Proposal: #1: What should Edmonton trade Hemsky for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Hemsky should be moved for a bottom 6 forward with size and grit. This would be best if it was a center, but a left wing would work as well.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
In before someone says "a bucket of pucks" and offers to drive him to the airport. :shakehead

Personally, I'd like to see him traded for a true 3rd line RW. I'd target Joel Ward.

Either that, or hang onto him and hope he has a solid season and try to get a late first for him at the deadline.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
At this point, they should probably keep him as the other options seem to be:

Trade him for virtually nothing.
Retain some salary and trade him for slightly more than nothing.

Neither are great options for a team that wants to make noise now. There's little reason Hemsky can't be slotted into a 3rd line role similar to that of, say, Jannik Hansen or Viktor Stalberg. And, at this stage in his career, he should seriously consider embracing that role.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's here until Christmas at least now I would think.

I don't have a huge issue with it, he's a depth forward that can slide into the top six easily if you have injuries and maybe provide a dash of offense in the bottom six.

If RNH is not ready to go for opening night, I'd start with this

Perron Gagner Eberle
Hemsky Hall Yakupov

Upfront.

Hopefully you don't have to ride that top six too long, but it's not much of a downgrade skill wise.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
3rd liner with size that can hit

(is the wrong answer)

Dont care much about size or grit (6'5, 250 or 6'0, 205 dont matter to me) I want a guy than can either A) Shut down oppositions top lines (while providing below avg to average offense) or B) A forward in the bottom 6 that can get the puck out of the zone and can provide offensive chances

We dont need a guy to do C) run around hitting player meanwhile providing no offense or defense.

Hemsky on the third line can do B). And im happy with that. But Ill be a bit more happy with A) and unhappy with C)

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Ideally, a 3rd or 4th line winger that better compliments the team, but it isn't going to happen.

No one in the NHL is interested in taking on Hemsky's 5.5 million in salary owed, and it's unlikely his perceived value by other GMs is enough to get any real value back for him. He'll probably here until the deadline where the Oilers might be lucky enough to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him if he's not injured(the odds aren't good), though I suspect they'll find no takers and he'll walk at the end of the season as a UFA.

My real worry is how Eakins is going to approach the situation though. Handled poorly, and we could be looking at Yakupov buried on the 3rd or 4th line all year because of a coach that can't see past age and salary.

hemskysuncle

Nov 2, 2007

I don't have a huge issue with it, he's a depth forward that can slide into the top six easily if you have injuries and maybe provide a dash of offense in the bottom six.

Perron Gagner Eberle
Hemsky Hall Yakupov

Upfront.

Hopefully you don't have to ride that top six too long, but it's not much of a downgrade skill wise.
I think it is both laughable and amazing that you could call Hemsky a "depth forward" that can slide into the top six when needed. Everyone on this board knows two things - 1. Hemsky is a game changer and 2. The reason he is considered a "depth forward" now is because there are more game changers on the team that do it more often than he does.

I still think the return people are expecting for him is lower than reality. hemsky is not worth a plug. however, i think that is why he hasn't been traded yet. it ishard to match up the need for his talent with the salary room. And trading him just to trade him is just plain dumb. Despite the kneejerk reaction that people might have to say he is worthless...he simply isn't. he is considered a "depth forward" on our team...but in fact he is a top 6 player on pretty much any team. I am almost sure he will be traded, but I also think it will depend on how well things go with Perron, and even the rest...Imean it is quite possible they trade one of the kids if the right deal comes, and then Hemsky falls into that slot. It is not probable...but in the realm of possibility.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hemsky, I love the guy to death, but even if we kept half his money we would probably still be throwing in a conditional pick or just getting future considerations, the man is pretty much stealing 10 million dollars, it's harsh but I'm just calling it

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think it is both laughable and amazing that you could call Hemsky a "depth forward" that can slide into the top six when needed. Everyone on this board knows two things - 1. Hemsky is a game changer and 2. The reason he is considered a "depth forward" now is because there are more game changers on the team that do it more often than he does.

I still think the return people are expecting for him is lower than reality. hemsky is not worth a plug. however, i think that is why he hasn't been traded yet. it ishard to match up the need for his talent with the salary room. And trading him just to trade him is just plain dumb. Despite the kneejerk reaction that people might have to say he is worthless...he simply isn't. he is considered a "depth forward" on our team...but in fact he is a top 6 player on pretty much any team. I am almost sure he will be traded, but I also think it will depend on how well things go with Perron, and even the rest...Imean it is quite possible they trade one of the kids if the right deal comes, and then Hemsky falls into that slot. It is not probable...but in the realm of possibility.

If there are six better forwards that can do it better than you can, then you are in effect a "depth forward" if being an offensive forward is your calling card.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
let him play 1st line PP and ES with taylor hall and inflate his totals for the trade deadline.

sure were gambling he wont get hurt but right now you arent getting much value so why not try to maximize your return. Its like painting your car before you sell it, maybe it entices a buyer or maybe it hails the next day and you eat the $2k. at this point its worth a shot.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A bucket of pucks and i'll drive him to the airport (Sorry NAF ;)).

Bottom 6 help obviously. Zach Smith would obviously be a pipedream (looking even less likely now with the Ryan addition) but a team like Nashville or Phoenix who have an abundance of bottom 6 players, could use a player like Hemsky and have the cap space i believe would be good targets.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
let him play 1st line PP and ES with taylor hall and inflate his totals for the trade deadline.

sure were gambling he wont get hurt but right now you arent getting much value so why not try to maximize your return. Its like painting your car before you sell it, maybe it entices a buyer or maybe it hails the next day and you eat the $2k. at this point its worth a shot.

Or maybe we can play the lineup that will actually win us games instead of worrying about the trade value of a spare part.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
In before someone says "a bucket of pucks" and offers to drive him to the airport. :shakehead

Personally, I'd like to see him traded for a true 3rd line RW. I'd target Joel Ward.

Either that, or hang onto him and hope he has a solid season and try to get a late first for him at the deadline.

Ward would be ideal.

I doubt it happens. But we're going to lose whatever trade we do, because we're sending away the better player. Hemsky isn't a fit here long term, but he's still an exceptionally talented player with a good attitude. He never asked for the easy exit during the bad old days. That's worth something to me. I'm in no rush to ride him out on a rail unceremoniously.

The other part is, we are banking on Yakupov, after playing only half a season in the NHL, to break out and never look back. Not hitting the sophomore slump at all. It wouldn't be a terrible thing to have Hemsky shelter Yak for part of the season.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert

Perron Gagner Eberle
Hemsky Hall Yakupov

Upfront.

This is why i dont mind keeping Hemsky, every year one of our forwards get hurt then boom your top 6 now has Jones, or Smyth or someone who is closer to a 4th liner than a top 6 guy. with Hemsky at least he can play a top 6. nothing wrong with some depth.

If we can trade him for an upgrade to that 3rd line do it, but him on that line is better than moving other guys up for the sake of getting rid of him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad