GDT: 10/14/2013 - Minnesota Wild @ Buffalo Sabres - 6:30 - NBCSN, TSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd love to see Coyle move back to wing, as it would mean Grelldink would have to center that line, but who do you see really moving down? As I said earlier, Pominville would be wasted on the third line, and Yeo has a man-crush on Heatley.

I don't think Yeo has a man crush on him...he moved him to the 3rd line last year, I think he's just hoping his game will come around. When he's sill the same player when Coyle is back Yeo's going to have to give up the ghost on that one. He knows he's struggling. That's why he's been skating him extra and having one on one video sessions with him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think Yeo has a man crush on him...he moved him to the 3rd line last year, I think he's just hoping his game will come around. When he's sill the same player when Coyle is back Yeo's going to have to give up the ghost on that one. He knows he's struggling. That's why he's been skating him extra and having one on one video sessions with him.

Fair. At the same time though, to be quite honest, Cooke, Brodziak and Fontaine are working quite well together, it'd be a shame to mess that up by putting Heatley there.

A lot can change between then and now though. We've still got, what, at least two weeks before Coyle comes back. Might as well enjoy the current success and hope whatever happens only continues it, and doesn't halt it.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Honestly, a line of Greatlink, Coyle and Pominville makes almost too much sense.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fair. At the same time though, to be quite honest, Cooke, Brodziak and Fontaine are working quite well together, it'd be a shame to mess that up by putting Heatley there.

A lot can change between then and now though. We've still got, what, at least two weeks before Coyle comes back. Might as well enjoy the current success and hope whatever happens only continues it, and doesn't halt it.

Fontaine was better on the 4th line honestly...he's been very erratic on the 3rd. Fitting sometimes, not at others. Heatley on the 3rd, Fontaine on the 4th, Veilleux out.

Maladus

Sep 23, 2011
Colorado
I think Groundlend has looked much better than he did last year on the 2nd line. Rarely is he out of position, he is aggressive on the forecheck, has noticeably faster speed and has looked much stronger in board battles.

I think 3 of our 4 lines are clicking pretty well. The only line that I feel is having chemistry issues is the second line. I think Heater plays a pretty large part in the problems they are having. He is usually a 1/2 second too slow to the puck or a 1/2 second too slow to shoot/pass. His inability to challenge for most 50/50 pucks also kills offesive zone pressure and forces their line back to defending.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Whatever you are doing with this Granlund-meme is hilarious :D Where's the origin? =)

Grats on the win guys!

Doc started it! He used like 5 different names for him in last nights telecast. It's just sort of snowballing from there....and it might not ever stop.

This seems like a reasonable assessment.

But I swear to god if Coyle comes back and Grandjaw or anyone else gets bumped instead of Heater then Yeo needs to be fired immediately.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Can't wait for Coyle to get back so we can get Heatley off the 2nd line. That guy can't do anything but shoot. He loses the puck all the time. I think the passing needs to be a little cleaner. We're missing out on some scoring opportunities because some of passes are a little off. But with the way they are playing, I think the goals for is going to get much better.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Thoughts:

- Top line had a good first period and then kind of tailed off a little. Koivu had a little more jump in his step but needs to step on it all the time to be effective. Parise is great but needs to chill with the "stuff the puck from the side of the net on the PP" bit. Nino looked good.

- Second line looks like Granlund plus scrubs. Not saying Granlund is great, but he's improving. Pominville goes between being effective along the boards and being invisible and tossed around. He's got a great shot but misses the net too much. To me, Pominville looks like PMB if he shot the puck more. Too much perimeter play and not aggressive and creative enough. Heatley is dreadful. Not moving his feet, trying to dangle and turning the puck over, taking dumb penalties.

- Third line was again one of the best lines. There's a reason Cooke is leading the team in scoring. This line brings it every night, plays well defensively, but also moves the puck down the ice with speed and generates chances off the rush. They are playing hockey while the other lines are grinding.

- Fourth line was fine overall. Fontaine still looks like he's adjusting. They did their job.

- Brodin had his best game of the past week and Suter looked fantastic. Real dangerous. Controlling the game.

- Dumba made some nice plays. He got caught on the hook but I liked him overall. He has to shoot the puck though on that PP when he had it in the middle of the ice and an open lane.

- Spurgeon looked fine.

- Stoner was a bit of a disaster. Running around and lost a bit and taking the dumb penalty. If we had a better defenseman on the team, he'd be sitting.

- Ballard is kind of a train wreck. He'll make some awesome plays and move the puck well, then he'll turn the puck over and take a dumb penalty. And then he'll turn the puck over a lot more. Guy needs to simplify and calm down.

- Harding looks fantastic. I often think goalies are overrated and it's more the team in front, but he's seeing the puck through traffic, steering aside rebounds, or holding on to the puck. Hope he keeps it up.

Overall, the team played very well and dominated puck possession. It was great to see them actually shine on the national stage for once. The passing is much better and you can tell the roster is much better overall than last year. Moving guys like Clutterbuck and Setoguchi for players like Nino and Cooke was huge. But they need to hit another level to be a real contender. They need some more speed and to finish the plays they are making.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Thought the team played a very sound game, even if the opponent isn't quite up to their level and ultimately kept it close.

This is a bit nit-picky, but I'd like to see more creating of high percentage shots. The team is having their way on the forecheck but a lot of the stuff to the net is coming from poor angles/perimeter.

Hell of a goal that Pominville had. Might not see a better one all year from this team.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
f4d4.jpg

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Nino had a strong game. Strong along the boards, a fast skater. My only complain is that he needs to shoot more. Example: on the PP, Greenlord made a nice pass to him on the middle where he should have just shot a one timer, instead he made a bad pass.

I remember that play perfectly, and even tho it looked like he had a lane to shoot, he really didnt. there was a stick right in his shot lane with the body cover the right side of the lane, and another defender pushing up the left side of the lane. If he would have shot that, it would have been deflected out of play or blocked, i gurantee it. I thought he showed very quick IQ and decision making to know his shot wouldn't get through so he tried to hit the give & go and it could have turned into a great play if the other player caught his pass.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm starting to get on the scratch Heatley train. Ottawa gave out some good prospects for Bobby Ryan. Maybe they'll give something of value up for Heatley. :sarcasm:

I would laugh so hard I might die if Ottawa did that.

Doc mispronounced Granlund all night. Grandholm and Gronlund are 2 I remember.

I counted at least 5. I mentioned 4 of them during the game I think?

Anyway, Grendwhut needs to be the permanent 2c. Coyle goes back on his wing when he comes back, Heatley makes ****ing All Star Popcorn in the James Sheppard Memorial Pressbox with the James Sheppard Perfect Popcorn Hopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad