GDT: #1 (Part 2): FLYERS 5 at Golden Knights 2, Thursday, Oct. 4, 2018, 10:00 p.m. ET

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

mycgW9Z.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Snaheim just needs to do it for a few games.
Hagg and MacDonald played that 3 on 2 to perfection, Elliott made an easy save look hard.
In fact, Hagg actually looks like a top 4 D-man tonight, but let's not get carried away!

Flyer are showing the difference depth makes, I don't think MAF played worse than Elliott, he just didn't play out of his gourd like last season.
But the Flyers showed they can skate with Vegas four lines deep, and they're the more physical team.
A little luck, but also going up 5-1 on the road messes with your head, hard not to relax a little.
But the first ten minutes, wow, they just took it to Vegas in their own building on opening night.

This is why I am happy to see Martel gone, I don't want skating smurfs, I want guys like Raffl who hound you over 200 feet.
And Voracek actually made a good defense play getting back, get that boy motivated and he could be special, not just good.

This is the way Hakstol wants this team to play, not a shell, but smart and aggressive, not out of control, but balls to the wall.

Yeah, no. This is quite different so far, including their offensive scheme and the newfound emphasis on setting up forwards around the net and in the slot, and with net pressure, rather than lazily deferring to crappy D shots. Let's not act like this was how he wanted them to play in the past.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, no. This is quite different so far, including their offensive scheme and the newfound emphasis on setting up forwards around the net and in the slot, and with net pressure, rather than lazily deferring to crappy D shots. Let's not act like this was how he wanted them to play in the past.

Lot's of D shots, but they now have physical forwards around the net and in the slot, can't pass to someone who isn't there.
Personnel make a big difference, they can also aggressively forecheck with all four lines now.
More size, more speed, more skill.
As Lavi has shown, it's a lot easier being a brilliant coach when you have talent.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lot's of D shots, but they now have physical forwards around the net and in the slot, can't pass to someone who isn't there.
Personnel make a big difference, they can also aggressively forecheck with all four lines now.
More size, more speed, more skill.
As Lavi has shown, it's a lot easier being a brilliant coach when you have talent.

:facepalm:

You're just going to ignore that players who were present last year, like Raffl, Laughton, and Lehtera, are suddenly focusing on setting each other up around the net from the boards instead of sending it back to the blueline at the first chance?

I'm giving Hakstol credit for a much-needed adjustment, which is actually good coaching, and you're gonna pretend the issue didn't exist to begin with or that the change hasn't occurred? You're gonna give all the credit to Hextall and act as if coaches have no influence and are entirely at the mercy of their rosters? If that's the case why even have coaches?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad