Speculation: #1 position for Waivers

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Every year, teams are forced to try and sneak players through the waiver wire before opening day that just missed the cut. Montreal automatically gets any of these players that they want sitting at #1. Instead of trying to acquire UFA's, the team would be better served by claiming a few of these players and letting the prospects who are waiver exempt develop in the AHL rather than force them into the NHL line-up.

I am not looking at the older players, rather the ones who will be RFA's at the end of the season. If the player works out, you can retain them by giving them their qualifying offer, or move them to a team at the TDL when contenders are looking for cheap options and may pay more for a guy who is not a rental. If they don't work out, you put them back on waivers and open the roster spot, if they are not claimed you have a depth player for Laval who does not take up a veteran spot.

Looking at the depth chart age wise, the team is lacking in players that fill the gap between the youngsters and prospects and the older veterans, so this could be a great way to fill that void.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every year, teams are forced to try and sneak players through the waiver wire before opening day that just missed the cut. Montreal automatically gets any of these players that they want sitting at #1. Instead of trying to acquire UFA's, the team would be better served by claiming a few of these players and letting the prospects who are waiver exempt develop in the AHL rather than force them into the NHL line-up.

I am not looking at the older players, rather the ones who will be RFA's at the end of the season. If the player works out, you can retain them by giving them their qualifying offer, or move them to a team at the TDL when contenders are looking for cheap options and may pay more for a guy who is not a rental. If they don't work out, you put them back on waivers and open the roster spot, if they are not claimed you have a depth player for Laval who does not take up a veteran spot.

Looking at the depth chart age wise, the team is lacking in players that fill the gap between the youngsters and prospects and the older veterans, so this could be a great way to fill that void.

No doubt they will consider this and they have this year with Niku, Clague, and Pitlick. However, we have to be careful with the 50 contract limit during the season. I'm wondering where we stand heading into this season. We stand at 30 right now but that will grow to around 45 ish.

Some fans want us to "get rid of" guys like Byron, Drouin, Hoffman, Armia. I don't see the point cause we need NHL players and we won't have a roster full of guys age 25 and under. Byron and Drouin are likely moved at the next deadline and Hoffman and Armia can be moved if a team calls us with a fair offer. No need to be obsessed to trade them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nice!

I still think Pitlick will be a good player for us moving forward.

Not a bad piece for rebuilding years yes. However, I don't consider him a contender solution around the 5 year mark. For now, I like him in our mix. Exciting to watch at times and skates well which helps our pace of play. But this type is not turning the needle in the playoffs.

The next Byron? I won't complain too much if he is still with us in the 5+ year mark... depending on the lines and how the overall roster looks. Maybe he is our version of Kerfoot from the Leafs?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Good point. Every year there's a good young player who is no longer exempt that gets put on waivers. Habs should keep some contract space open JIC one comes up that we can't pass on and not just to plug holes like we did this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not a bad piece for rebuilding years yes. However, I don't consider him a contender solution around the 5 year mark. For now, I like him in our mix. Exciting to watch at times and skates well which helps our pace of play. But this type is not turning the needle in the playoffs.

The next Byron? I won't complain too much if he is still with us in the 5+ year mark... depending on the lines and how the overall roster looks. Maybe he is our version of Kerfoot from the Leafs?

He's a quality bottom sixer. I would think potentially more of a Karl Hagelin type - who had a big impact in a couple of playoffs with his speed.

The key is if he can be really good in his role. It will take a while to find out. Because now we're 4 forwards short of a real top 6, so he'll be playing out of role.

But I really liked the Pitlick-Evans-Lehkonen line as a 3rd line.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
No doubt they will consider this and they have this year with Niku, Clague, and Pitlick. However, we have to be careful with the 50 contract limit during the season. I'm wondering where we stand heading into this season. We stand at 30 right now but that will grow to around 45 ish.

Some fans want us to "get ride of" guys like Byron, Drouin, Hoffman, Armia. I don't see the point cause we need bodies and we won't have a roster full of guys age 25 and under. Byron and Drouin are likely moved at the next deadline and Hoffman and Armia can be moved if a team calls us with a fair offer. No need to be obsessed to trade them.
If going in this is the plan, the team decides that they are claiming lets say, the top 5 players on waivers and leave the 5 contract spots open to claim them. I also hope they spend the money to sign players like Dea, Ouelette etc.. to AHL deals at the NHL minimum salary and free up spots that way as well.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's a quality bottom sixer. I would think potentially more of a Karl Hagelin type - who had a big impact in a couple of playoffs with his speed.

The key is if he can be really good in his role. It will take a while to find out. Because now we're 4 forwards short of a real top 6, so he'll be playing out of role.

I liked that line as well! How much more growth do you think Pitlick has at this stage?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I liked that line as well! How much more growth do you think Pitlick has at this stage?

It's still too small of a sample size for me to know a) who he is, and b) how much growth he has. He is or is about to turn 25.

But even though he's not producing as much lately, he's still getting chances.

We'll see how much he can do aside from increasing our team speed, which in itself is a much needed contribution, especially since he can play the game, i.e. isn't a plug.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's still too small of a sample size for me to know a) who he is, and b) how much growth he has. He is or is about to turn 25.

But even though he's not producing as much lately, he's still getting chances.

We'll see how much he can do aside from increasing our team speed, which in itself is a much needed contribution, especially since he can play the game, i.e. isn't a plug.

I like him with us for that 3-5 year window and then we will see where he is at age 30 and where the team is at as well. That's kind of how I see a piece like this.

Reactions: Nicko999 and BLONG7

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
This guy was a nice find.............ala Byron.
You can find these guys, every now and then............remember when Brierre was put on waivers by the Yotes? Goes on to a great career with Buffalo and Philly.
It can happen, just not very often.
Having both MSL and Byron in the fold could motivate a player claimed on waivers hoprfully.

Reactions: BLONG7

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Have past teams done this at end of camp?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

Some fans want us to "get rid of" guys like Byron, Drouin, Hoffman, Armia. I don't see the point cause we need NHL players and we won't have a roster full of guys age 25 and under. Byron and Drouin are likely moved at the next deadline and Hoffman and Armia can be moved if a team calls us with a fair offer. No need to be obsessed to trade them.

Agreed. I’d rather Hoff, Byron, Gallagher and Drouin take the heat from the fans rather than the young guys.

I’d trade Drouin at the TDL though.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Agreed. I’d rather Hoff, Byron, Gallagher and Drouin take the heat from the fans rather than the young guys.

I’d trade Drouin at the TDL though.
No one is looking for a casper type of forward like Drouin......I hope they buy him out, yes I know he only has one year left, but I just want the huge mistake gone...

Jul 6, 2016
Byron is pretty much "done". The guy is injured beyond repairs. He won't come back.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Montembault, Clague and Pitlick have all helped the team. Will be interesting to see where the roster is at to start next season, including the players finishing this year banged up. A good thread to bump near the end of camp next fall.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No one is looking for a casper type of forward like Drouin......I hope they buy him out, yes I know he only has one year left, but I just want the huge mistake gone...
I suppose if Hughes thinks he adds nothing to the team and they want the roster spot it would make sense to buy him out.
Post automatically merged:

I suppose if Hughes thinks he adds nothing to the team and they want the roster spot it would make sense to buy him out.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Post automatically merged:

True..............if history has taught us anything, he has added nothing, so.............................

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Suzuki can handle lots of responsibility. We need another top-6 C, and then Dvorak is a very good 3C. Evans is a strong 4C. Both of them are ohnly 26.

Getting one more good C changes our forward group on its own, and then a strong winger would push everyone into the right chairs.

The bigger task is rebuilding the D. We have good prospects but will at least three work out?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Any last place team ever get a player before end of camp? Every year there's a team in this position
Every case is unique, not many go from Cup Final to last in the league. Montreal is in a special situation, the prospects for the most part have no Pro experience yet, and the AHL team is composed of mainly veterans with no NHL future ahead of them, so there is a huge need for players that fall in between the two groups. These in my opinion should go to waiver players who may just need an opportunity, instead of signing the Perreault and Paquette washed up veterans as UFA's to fill the roster.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Imagine saying he's not good in the playoffs when never seeing him in the playoffs.

Some people say the funniest shit.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki can handle lots of responsibility. We need another top-6 C, and then Dvorak is a very good 3C. Evans is a strong 4C. Both of them are ohnly 26.

Getting one more good C changes our forward group on its own, and then a strong winger would push everyone into the right chairs.

The bigger task is rebuilding the D. We have good prospects but will at least three work out?

Guhle
Romanov
Barron
Harris

I give each of those 4 an 80% or greater chance of working out
So the question to me is, will at least 5 or 6 work out?

We'll get to see Norlinder Xhekaj and Fairbrother this year in Laval, struble and Mailloux next year.

As for the current dcore, only savard is in his wrong chair:

Eddy Petry
Romanov _________
Harris Savard
Schuneman, Wideman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad