OT: 10,000 Pt XLIII - The Ultimate Raw Deal (or LS's House of the Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Do any of you guys that know San Diego well have any recommendations for stuff to do at night? I'm not a beer person at all, so that isn't something that I'd be interested in.

I have an 8am flight (Eastern) on the 25th. Please behave while I'm away. :sarcasm:
My wife and I were down there a couple months ago and I’m not drinking right now. One night we went to Shakespeare in the park in Balboa. The next night we went to a Padres game. Neither of us are big baseball fans but the Padres game was really fun. You don’t have to avoid the gaslamp just because you aren’t drinking. You can go out to dinner there and it’s fun because there is a lot going on.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
DS9 was the best Star Trek, largely because of its massive recurring/supporting cast of characters who weren't part of the title sequence credits. Nog was right up front and center of that group with Garak and Martok and basically everything Jeffrey Combs did. His season 7 mini-arc where he goes from gung-ho officer/soldier to losing his leg to having to deal with his PTSD and the horror of war was fantastic in large part to how much Eisenberg just nailed everything about it.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I feel like I talked about this before, but I can't find evidence in any of our OT threads, so bare with me if I'm repeating myself.

I watched the Bumblebee movie again the other day. In a first for any of the live action Transformers movies, it actually holds up.

and if I'm perfectly honest, I was probably sold on the movie from the little 2-and-a-half minute prologue

Take that, blow it up to about 2 hours (not all action, but all set around the war on Cybertron while treating the transformers themselves as actual characters and not live action rock-em-sock-em-robots) and hook it to my veins

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
My girlfriend is thinking about taking a job in Hayward. Anybody know of any nice town within commuting distance with reasonable rent?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Any industrial/EBM fans here? I'm finally seeing Nitzer Ebb tonight and it's the first time in quite a while that I've been this stoked for a show.

Sweet! Have a blast!

Not EBM, but in 7th and 8th grade, I was addicted to TKK. They were Kooler than Jesus. :laugh:

Have a slamming time. I cut my industrial teeth on Ministry’s Twitch and Skinny Puppy’s Vivisectvi.

You, you I like.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Devil Bunnies, the lot of ya!!’

Haha, can you imagine my heavily-Catholic grandparents hearing TKK getting blasted out of my room while I burned candles and incense after coming back from the local head/occult shop?? :laugh:

My "spells" never worked, but I sure scared the heck out of the squares.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My girlfriend is thinking about taking a job in Hayward. Anybody know of any nice town within commuting distance with reasonable rent?

Bay Area commuting distance = ~100 miles. :sarcasm:

"Reasonable rent" = trade off commute distance (wear, tear, time) vs how much you're willing to pay, community "environment"

Stockton, Tracy (and join the hordes over the Altamont Pass in commuting or take ACE), via I580. Hollister, San Juan Bauptista, Los Baños and join the folks near Pacheo Pass and US101.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

"Reasonable rent" = trade off commute distance (wear, tear, time) vs how much you're willing to pay, community "environment"

Stockton, Tracy (and join the hordes over the Altamont Pass in commuting or take ACE), via I580. Hollister, San Juan Bauptista, Los Baños and join the folks near Pacheo Pass and US101.

The commute from Stockton or Tracy would be awful. You'll be with traffic before and after work. Also wouldn't call Stockton a "nice" city.

Honestly, depending on your budget, on the east, Union City would be ok. On the west, Pacifica or San Bruno for "cheaper" rent compared SF and the rest. A little longer commute for the latter two, but traffic isn't terrible both ways

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Been playing the Heck outta Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Physics are clunky, but the voice actors, cinematics and all-around deep RPGishness is addictive.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
The commute from Stockton or Tracy would be awful. You'll be with traffic before and after work. Also wouldn't call Stockton a "nice" city.

Honestly, depending on your budget, on the east, Union City would be ok. On the west, Pacifica or San Bruno for "cheaper" rent compared SF and the rest. A little longer commute for the latter two, but traffic isn't terrible both ways

Thanks for the advice. The Hayward job didn't work out, it involved way too much travel. She's taking one in San Ramon instead and we'll be looking for places in the tri-valley area, probably Livermore or San Ramon. I'll be looking for an art studio in Oakland and teaching classes in SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->