OT: 10,000 Pt XLIII - The Ultimate Raw Deal (or LS's House of the Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Between the hilariously awful track record the Wachowskis have had since the second Matrix (and that's taking into account both of them. Now we're getting 50% of their usual creative "genius") and the pesky little problem of Neo and Trinity both suffering a rather severe case of "the deads" before the last movie ended, I'm no exactly sure where this movie even comes from, where it goes, or (and most importantly) its 'why' from an artistic perspective (because I know the real 'why' is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Last edited:

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Between the hilariously awful track record the Wachowskis have had since the second Matrix (and that's taking into account both of them. Now we're getting 50% of their usual creative "genius") and the pesky little problem of Neo and Trinity both suffering a rather severe case of "the deads" before the last movie, I'm no exactly sure where this movie even comes from, where it goes, or (and most importantly) its 'why' from an artistic perspective (because I know the real 'why' is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

I remember when not every movie that came out was an existing property that was milked for all it was worth.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I remember when not every movie that came out was an existing property that was milked for all it was worth.

I don't even care about that. There's plenty of franchises that I like and have no problem with them continuing on for however long interest sustains them. At the end of the day, I have endless love for multiple franchises that are well past their 25th iteration in each case

I mean, I'm not even actually angry or upset or anything about them making a new Matrix. They can go ahead and make it and I'll reserve judgement and maybe catch it on blu-ray or TV or whatever somewhere down the line. No, my reaction is mostly just confusion. I just don't get it from any perspective beyond the studio really liking the cashflow. The first movie was great, Reloaded was pretty good, Revolutions was a mess. Nothing the Wachowskis have done since then has been all that great (at best. They've produced some real clunkers at worst), and I'm confused about plugging back into this franchise (pun intended) by resurrecting both your lead and primary supporting character after they each bought it in the last movie.

I'm getting M.Night Shamwow vibes here where it's like there's desperation to restore a once-lauded directorial stable by going back to a formerly popular well far too late to really do anything. Jupiter Ascending was their The Last Airbender (ye gods was that an unholy firestorm of awfulness), and this is like Glass or whatever the one he just did that tried to go back to the well of Unbreakable and that more recent movie with James McAvoy (the name escapes me). Either that or the one returning Wachowski is just so desperate for sweet, sweet studio money that she let the suits badger her into making exactly the kind of movie a marketing department asks for, damn the sensibility of it from a storytelling perspective.

Reactions: Sharks7

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
@The Nemesis

1. Eddie Redmayne was everything in JA. My goodness. :naughty:

2. Maybe Lana wants to make up for the last two Matrix movies. I mean, I sure would like to get the bad taste of those out of my mouth.

3. Bound was their masterpiece and The Matrix borrowed heavily from it. If only they went back to no-budget films.

4. I like numbers for some reason today.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
@The Nemesis

1. Eddie Redmayne was everything in JA. My goodness. :naughty:

2. Maybe Lana wants to make up for the last two Matrix movies. I mean, I sure would like to get the bad taste of those out of my mouth.

3. Bound was their masterpiece and The Matrix borrowed heavily from it. If only they went back to no-budget films.

4. I like numbers for some reason today.

Weird, I didn't get the alert for being tagged on this post.

1. I got the feeling that somewhere along the line he realized what a trainwreck of a movie that was and he just said "**** it, I'm gonna go nuts." And he did. To the max.

2. I contend that the second one wasn't that bad. It wasn't nearly as good as the first one, but it was a serviceable action movie with some good fights (besides the "burly brawl" of Neo vs 50 jillion Smiths) and wasn't quite at the point of having its head up its own ass with all its faux philosophical BS like the last one had. Seriously, the only redeeming part of the 3rd one was that dude that did the world's creepiest/most amazing Hugo Weaving impression to play as having Smith in his head.

3. Don't think I've seen Bound. Or if I have, it was far too long ago to remember clearly.

4. Numbers are awesome. And practical!

Last edited:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Weird, I didn't get the alert for being tagged on this post.

1. I got the feeling that somewhere along the line he realized what a trainwreck of a movie that was and he just said "**** it, I'm gonna go nuts." And he did. To the max.

2. I contend that the second one wasn't that bad. It wasn't nearly as good as the first one, but it was a serviceable action movie with some good fights (besides the "burly brawl" of Neo vs 50 jillion Smiths) and wasn't quite at the point of having its head up its own ass with all its faux philosophical BS like the last one had. Seriously, the only redeeming part of the 3rd one was that dude that did the world's creepiest/most amazing Hugo Weaving impression to play as having Smith in his head.

3. Don't think I've seen Bound. Or if I have, it was far too long ago to remember clearly.

4. Numbers are awesome. And practical!

Haha, who the hell would cast CHANNING TATERS and Mila Kunis as leads? Criminy!

And yeah, the burly brawl really ruined the movie for me, as did all the CGI Neo shots. They really shouldn't have touted how great it was going to look. Real shame, too, as the multiple Agent Smith angle was pretty cool.

Joe Pantoliano is great in Bound. He really made the movie aside from the decent writing. It's a tryst/heist movie, essentially. When/if you watch it, you will notice so many shots and techniques the Wachowskis took with them to The Matrix. Even the gritty, greenish tint of the computer world is there (honestly makes me wonder if Bound is in The Matrix universe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad