OT: 10,000 Pt XLIII - The Ultimate Raw Deal (or LS's House of the Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
That second shot really messed me up! I took a sick day for the first time in like 15 years and ended up sleeping for almost 13 hours.

Reactions: LadyStanley

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I got my second shot on Saturday and it really knocked me on my ass today, worth it to be vaccinated though!
I got the J&J on Friday. Had pretty awful chills for a bit later that night but that was about it.

That said, I was pretty hungover on Saturday so I have no idea if it was making me feel any worse or not either way.

Reactions: WTFetus

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Considering a move back to North America. Thailand is headed for doom and that makes it harder for foreigners to keep and find new jobs.

I think i want to live west coast and would prefer yearly warm weather. I'm thinking Bay Area, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, etc.

Sell me on your cities!

Come to Laguna Beach/Dana Point.

-if you make less than $1mil/year you’ll be the brokest person in your area so no one will ever rob you!
-worried about your car being dented or messed up in the parking lot? Well not to worry as everyone will be driving Audi r8s, g wagons, ferraris, lambos etc so everyone will give you at least two car spaces of distance in parking lots!
-worried about the housing market? Don’t worry unless you have $8-50million, you can’t afford homes here!

There are some good views and it’s pretty quiet so that’s good. Also tourists/SoCal people going to the beach tend to stick to Huntington, Newport and then up by Santa Monica/Venice so it’s usually not to bad out here

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Considering a move back to North America. Thailand is headed for doom and that makes it harder for foreigners to keep and find new jobs.

I think i want to live west coast and would prefer yearly warm weather. I'm thinking Bay Area, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, etc.

Sell me on your cities!

I live in the Bay Area but I went to school in San Diego and I’ve seriously considered moving back because I miss it so much. SD was such a chill, laid back place and the weather was absolutely to die for. My favorite times of the year were May and June, when it was so nice at night you could just walk around comfortably in a t-shirt and jeans. Was almost never humid either. Lots of thing to do whether you like outdoorsy stuff or city activities. I definitely recommend it, and this is coming from someone who can’t stand LA.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
@tiburon12 take a look at the cost of living comparisons. Median house price will give you an idea of the cost of buying a place.

Seattle has a lot of rain and folks often complain of the lack of sun.

You might also consider Arizona and southern Nevada -- warm/hot spring-fall, but can be cold in the desert winter. (Or find two places and change with the seasons?)

Cost of living is key, because i'm coming from a place where necessity items are priced really well. 1.5L of water is <50 cents, etc, and my 1-bedroom, 500sqft apartment in a nice part of the city is $600/month. Really hard to get my head around downgrading my cost of living.

Definitely looking at Arizona, but i'll check out NV as well, thanks :)

Come to Laguna Beach/Dana Point.

-if you make less than $1mil/year you’ll be the brokest person in your area so no one will ever rob you!
-worried about your car being dented or messed up in the parking lot? Well not to worry as everyone will be driving Audi r8s, g wagons, ferraris, lambos etc so everyone will give you at least two car spaces of distance in parking lots!
-worried about the housing market? Don’t worry unless you have $8-50million, you can’t afford homes here!

There are some good views and it’s pretty quiet so that’s good. Also tourists/SoCal people going to the beach tend to stick to Huntington, Newport and then up by Santa Monica/Venice so it’s usually not to bad out here

Oh i'm quite familiar with Dana Point. Cousins are from Laguna Niguel and when we would visit i would play water polo with them. Got a good feel for the vibe. Alas, I think it may be too pricey :(

I live in the Bay Area but I went to school in San Diego and I’ve seriously considered moving back because I miss it so much. SD was such a chill, laid back place and the weather was absolutely to die for. My favorite times of the year were May and June, when it was so nice at night you could just walk around comfortably in a t-shirt and jeans. Was almost never humid either. Lots of thing to do whether you like outdoorsy stuff or city activities. I definitely recommend it, and this is coming from someone who can’t stand LA.

I've only ever heard great things about San Diego. I think i will visit this summer when i'm in the states. Glad to know it gets another endorsement.

Is it a city where one needs a car or other personal transportation? Do people ride motorbikes?

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Cost of living is key, because i'm coming from a place where necessity items are priced really well. 1.5L of water is <50 cents, etc, and my 1-bedroom, 500sqft apartment in a nice part of the city is $600/month. Really hard to get my head around downgrading my cost of living.

Definitely looking at Arizona, but i'll check out NV as well, thanks :)

Oh i'm quite familiar with Dana Point. Cousins are from Laguna Niguel and when we would visit i would play water polo with them. Got a good feel for the vibe. Alas, I think it may be too pricey :(

I've only ever heard great things about San Diego. I think i will visit this summer when i'm in the states. Glad to know it gets another endorsement.

Is it a city where one needs a car or other personal transportation? Do people ride motorbikes?

San Diego has horrible public transportation and will need a car because of show spread out it is. Depending on your neighborhood you can walk a bunch but will still need a vehicle to get around to other areas of the city.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Yea I've never been a fan of SoCal as a whole but this is pretty much how I've felt about SD as well, at least in the handful of times I've been in the area.

San Diego has horrible public transportation and will need a car because of show spread out it is. Depending on your neighborhood you can walk a bunch but will still need a vehicle to get around to other areas of the city.
Sounds just like San Jose.

Reactions: Bowie22 and stator

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I use to take the bus in college in SD North County. Luck would have it that I lived in an optimal area where I just drove my car about 3 miles to the bus stop and park. That bus line went directly to the university. Saved on insurance and gas.

To get around that county on public trans, it was less than ideal. Okay, far from it.

San Jose is better in that respect because of the light rail stations and proximity to SJSU. I was taking the light rail to the library to code for about a year. If I had to go into work, I rode my bike to the light rail station, and rode into work at the closest stop which was Trimble. Going home, I would ride down the creek trail to the Children's Museum stop. During the summer, I would be almost dripping in sweat. Gave me lots of room on the train from the SJSU students.

I had the 2nd shot of Moderna last month and it resulted in a sore arm, some headaches, but no real energy the day after. The next day, I was fine. First shot was better than a typical flu shot... nothing.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Just dusted off NHL Hitz 2002. Still an A+ game.

Anyone care to take a guess at who the 6 players + 1 goalie are o the Sharks roster?

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Just dusted off NHL Hitz 2002. Still an A+ game.

Anyone care to take a guess at who the 6 players + 1 goalie are o the Sharks roster?

Owen, Sturm, Patty, Teemu, uh... Brad Stuart? Ricci? Damphousse? Scott Thornton? Korky? Prolly Nabby in goal. Tough to pin down after Teemu.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Driving up to Santa Cruz for a wedding; stopped by this place called Petra in SLO on recommendation and wow

Edit: and ya my bad slo, didn’t know I’d be stopping in slo. I’ll let you know for when I’m out here for reals

Last edited:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Haven't had time to open it yet, but I just recovered part of my childhood thanks to eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

I had given away my old one to a new father about 5 years ago. He was so stoked to see it in my garage, I couldn't not give it to him. Now that I have this again, I can't wait till my son is old enough so he can kick my butt at it!

edit: eBay pic from the listing

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Haven't had time to open it yet, but I just recovered part of my childhood thanks to eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

I had given away my old one to a new father about 5 years ago. He was so stoked to see it in my garage, I couldn't not give it to him. Now that I have this again, I can't wait till my son is old enough so he can kick my butt at it!

edit: eBay pic from the listing

I've never played that game. Looks interesting though. I'm a sucker for the gimmicky games that have some sort of weird quirk or unusual bit of play material (like the fact that yours advertises it talks to you).

I've also been trying to remember some of my favorite games from when I was younger. The one that sticks out the most is the one that's the least board-game-y. Siege (sometimes called Weapons & Warriors) was less of a board game and more of an excuse to shoot little plastic balls from catapults and ballistae at your opponent. It was still super fun though.

picWeapons__Warriors_-_Castle_Siege_Game.jpg

Other one I remember that was actually something my mom had bought before I was born was game called Bonkers.

A1r92ezU1vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a basic "race around the track" game, but the catch is that every time you land on a space you can put down a little chip/card thing that adds instructions to that space for every subsequent person who lands on it like automatically going forward/back a certain number of space, rolling again, skipping ahead to the nearest scoring zone, losing a turn, or whatever. So basically as the game progresses you rewrite the rules of the game as you move and can set things up to chain space instructions together (like you put down a "go forward 2 spaces" card so that the next person that lands there goes forward 2 spaces, which lands them on a space that sends them back 10, which lands them on one that sends them back 5 more, which sends them to the "lose" space where they are deducted a point off their score.

I've also been watching a lot of a youtube channel about board games and the like because it's not just cool to see about different games or discussions of classic games, it's also just damn entertaining.

witness: the top 10 "meanest" games (ie they provide you ample opportunities to choose to dick over your opponents):

Or the top 10 games for 2 players:

there's also a short series called "is it good?" where they look at classic, iconic games and ask if they're actually entertaining and enjoyable now that we've seen the hobby evolve. There are entries for Clue (or "Cluedo" as it's known in England), Monopoly, Uno, chess, etc. Apparently they have Risk on the docket to look at as well. And a series that looks at histories and significances of games. And it's pretty much all entertaining.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I need to watch these. I am teaching my better half the card game of Gwent. It's a mini game in Witcher 3, but an Etsy shop in Russia printed all the cards in incredible quality. So damn fun.

Reactions: The Nemesis

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I need to watch these. I am teaching my better half the card game of Gwent. It's a mini game in Witcher 3, but an Etsy shop in Russia printed all the cards in incredible quality. So damn fun.

that's cool (and probably legally dubious. But of course it's Russia :laugh:). I've wondered sometimes about how games within other games would work when ported to the real world. But since I've never played any of the Witcher games I'm not familiar with how that game plays.

I've taught a few family members how to play Magic: The Gathering. The learning curve can be daunting, but it was actually fun because it made me think about how to construct teaching decks that were fun enough to be entertaining, but not so complex that they scared off the newbies.

There's also a party-box type setup called "Magic Game Night" that lets you buy a pack of 5 decks (one of each color) set up and tuned to work well against each other and function in any environment from one-on-one to five-way free-for-alls while also being super flavorful and representative of what each color is all about (like the black deck is zombies and demons and does a lot of graverobbing and powering your magics with the blood of your own underlings. Green is life and nature. And also the part that has massive dinosaurs and forest creatures that stomp everything in their path into a fine paste. Etc)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
@slocal You're going to need this list in a few years. Or right now because "family" game or not a bunch of these look super fun. King of Tokyo is right up my alley and conceptually Stuffed Fables looks fantastic thematically and seems like it'd occupy a really great niche.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
@slocal You're going to need this list in a few years. Or right now because "family" game or not a bunch of these look super fun. King of Tokyo is right up my alley and conceptually Stuffed Fables looks fantastic thematically and seems like it'd occupy a really great niche.

Neat! Stuffed Fables definitely looks like the winner. Damien would have to wait quite a while before he gets to play, lol. I wonder how replayable it is.

I went ahead and ordered another board game from my childhood: 1978 Mattell Godzilla game. I originally got it as a thrift store win and it was missing a few ships. I lost it when moved out and some relatives with sticky fingers stayed in my old room. So...$100 later, I ha e another copy. Simple game that manages to startle the crap out of you.

2615427914_f7a0164dba_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad