OT: 10,000 Pt XXXIV: Year of Sarah Jessica Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
California Raisins commercials? Ed McMahon Hiyo calls?

These are my people. I truely am home :D

also this:

ninja_turtles.png

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
:laugh: No, just from one house. Some other highlights of that particular year was an orange juice box (which sounds fine on the surface, but imagine drinking it after eating a mountain of candy...), an actual box of raisins, a dish towel, and a valentine's day card with 'Happy Halloween' written on it. I have no clue what got into my neighborhood that year.

Where in god's name do you get this ****? :cry:

What the hell? Was your neighborhood just screwing with you? I mean, I get the occasional box of raisins, but a dish towel and a Valentine's day card? This is the kind of stuff I feel like I'd get in a dorm when someone decided we needed to give each other treats...

Raisins do suck, though. I don't get why they're considered a substitute for chocolate chips in a cookie.

Also, it angers me that there are people here too young to know who the California Raisins are . God damn it, I'm not old...

California Raisins commercials? Ed McMahon Hiyo calls?

These are my people. I truely am home :D

also this:

ninja_turtles.png

Wait for real? I'm pretty sure Michelangelo is more famous as a renaissance artist, and Raphael is not. I mean, everyone has heard of the Sistine Chapel and David, no one's heard of whatever Raphael did (I think I've even seen some of his stuff and can't recall what it was). Plus Raphael died at 37, and Michelangelo at 88! I expect better from XKCD...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What the hell? Was your neighborhood just screwing with you? I mean, I get the occasional box of raisins, but a dish towel and a Valentine's day card? This is the kind of stuff I feel like I'd get in a dorm when someone decided we needed to give each other treats...

Raisins do suck, though. I don't get why they're considered a substitute for chocolate chips in a cookie.

Also, it angers me that there are people here too young to know who the California Raisins are . God damn it, I'm not old...

Wait for real? I'm pretty sure Michelangelo is more famous as a renaissance artist, and Raphael is not. I mean, everyone has heard of the Sistine Chapel and David, no one's heard of whatever Raphael did (I think I've even seen some of his stuff and can't recall what it was). Plus Raphael died at 37, and Michelangelo at 88! I expect better from XKCD...

I doubt the pies are actually representative of any sort of rigorous data collection.

But with that said, if you ask anyone under the age of, let's say, 35 what's the first thing that comes to mind when you say the name Michelangelo, I would be willing to bet that the scales tip slightly in the favor of the Ninja Turtle. da Vinci is the only one of that group of 4 artists that really has maintained enough of a pop culture presence to really hold it over his turtle namesake. If I were to take issue with one and only one pie in that picture, it would be that I think the Leo one should be more heavily in favor of da Vinci. Secondarily would be Raphael skewing more towards being a TMNT. I think that Donatello's and Michaelangelo's are pretty reasonable estimations. The Turtles have had 25+ years of cartoons, movies, and comics to cement that.

Similarly, as the alt text on that xkcd comic notes, if you throw out the words bebop and rocksteady, who's going to remember that they were/are actual musical genres and not Shredder's bumbling henchmen?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I have no clue what the **** happened that year. Every other year was great. Maybe it was the year of the razor scares. Or maybe the local drug store ran out.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Nice. I always wondered what it would be like. You just know the butlers and gardeners do all the decorating outside :laugh:

I've met him. He's a super cool guy. Probably my favorite celebrity I have ever had an actual conversation with (I talked to him for about 15 minutes). The dude is constantly 'on', it must be exhausting. He wandered around the set making everyone laugh the whole time, and it wasn't even a funny movie.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I've never met him, but based on his OoT commercials, he seems like a cool guy. :laugh:

I also imagine Nathan Fillion as an awesome guy to talk to.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I've met him. He's a super cool guy. Probably my favorite celebrity I have ever had an actual conversation with (I talked to him for about 15 minutes). The dude is constantly 'on', it must be exhausting. He wandered around the set making everyone laugh the whole time, and it wasn't even a funny movie.

Finally, a good story about one of my favorite celebrities. I always wondered if he was the complete opposite in person (hoped he wasn't). That's pretty cool, hb.

I've never met him, but based on his OoT commercials, he seems like a cool guy. :laugh:

I also imagine Nathan Fillion as an awesome guy to talk to.

I would seriously like to converse with him. Huge Castle fan. Huge!

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Finally, a good story about one of my favorite celebrities. I always wondered if he was the complete opposite in person (hoped he wasn't). That's pretty cool, hb.

If you haven't seen it, you should watch the Inside the Actors Studio episode with him, it's really good.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

I would seriously like to converse with him. Huge Castle fan. Huge!

Yah, keep in mind this was on a set, and I was about 14, but he came up to me all on his own and just started chatting with me about my bike (i had a bike on set with me) and my life and what not, nothing important. He seemed genuinely interested and very polite. Then my Dad wandered in and made an ass out of me and he took off asap. heh

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Bet you'd rather talk to Stana or Molly though. ;)

You know, I find neither of them attractive. Now Lanie...rwar :naughty:

Yah, keep in mind this was on a set, and I was about 14, but he came up to me all on his own and just started chatting with me about my bike (i had a bike on set with me) and my life and what not, nothing important. He seemed genuinely interested and very polite. Then my Dad wandered in and made an ass out of me and he took off asap. heh

ROFL, was he trying to schmooze/network?

That's neat that he wasn't just putting on a show for a crowd. Must have made a huge impression on you as a kid. I mean, it's freaking Robin Williams!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You know, I find neither of them attractive. Now Lanie...rwar :naughty:

ROFL, was he trying to schmooze/network?

That's neat that he wasn't just putting on a show for a crowd. Must have made a huge impression on you as a kid. I mean, it's freaking Robin Williams!

yah kind of, he pretty much killed the conversation with a well placed "This is my little comedian" comment where I just looked at my feet and turned beat red. To his credit I think Robin felt for me and tried to be cool about it, but damage done. Love my Dad... but uhg.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
yah kind of, he pretty much killed the conversation with a well placed "This is my little comedian" comment where I just looked at my feet and turned beat red. To his credit I think Robin felt for me and tried to be cool about it, but damage done. Love my Dad... but uhg.

Aww, heh. He was just proud of his little guy :)

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
I doubt the pies are actually representative of any sort of rigorous data collection.

Given that it's xkcd, I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on some kind of data. Some form of google hits, maybe?

Did I ever tell you about the time I hung out with the guy who writes xkcd? He's a really awesome guy; all that stuff you see in the comics is how he really is - walking down the up escalator, having a ball pit at his house, etc.

A propos of nothing - I started playing roller hockey! It's funny how the ice skills do and don't translate. For example, I can skate pretty fast, but I can not yet stop. Today I was going full speed with no brakes, smacked into a guy probably 70lbs heavier than me, and got epically laid out. Now it hurts to sit down. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->