Post-Game Talk: #10 - 10/25/18 | RANGERS @ blackhawks | 8:30 - MSG

3 "Stars" of the Game

• Total voters

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Yeah know. I use to get excited for Rangers games. Now they are just dreadful.

This is going to be one long year.

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy watching this years team far more than last years.

First, they at least play a style that looks as if they're competing all game.

Second, this team actually has some promise for the future with guys like Chytil, Howden, etc, whereas last years squad was mostly filled with guys on the downturn. I'd imagine once we start selling off (hopefully sooner rather than later), this will become even more of the case.

Regardless, I had no expectations for this team and I have found the games rather enjoyable. If they win, they win, if they lose, they lose, but as long as the kids look good I'm pleased. And if you understand there are going to be a lot of stinkers like this one along the way, you won't be upset.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Highly predictable embarrassment against a far superior team. We all can only hope the Rangers get as lucky and the Hawks did when they tanked!

RonaldNeptune

Nov 13, 2017
Btw that second goal, I know Smith had a broken stick and it was his man and all, but the fact that Schmaltz was even able to get that pass through is on Pionk. Why the hell is he cross checking his man? Body up your man and keep your stick down to take the passing lane away. Poor plays all around but Pionk especially.

You would never know by watching the game the way they talk about his instincts and decision making. They gush over this guy....I like him too but he will at best be a serviceable #4 for a few years IMO.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
First game in like forever many seasons that i just turned off and went to bed.

Do they understand that people pay to watch this? Glad it wasnt at MSG, people would be alligable for refunds.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Btw that second goal, I know Smith had a broken stick and it was his man and all, but the fact that Schmaltz was even able to get that pass through is on Pionk. Why the hell is he cross checking his man? Body up your man and keep your stick down to take the passing lane away. Poor plays all around but Pionk especially.

Hot take. Seriously though, after watching that play, you come away with blaming the guy playing the man directly in front of the goal? No, ADA would not have made a different play.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Am I the only one that thought we weren't terrible considering we were playing a much better team? Crawford made a lot of good saves and I think there was a goal post here and there.

With that said, not sure what some of you were expecting this season after selling off half the team last year. The fact that it was still even a game going into the 3rd is more than one can ask for all things considered.

I think some of you may be confused as to what a rebuild is...

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Brendan Smith is getting a lecture from Henrik every time the camera is on him. I saw it against Edmonton. Saw it again in the Colorado game. Definitely against Calgary, and again last night in Chicago. Lundqvist does not seem to be pleased with Smith's positioning - both creating a screen against him, and last night's deflected pass which led to the rebound goal.

Reactions: will1066

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I'm a little shocked Beleskey was sent down. I think he could really help that 4th line which is just completely amiss right now.

First game in like forever many seasons that i just turned off and went to bed.

Do they understand that people pay to watch this? Glad it wasnt at MSG, people would be alligable for refunds.

There have been almost an infinite amount of games in the past few seasons that warranted turning off more than this one.

And yes, they understand that. Did you know we are rebuilding this year and not expected to make the playoffs?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So the team wasn't ready to play from puck drop. They spent the first several minutes bodychecking or tripping each other and were lucky to get out of the first period tied.

So when Zibanejad and his line have an off night there's almost no secondary scoring and so one goal is what you get and lucky if we're not shut out. We always talk about how horrid the defense is--not so much about how awful or unengaged our forwards are.

So Brady Skjei was awful all night long and yeah he's our best defenseman.

Did I say the players need to get out of each other's way?---because that was a shitshow.....and Henrik deserved better. He did show up.

So McQuaid is injured and DeAngelo may finally get a real chance. Hopefully he makes something out of it. He will have to penalty kill because Shatty is not and Shatty is not playing well.

So prorate our standings points after 10 games and it comes to 57 for the year. Maybe some team will finish lower than that but right now we're definitely bottom 3.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Am I the only one that thought we weren't terrible considering we were playing a much better team? Crawford made a lot of good saves and I think there was a goal post here and there.

With that said, not sure what some of you were expecting this season after selling off half the team last year. The fact that it was still even a game going into the 3rd is more than one can ask for all things considered.

No, the Rangers were pretty terrible last night. Chicago isn't all that much better, although they had players I've never heard of skating rings around Ranger players. Pylons would have been more effective.

It appeared as if many Rangers were disinterested in doing the things it would require to win a hockey game, or at least compete in one.

Only reason it was even a contested game was Hank.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

No I said it this game wasn’t terrible through 2.

They got smoked in the third. Does this team suck? Yes. Does shit like that happen to good teams too? Yes, these same hawks gave up 33 shots in a period a few days ago.

Reactions: jas

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
First game of a road trip, let them settle in. My biggest concern as someone else has pointed out is the lack of scoring beyond our first line. If they dont have it on a given night we lose. Hayes, Spooner, Chytil, Fast, Namestnicov and even Howden have to contribute some goals otherwise the losses are going to pile up. Those guys are better than their stats are showing and they need to figure out how to put the puck in the net or it's going to be a long season.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm a little shocked Beleskey was sent down. I think he could really help that 4th line which is just completely amiss right now.

There have been almost an infinite amount of games in the past few seasons that warranted turning off more than this one.

And yes, they understand that. Did you know we are rebuilding this year and not expected to make the playoffs?

What am I missing here? He was looking pretty decent before he got hurt. And now no one picked him up on the waiver wire.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
im amazed that Quinn isn't playing shattenkirk on the first powerplay to get him going. just amazed at that. its literally how he makes his living. playing pionk there does nothing to help shattenkirk get going whether or not we want to move him its just screams showcase of pionk imo.

chytil who I adore I am sorry does not belong in the nhl right now. he doesn't. he should be in Hartford. he cannot handle the puck when he gets a scoring opportunity literally loses his shit with over excitement any time he gets near the net. he's the opposite of lias in that regard. and yesterday he deserved his benching. you can't do that shit in your own zone (and it wasn't once) and expect an NHL job.

we are playing namestnikov and spooner 8 mil combined on the fourth line and we want to build their values for trades? asinine.

why was mcquaid a 7th dman for boston playing first pairing mins to start the game last night? a guy with no affiliation to this franchise other than being a Bahston guy so he gets preferential treatment from this coaching staff? pionk played well with skjei for big portions of the previous game. why was he back with staal a pairing that is awful together.

deAngelo can't get into this lineup? has what 3 points in 2 games but he can't get into this lineup to help us score? basically if mika doesn't score nobody does.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012

Its about effort not points.

If you play in the NHL in an original six team, you cant play like meh

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
here's what we SHOULD look like right now consistently heading towards the trade deadline

kreider Zibanejad Zuccarello/Buchnevich
Spooner Hayes Buchnevich/Zuccarello
Namestnikov Howden Fast
Vesey Fogarty/Nieves Beleskey
McCleod

Skjei Pionk
Smith Shattenkirk
Staal DeAngelo

maximize visibility on tradeable vets develop chytil and andersson in Hartford until February. same with lettieri who just doesn't look like an nhler to me.

Come February blow out the guys after giving them a few months to up their value.

Regarding Mcquaid he's a guy we never should have even acquired. made no sense. but even if he's sitting most nights there will be value in an expiring contract for a righty dman with playoff experience and grit. he'll bring back a 3rd I'm sure.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Namestnicov should be on the top line, hes played well with good players before and if we could somehow bump him up to 60 or more points we might steal a first rounder out of him or atleast a decent prospect. Spooner on the 2nd line same thing. Chytil love him but if he is going to be in the nhl and relied on in the top 6 he has to score otherwise put him on the 3rd line with Howden and Fast. Just my opinion but we need to get some guys going before they lose what's left of their value.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How is Pionk getting over 28 minutes of ice???? It’s not that he’s a diaster, but i’m not so sure it’s ideal to give a rookie that much ice time unless he was actually playing like an elite #1 dman...

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
theres no denying that coachman quinn has himself a serious chubby over pionk.

shatty on pp 2 and pionk getting gobs of minutes. pionk is a good young 2/3 pair guy. so far, hes been solid albeit without being a corsi superstar. if you cook the numbers tho, hes been worse than the eye test.

lets hope when ADA gets a game, coach Q will play the other young righty pmd and give him a chance to produce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad