10 000 hours to get really good?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I've heard this bandied about for a bunch of things before, but had it mentioned by a hockey coach the other day. Given 2000 hours is around the equivalent of a years full time work. Is that on the money?

I figure I have about 500 down over the last year or so and perhaps another 500 or so back in the day.

Anyone have any clue how much time they've logged v where their game is at? I'm just starting to get up to speed in terms of putting together skating, stick handling, positioning and game awareness all at the same time, but still lagging well behind the lifers.

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
I reckon it's a good ball park figure. But 10,000 hours is a LOT of time. There's also the proviso that your practice has to be good practice. I have more to say on this but I just got in from hockey and need a shower :D

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm just looking at where I was 12 months ago v where I was 6 months ago, 3 months ago, last month and so on. The passes are starting to come more and they're sticking more, while the mobility and agility is increasingly on the up, winning the race to more loose pucks and not being so easily dispossessed of such. The skating is increasingly less of a focus and a lot more aware of where the puck is going, where the space is and where to be or go.

The error rate and consistency is still the biggest thing I'm trying to work on, at least saving the mistakes for the right end.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's a BS number. Pop psychology at its worst. Get lots of practice, but it has to be good practice. Bad practice will reinforce bad habits, and that helps no one.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
It's a BS number. Pop psychology at its worst. Get lots of practice, but it has to be good practice. Bad practice will reinforce bad habits, and that helps no one.

Exactly. The wonderful secret about hockey is that you can practice almost all your offensive skills off ice, some even without a puck/ball/etc.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often

Certainly there will be no magic number or figure, but hockey aside, to develop muscle memory or to be able to do anything on reflex or instinctively takes much, much repetition, perhaps thousands.

I'd suggest it's generally also true that players with a lot more time and experience under their belts than oneself (from my observation) tend to be better all around or overall, while those with less don't tend to be as good, so quality or technical proficiency aside, the more time you spend on anything the better at it you tend to be.

Even spending ten hours a week would take twenty years to amass 10000 hours, but the vast bulk of players at the most elite level would have to have approached or exceeded that, especially once it becomes a job or career.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
10,000 hours is the amount of time to become world class at something. I believe the original study looked at like a violinist and computer programmer (Bill Gates maybe?).

The average joe doesn't need 10,000 hours just to become good or proficient at something.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Get yourself some plexi glass, a bucket of pucks, a net(concrete/brick wall and tape works to) and one of the weighted balls that simulate a puck. Practice stick handling on the plexiglass. 100 stick handles back and forth(9o'clock, 10 oclock. 11clock, 12oclock, 1, 2 and 3) every day. As you get better anf better practice doing so keeping your head up, it will help your overall game more than you realize. Practice passing to yourself forhand and back hand for about a half hour on each hand (15 minutes each and switch) and a absolute **** ton of shooting.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm not thinking about or envisaging putting in 10 000 hours to try and be a good old timer in my 50's or 60's, rather wondering how much time those guys in here who rate themselves might have logged to be where they're at?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Wow!!! 10 hours a week is a ton of hockey!! I thought I was doing great with 3-5 per week. Good for you :yo:

Not all hockey, on ice usually five times a week, a couple of two hour pick ups, a league game, a coaching session (either skating or skills) when I can get there plus I'll squeeze in a weekend or evening public session somewhere. I do shift work so I can get out during the week in the daytime as well when the rink is sometimes empty or close to it and they'll let me take a stick and some pucks out so long as I stay out of anyone else's way and don't fire pucks near anyone.

..and it just seems like it's not enough.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I've heard this bandied about for a bunch of things before, but had it mentioned by a hockey coach the other day. Given 2000 hours is around the equivalent of a years full time work. Is that on the money?

I figure I have about 500 down over the last year or so and perhaps another 500 or so back in the day.

Anyone have any clue how much time they've logged v where their game is at? I'm just starting to get up to speed in terms of putting together skating, stick handling, positioning and game awareness all at the same time, but still lagging well behind the lifers.

It's 10 000 hours of dedicated and focused practice to become a master, it's an interesting concept but I don't think you need to use it unless you want to make the NHL.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
It's 10 000 hours of dedicated and focused practice to become a master, it's an interesting concept but I don't think you need to use it unless you want to make the NHL.

No, as mentioned, not planning on trying hit any mark, but rather wondering how much time some of the better players on here think they might have put in. I put a bit of time in because I enjoy it, not because there's any future in it, other than keeping in shape. It's strictly a hobby, but i do like competing; and playing to win.

..but for someone who started at four of five years old, 10 000 hours probably isn't that big a number by the time they're an adult.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
..but for someone who started at four of five years old, 10 000 hours probably isn't that big a number by the time they're an adult.

It still quite a lot. A 4 year old would have to log over 700 hours a year, say 14 a week, about 2 hours every day, by the time he or she is 18, and assuming no off season ... ever.

10,000 hours is a reasonable benchmark. That's 5 years working full time at anything. Or a Bachelors and Masters, or hey, a PHD. And after 5 years, there should be at least a level of competency.

Of course, results will vary, but I bet that 4 year old would grow to be a pretty good adult rec league player!

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Ya the 10k hours is meant to me the average hours need to master a skill or trade. It has nothing to do with just being good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad