OT: 10,000 Pt XXXIV: Year of Sarah Jessica Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

likewall32

**putt meem hear**
Feb 6, 2006
Central PA
Not sure if this references an inside joke or something, but a small point of order: Due to the funky lunar calendar used by the Jewish faith (among others), an accurate title to this thread should read "Halloween, then Hanukah, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Kwanzaa coming up". It's the earliest Hanukah has been and will be for quite some time.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Why is Hanukah so early this year anyway. I read that it's starting the night before Thanksgiving, when it usually starts like the second week of December.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
It's rare to fall this early but it's just the nature of the calender that they use with months that are 29-30 days long. Next year it will be back in December due to this (lunar)year being a leap year.

There are 7 leap years in each 19 year cycle to keep the calender synced with the seasons by adding an extra month(usually around February/March of the Gregorian calender).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
1f6848401bbb01313195001dd8b71c47

Should have been in OP, if I only knew :sarcasm:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
So, what is everyone doing on the 31st?

Me? I'll be handing out candy. Our house is becoming legendary for the amount of candy we hand out (full size and fun size, combined). I'll also be spooking the older kids with a killer trap door and costume.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Me? I'll be handing out candy. Our house is becoming legendary for the amount of candy we hand out (full size and fun size, combined). I'll also be spooking the older kids with a killer trap door and costume.

We decided to hand out toys this year. Everyone gives out candy, and kids get way too much and most parents throw a ton of it away, so we bought a ton of little party favor type toys (jumping frogs and fake spiders, etc) and are going to hand those out instead.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
That's a great idea, hb! Never thought of that. With us, it's usually the parents that get excited about the full size. I've heard "no sweetie, that's for daddy," before :laugh:

Definitely going to consider toys in the future.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
That's a great idea, hb! Never thought of that. With us, it's usually the parents that get excited about the full size. I've heard "no sweetie, that's for daddy," before :laugh:

Definitely going to consider toys in the future.

Well we have a 3 year old and he simply isn't a big candy fiend, nor can he eat too much of it without getting ill, and it made us think that he'd much rather get stuff to play with so maybe other kids would too. We also have a little bit of candy in case some kids are really wanting candy. We got the toys at walmart, they came in little bags and they were a $1 per bag. Each bag has like 6-8 toys in it. We got quite a variety, bouncy balls that look like eyballs, jumping frogs, ton snakes, spiders, bats, slinky's, etc.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Well we have a 3 year old and he simply isn't a big candy fiend, nor can he eat too much of it without getting ill, and it made us think that he'd much rather get stuff to play with so maybe other kids would too. We also have a little bit of candy in case some kids are really wanting candy. We got the toys at walmart, they came in little bags and they were a $1 per bag. Each bag has like 6-8 toys in it. We got quite a variety, bouncy balls that look like eyballs, jumping frogs, ton snakes, spiders, bats, slinky's, etc.

Going to have the woman check for them on the way home (I'm stuck recovering from a bad concussion). We only have a Target, along with the normal grocery stores, so I hope she scores some.

Usually, we only get a handful of really small kids. It just gets too cold here on the coast for the little ones to be walking around. They usually go to the community center for trick-or-treating, but this idea would be great to have for any age.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

I'm handing out candy, and watching Hockey/Basketball/Warriors. My life is boring that way.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005

We bought candy(full size) but my wife and I will be sleeping. We both work at midnight that night.

I guess we'll just have to keep the candy to ourselves.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I'm handing out candy, and watching Hockey/Basketball/Warriors. My life is boring that way.

No way, that's the best part of being an adult if you don't have kids! Seeing those little boogers in costumes are what I look forward to.

We bought candy(full size) but my wife and I will be sleeping. We both work at midnight that night.

I guess we'll just have to keep the candy to ourselves.

You could always leave them out with a sign saying "Please take only one." That should work :sarcasm:

Taking my daughter trick or treating and then handing out candy the rest of the night.

Nice. I hope the weather is good for you and your little goblin. What is she going as?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
No way, that's the best part of being an adult if you don't have kids! Seeing those little boogers in costumes are what I look forward to.

You could always leave them out with a sign saying "Please take only one." That should work :sarcasm:

Nice. I hope the weather is good for you and your little goblin. What is she going as?

Its supposed to be cold but we'll be good. Shes going as a fairy princess..of course. :laugh:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Its supposed to be cold but we'll be good. Shes going as a fairy princess..of course. :laugh:

My kid is going as Spiderman... of course. I tried to talk him out of it, he's got blond hair and blue eyes so I tried to at least talk him into Thor... but no :\

Kids.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I was super tempted to rock this and go trick-or-treating.
http://www.spirithalloween.com/prod...re time&UTM_campaign=Search:SC:adventure time

As for candy, no one can beat your full-size Twix bars Slo. Kids never stop by my neighborhood.

You better do it for next Halloween :laugh:

I dunno, hockeyball is handing out toys. If I don't get that going, I'm going to start slashing coeds.

Should I have asked. I bet she looks adorable :)

My kid is going as Spiderman... of course. I tried to talk him out of it, he's got blond hair and blue eyes so I tried to at least talk him into Thor... but no :\

Kids.

Wut? He will learn as he ages. He could have had a helmet and a hammer...and a CAPE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->