBB should be on the phone with the league office if that is the case.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat continues to be our most consistent forward. Thought his line was our best too. I'd like to see Joseph there over Gourde though. I think he drives the net a little better.

Kucherov continues to stink up the joint. I think he needs to be separated from Stamkos, because bad habits are going unaddressed. Leave Point with Stammer and let Kucherov be more selfish on another line.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

Definitely think it's more of the refs being more reluctant to call the penalties on our opponents than them playing more disciplined, cleaner hockey than our guys. Hell I saw a trip and a blatant hook last night that was as plain as day to me and yet wasn't called.

I noticed it starting last year also and believe it's a bias against our team because of how skilled we are. Whether it's intentional or subconscious bias is another question that I can't answer. Could be either way...

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Palat continues to be our most consistent forward. Thought his line was our best too. I'd like to see Joseph there over Gourde though. I think he drives the net a little better.

Kucherov continues to stink up the joint. I think he needs to be separated from Stamkos, because bad habits are going unaddressed. Leave Point with Stammer and let Kucherov be more selfish on another line.
Agree with everything here. Don't let the two points he sneezed fool you, Kuch continued to play in a very lackadaisical way and it's driving me crazy!! Think not having Stammer and Point on his line will force him to focus more and that'll help him to clean up his game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agree with everything here. Don't let the two points he sneezed fool you, Kuch continued to play in a very lackadaisical way and it's driving me crazy!! Think not having Stammer and Point on his line will force him to focus more and that'll help him to clean up his game.
I'm not too worried. Bad Kuch and Good Kuch is just a matter of how dialed in he is. He always plays soft. It just doesn't look that way when the plays are connecting.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Didn't catch this game, but happy to hear that we won. Who looked good and who didn't?

Positives:

- Eric Cernak was an absolute beast. He was very physical and made up for his shitty game vs the Sens. He looked good with Heddy.
- The 4th line had hard-heavy shifts. They did their job for once. Witkowski had a great game and played to his strength. (physical, skating, crashing the net)
- The new line combos were a step in the right direction.
- The team showed up, was playing fast and was hard on pucks.
- Stamkos was hustling. He has some fire this year. Chip on his shoulder.

Negatives:

- Verhaeghe looked out of place. Bad turnovers with the puck.
- Kuch was making bad plays and was lazy ( like he normally is/does, but not much good to go with it)
- Defensively the whole team system was off. Defence was leaky and we gave MTL some chances.
- Too many penalties taken by the team.
- Not in sync with Maroon on the power play yet.
- Cooper chewed his gum and people on this board got offended.

Other Note:

Heddy was meh once again.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Positives:

- Eric Cernak was an absolute beast. He was very physical and made up for his ****ty game vs the Sens. He looked good with Heddy.
- The 4th line had hard-heavy shifts. They did their job for once. Witkowski had a great game and played to his strength. (physical, skating, crashing the net)

Negatives:

- Kuch was making bad plays and was lazy ( like he normally is/does, but not much good to go with it)
- Defensively the whole team system was off. Defence was leaky and we gave MTL some chances.

Other Note:

Thanks for the summary. Kucherov being bad is not good. Hope he finds his way again. Stamkos being this good is great news. Last year his start to the year was not very good. He has come out of the gate firing this year. Hope he keeps it up would be nice to see him win another Rocket Richard.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Positives:

- Eric Cernak was an absolute beast. He was very physical and made up for his ****ty game vs the Sens. He looked good with Heddy.

Negatives:

Other Note:

Cernak had a lot of hits but that was his worst game of the season. Him and Hedman were stuck in our own zone all game long.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Or maybe the team isn't working hard enough to earn a PP.....the refs don't care who's PP is the best. Calls tend to come your way more often then not when you're controlling the play, Tampa dominated in that regards last season, not so much this season. We're complaining about lazy and uninspired plays, is it a surprise were taking as many penalties as we are while not getting PP's?

This is like when the fanbase started saying the refs weren't giving us PP's in the playoffs when Columbus had the puck most of the time and we didn't forcheck to get it back.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I didn't think we gave up too many chances honestly, but we played too much in our zone. A more talented team could turn that zone time into dangerous chances, but against Montreal it was fine.

Definitely have to work on penalties still. It was a problem last year, and it's a problem now.

Tampa had the leagues best PK last year, not sure whats happening with it this year but the coverage in front of the net is awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad