OT: 10,000 Pt XLII - The Bouncing Turd

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I'm kind of tired of the "Simpsons predicted it" meme because a lot of what they do is really sketchy/vague in terms of interpreting gags and jokes on the show as 'predictions' of future events. Kind of like people losing their **** over cramming Nostradamus prophecies into anything they possibly can no matter how roundabout the logic is.

The cup has appeared multiple times in the show, and it's something recognizable and iconic so of course it'll be used as a short-hand visual gag. They also did that time that Krusty drank out of the cup while he was on a huge bender. Is someone going to be watching for the time when a guy who wins the cup moonlights as a professional clown? (insert Corey Perry joke here)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
De5FfoNVQAAguZc.jpg

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Probably, but I find it very odd that they're changing the name after that many years.

I wish there was a Waffle House near me. I've never had it before. Pancakes >>>>>>>>>> Waffles, though.
I think waffles are better just because it's a lot easier to screw up a pancake than it is to mess up a waffle

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Why?

You've built 60 years of brand identity and loyalty. Throwing it away on a stupid marketing gimmick seems pointless.

Of course, I suppose it's no less pointless than the fact that they don't even refer to IHOP by its full name anymore and the acronym basically doesn't even stand for anything anymore.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Why?

You've built 60 years of brand identity and loyalty. Throwing it away on a stupid marketing gimmick seems pointless.

Of course, I suppose it's no less pointless than the fact that they don't even refer to IHOP by its full name anymore and the acronym basically doesn't even stand for anything anymore.

International House Of Pineapple (upside-down cake) promo.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping, but that place is a Celiac's nightmare. Nooo thank you. So please, pour a little of that syrup for your homey who cannot be there. :puppy:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
KFC is an abbreviation as well.

No ****, really? :sarcasm:

What I was referring to was that IHOP basically never uses or brands with the full name anymore and that made me wonder if they had "officially" dropped the long form of the name and just use the acronym without it standing for anything. Kind of like the ECHL did about 15 years ago where the acronym no longer stands for "East Coast Hockey League" and in fact doesn't stand for anything at all anymore. . Or like people alleged KFC did to distance themselves from the "stigma" of the word "fried", or if you believe the conspiracy nuts, because they could no longer legally refer to their product as chicken. Thought that one turned out to be totally false on both counts.

My hope is that this is erhaps a combo of a temporary promo for new burgers that will revert and a fake New Coke ploy where they'll reap the benefits of going back to the old name when it happens.

Also I'm enjoying them getting roasted on twitter by all the other burger chains.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Is anyone interested in the World Cup even though the USMNT isn’t in it?

All WC talk goes in here if you folks want to discuss it.

Kind of weird without Holland and Italy as well. I’ll be following Germany a bit but I think all of the games pretty much conflict with my work schedule so it’ll be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad