GDT: 10/12/19 - 4:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Ottawa

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Other teams "windows" have been shorter than ours and they got a cup. We started in 2014 by saying our window just opened.. then in 2016 it was still open for a few years, bright future. It's 2019 and in that span, we've gotten swept, had a few deep runs and missed the playoffs. All it amounts to is; 0 Stanley cups.

The problem now is complacency. Settling for "it will only matter in april" is an awful mindset. If you can't have a variation of multiple ways to beat teams lined up from your roster, you won't win a cup. By and large our one way is just how Stamkos described it, a free wheeling team. We are the cute one too many passes offense. Our defense and especially team defense is brutal at times. All that hockey IQ yet we can't box out guys. We can't get our forwards down low. No preaching of getting shots on the net for dirty goals. Sometimes one goal is all it takes to change a game and when you're desperately needing that in April and all you've done for 82 games is play like the globetrotters then you are absolutely f***ed. See; 2019 playoffs.

No heart, no grit and poor coaching. Cooper should have at some point benched over the last few years benched or scratched guys. I doubt those guys respect him because it doesn't show on the ice. They go out and just play highlight feel hockey. There is no "wolfpack" mentality anymore. Garbage ass culture of coming up short. Fans are tired of it. I know I am. Cooper is a good coach for the regular season but the game doesn't need a lawyer behind the bench in the spring, they need somebody willing to light their ass on fire and make the players sell out. We don't have anymore Callahan, Stralman, Boyle types outside of Cirelli, Gourde, Paquette, and maybe Maroon. The grit and heart is non existent from the rest. Why? Cause the coach doesn't bring it out of them. Go watch the Blues run, everybody on that roster was twice their size cause they believed and they played like it. This loss isn't on Cooper but the culture is. f***ing joke.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Other teams "windows" have been shorter than ours and they got a cup. We started in 2014 by saying our window just opened.. then in 2016 it was still open for a few years, bright future. It's 2019 and in that span, we've gotten swept, had a few deep runs and missed the playoffs. All it amounts to is; 0 Stanley cups.

The problem now is complacency. Settling for "it will only matter in april" is an awful mindset. If you can't have a variation of multiple ways to beat teams lined up from your roster, you won't win a cup. By and large our one way is just how Stamkos described it, a free wheeling team. We are the cute one too many passes offense. Our defense and especially team defense is brutal at times. All that hockey IQ yet we can't box out guys. We can't get our forwards down low. No preaching of getting shots on the net for dirty goals. Sometimes one goal is all it takes to change a game and when you're desperately needing that in April and all you've done for 82 games is play like the globetrotters then you are absolutely ****ed. See; 2019 playoffs.

No heart, no grit and poor coaching. Cooper should have at some point benched over the last few years benched or scratched guys. I doubt those guys respect him because it doesn't show on the ice. They go out and just play highlight feel hockey. There is no "wolfpack" mentality anymore. Garbage ass culture of coming up short. Fans are tired of it. I know I am. Cooper is a good coach for the regular season but the game doesn't need a lawyer behind the bench in the spring, they need somebody willing to light their ass on fire and make the players sell out. We don't have anymore Callahan, Stralman, Boyle types outside of Cirelli, Gourde, Paquette, and maybe Maroon. The grit and heart is non existent from the rest. Why? Cause the coach doesn't bring it out of them. Go watch the Blues run, everybody on that roster was twice their size cause they believed and they played like it. This loss isn't on Cooper but the culture is. ****ing joke.
Nah man. It's all good. No issues here. We can't compare this year to other years. No big deal! It's October!

(Am I doing it right?)

Reactions: Stammertime91

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa

The problem now is complacency. Settling for "it will only matter in april" is an awful mindset. If you can't have a variation of multiple ways to beat teams lined up from your roster, you won't win a cup. By and large our one way is just how Stamkos described it, a free wheeling team. We are the cute one too many passes offense. Our defense and especially team defense is brutal at times. All that hockey IQ yet we can't box out guys. We can't get our forwards down low. No preaching of getting shots on the net for dirty goals. Sometimes one goal is all it takes to change a game and when you're desperately needing that in April and all you've done for 82 games is play like the globetrotters then you are absolutely ****ed. See; 2019 playoffs.

No heart, no grit and poor coaching. Cooper should have at some point benched over the last few years benched or scratched guys. I doubt those guys respect him because it doesn't show on the ice. They go out and just play highlight feel hockey. There is no "wolfpack" mentality anymore. Garbage ass culture of coming up short. Fans are tired of it. I know I am. Cooper is a good coach for the regular season but the game doesn't need a lawyer behind the bench in the spring, they need somebody willing to light their ass on fire and make the players sell out. We don't have anymore Callahan, Stralman, Boyle types outside of Cirelli, Gourde, Paquette, and maybe Maroon. The grit and heart is non existent from the rest. Why? Cause the coach doesn't bring it out of them. Go watch the Blues run, everybody on that roster was twice their size cause they believed and they played like it. This loss isn't on Cooper but the culture is. ****ing joke.

Country Club

Anyone find it funny how after the Carolina game, all the journos were saying "Cooper really made them work in practice after that one"

I was watching the Edmonton game the other night and Gretzky was talking about Tippett and comparing his style of team to the team he played on while he was in Edmonton, and how hard they competed in practice for preparation. Interesting.

Reactions: Stammertime91

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Country Club

Anyone find it funny how after the Carolina game, all the journos were saying "Cooper really made them work in practice after that one"

I was watching the Edmonton game the other night and Gretzky was talking about Tippett and comparing his style of team to the team he played on while he was in Edmonton, and how hard they competed in practice for preparation. Interesting.
Wasn’t it Kunitz who, after he got to Tampa, said he was super surprised that the Lightning don’t practice as often as Pittsburgh and players get a lot more time off between games than he was used to from his time with the Ducks and Pens?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Terrible logic, getting 60 wins does not automatically mean you're not going to have a terrible playoff run.

I get your argument that's there's no need to have the perfect regular season to succeed in the playoffs but your examples are awful.

What happened last year was exceptional, I assure if we have 60 wins again we will not be in out in 4 games, it was almost as exceptional as our regular season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Matthew Joseph was playing a hell of a game yesterday, he was hitting everything in sight and create offense out of nothing. He played 10 minutes. Palat had a goal and another strong game, he played only 10 minutes. Point, Stamkos and Kucherov couldn't do nothing yet played 19, 21 and 23 minutes. Cooper's feel for the game is just so piss poor sometimes it's ridiculous, stop throwing out your top guys when they blow dog and reward the guys who are playing well.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Matthew Joseph was playing a hell of a game yesterday, he was hitting everything in sight and create offense out of nothing. He played 10 minutes. Palat had a goal and another strong game, he played only 10 minutes. Point, Stamkos and Kucherov couldn't do nothing yet played 19, 21 and 23 minutes. Cooper's feel for the game is just so piss poor sometimes it's ridiculous, stop throwing out your top guys when they blow dog and reward the guys who are playing well.
Add: 6v5? Better put Maroon on the ice for two minutes

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

This is true and has been true for sooo long.

Adjustments in general have always been Cooper's failing, both in-season and in-game. And to an absolutely absurd extent. I still have nightmares about Tyler Johnson trying to one-time pucks on the PP in the SCF, because, you know, who cares if the guy has a broken wrist--he MUST play the top of the circle on the PP.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If the team can't get motivated for themselves, you'd think they should be able to get motivated for their fanbase so we don't have to watch them half-heartedly chase the worst teams in the league around the ice until they decide the games are important.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I thought that last years playoff debacle would cause Cooper to try and implement a new system more focused on making safer plays and defensively sound. Instead we are getting a sloppier and more reckless version of last years free wheeling system! And a I dont give a crap attitude to boot! Completely unacceptable!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can we get Doughty as our coach?

"It's embarassing to lose to a team like that" I would've prefered that, cause you know..it's the truth.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
The Fire Cooper crowd gets bigger after every terrible performance. Still doubt JBB is thinking about it as much as we are. He just extended him last season :/

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The Fire Cooper crowd gets bigger after every terrible performance. Still doubt JBB is thinking about it as much as we are. He just extended him last season :/
Extension means **** relative to coaching. Coaches can be fired at will. If it's 2016-2017 season again, Cooper must be on a hot seat by thanksgiving or I'll lose it.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't think that's true. When buzz builds around the league, there's usually a little bit of it at home too.

Maybe Coop will get the season + playoffs, regardless, but he's been here a long time now. Coaches have shelf lives. Coop was probably going stale with the team as early as 2016.

The problem with tuning him out in the regular season, aside from the odd "statement game," is, as we've seen in year's past, it's not easy to coast for a month or two and then just turn it on come April. It's a delicate balance between saving something and going all out, and we definitely haven't struck it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I don't think that's true. When buzz builds around the league, there's usually a little bit of it at home too.

Maybe Coop will get the season + playoffs, regardless, but he's been here a long time now. Coaches have shelf lives. Coop was probably going stale with the team as early as 2016.

The problem with tuning him out in the regular season, aside from the odd "statement game," is, as we've seen in year's past, it's not easy to coast for a month or two and then just turn it on come April. It's a delicate balance between saving something and going all out, and we definitely haven't struck it.

He's by far the longest-tenured NHL coach since Chicago fired Quenneville last year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
you know as said cooper was kind of aggressively searching last game.... he did do some mixing and im more for that him being proactive.... again he is like a bulldog coach i go back to tyjo broken hand and palat last year tried a true over taking risks mixing up quickly etc... last game he did try some changes after the first that is what im looking for hell we are not playing well to start the year... i can take that i can take the team underperforms its a long season but i want cooper to try things quickly imho and i get the 10 minutes that got brought up that is annoying as hell but he did double shift kucherov and tried some different things quickly imho after the first and for me thats what im looking for cause at that point its somewhat has to go to the players to play well especially when you change them up.... is a long year i am not all fire cooper after this last game... too small of a window to look at... i was fire cooper after the debacle right now we got to find OUR IDENTITY so far I do not feel we have one at all for even any line whatsoever so its too early to say hey pull the plug..... yet yes i want him to change practice lines tomorrow I WANT him to try something else not point stamkos kucherov.... joseph was fourth on team last year in points per minute palat this year is on fire... those guys need their shots have actually earned them cooper is tried and true weird thing is in past loved palat too much now palat is doing his thing and cooper isnt seeing it??? anyway i think we will be fine for now.... do not feel like he lost the team just the team has motivation issues and that is something these guys got to look into a mirror about is no one gonna fix this till they fix themselves a bit imho.... im ok for cooper to be out but for me carolina ottawa?? thats on these guys so far.... i did notice things though identity why the hell after a goal is stamkos point and kucherov up for next shift??? that has always been cirelli or point prior to kucherov lines or event he damned fourth line IDENTITY we got some new bodies... got to let them work it out for now.... they are not meshing as expected gourde joseph no real good points verhaegh all three doing ok but not as expected etc... not in my opinion but im not too mad.... id rather they search for identity now then sometime during season.... and if we falter if we fail or fall apart id only assume that a change must be made.... is too early though to give up lets go bolts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad