#1 Ottawa vs #4 Sudbury

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
After an intriguing 1st round of OHL playoffs (sarcasm intended), round 2 is now set.

Game #1 Fri. Apr. 5 Sby @ Ott 7pm
Game #2 Sun. Apr. 7 Sby @ Ott 2pm
Game #3 Tues. Apr. 9 Ott @ Sby 7:05pm
Game #4 Thurs. Apr. 11 Ott @ Sby 7:05pm
Game #5 Sat. Apr. 13 Sby @ Ott 7pm*
Game #6 Mon. Apr 15 Ott @ Sby 7:05pm*
Game #7 Tues. Apr. 16 Sby @ Ott 7pm*

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Ottawa in 7. I think we'll put alot of pressure on them like Owen Sound and Kitchener did to the Sault last year.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Ottawa in 5.......I just think that Ottawa matches up better in every single category, even in goal where versus any other team Sudbury may have the edge they don't even have that in this series. I do wonder if this gets into a physical series if Ottawa doesn't wilt or plays out of their element and the Wolves do have some players who like to play in the gutter.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the games themselves will be close but I see this as a short series. I will say Ottawa in FIVE but three of the wins will be by a goal (Empty Netters not included). We could see a couple OT games here too.

I'd rather this series now than in round 3. I think the games will be officiated tighter in round 2 than round 3 and if Sudbury does try to drag it through the gutter (in an effort to slow down the 67's forwards), I think they will get thrown in the box.

A lot has been mentioned about the size of the 67's forwards but if the interference type calls are made, it will be tough for Sudbury to line up the 67's smaller forwards. They don't get hit often.

It will be a fun series and I am looking forward to it. Sudbury is a great team and have a lot of classy fans. I know we'll al have a good time chatting this one up!

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Ottawa in 5.......I just think that Ottawa matches up better in every single category, even in goal where versus any other team Sudbury may have the edge they don't even have that in this series. I do wonder if this gets into a physical series if Ottawa doesn't wilt or plays out of their element and the Wolves do have some players who like to play in the gutter.
They simply don’t have an advantage in goal. I’m sorry they just do not, Ukka is better then both, you can’t play both goalies at the same time so them having the second best and third best goalies in the series means nothing.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Sudbury in 6 call me a homer but UKKA is gonna steal the series. The wolves have done it before. I really believe if we win 1 in Ottawa well win them all in Sudbury

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

Yeah this is a strange comment to me. Ottawa in 5 is a fine prediction that wouldn't surprise me at all, but saying the 67's have an advantage in goal is just bad analysis.

Reactions: WolvesFanSudbury

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
They simply don’t have an advantage in goal. I’m sorry they just do not, Ukka is better then both, you can’t play both goalies at the same time so them having the second best and third best goalies in the series means nothing.
Ukko bro :)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Regarding the goaltending, although UPL is probably better right now (probably the best junior aged goalie world wide), DiPietro is right there with him. So, although Sudbury has the better goalie, I am not sure it is wide enough of a margin to call it an advantage.

There are three goalies left in these playoffs that can steal games and two of them will be going head to head this round in Ottawa and Sudbury. Niagara will be facing the 3rd. That will be a great series too.

Ottawa’s defense is very strong. Their offense is also very strong. They have a considerable advantage in scoring, a slight advantage in defense and a slimmer than slim disadvantage in goaltending.

I fully expect the 67’s to pull out the victory in this series and I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a short series. No disrespect to Sudbury either. The games will be close games for sure. I don’t see any blowouts either way in this series. I will go out on a limb and suggest neither team scores more than 4 goals in any game. It will be a great one to watch.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it goes the distance with home ice in game 7 being the difference.

Two great teams, I honestly think whoever wins this series goes to the final.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Hopefully the 67's can maintain their cool.

They have shown that they can get rattled with after the whistle stuff. If this turns into that type of series, the 67's will be in tough.

UPL is the wildcard, he can steal the series if he's on his A game. Ottawa will have to get creative to consistently score in this series.

All that being said, I do think Ottawa takes it in 6.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think it goes the distance with home ice in game 7 being the difference.

Two great teams, I honestly think whoever wins this series goes to the final.
Agree but only one team is widely considered great while the other is considered by many to be a good team, albeit with an outstanding goalie.
As much of a fan as I am I can’t say this matchup should be that close if you look on paper.
Let’s remember the Wolves are one year removed from finishing DEAD LAST in the OHL and are now competing with a top ranked team.
I’m sorry, but to me it would be nothing less than disastrous for the 67’s to be upset by the woofers considering their team and the season they’ve had. The Wolves have nothing to lose and I bet they don’t accept or even maybe know they’re supposed to :)
I said on the Wolves thread if I was Stillman I’d be playing up the underdog card like crazy. The old let’s prove everyone wrong.
I know this much from watching the Wolves. They’ve got a ton of heart and they’re tight like a drum as a team, brother to brother. I love it :)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully the 67's can maintain their cool.

They have shown that they can get rattled with after the whistle stuff. If this turns into that type of series, the 67's will be in tough.

UPL is the wildcard, he can steal the series if he's on his A game. Ottawa will have to get creative to consistently score in this series.

All that being said, I do think Ottawa takes it in 6.

Felhaber has to play better get more engaged and start taking the puck tot he net. Hoefenmier needs to not play like he is brain dead, which for him is very difficult at times they will need both of these things to happen for them to win.

Chmlevski will also have to outplay Byfield head to head. Those are the key points for the 67's in my opinon.

Reactions: LR8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree but only one team is widely considered great while the other is considered by many to be a good team, albeit with an outstanding goalie.
As much of a fan as I am I can’t say this matchup should be that close if you look on paper.
Let’s remember the Wolves are one year removed from finishing DEAD LAST in the OHL and are now competing with a top ranked team.
I’m sorry, but to me it would be nothing less than disastrous for the 67’s to be upset by the woofers considering their team and the season they’ve had. The Wolves have nothing to lose and I bet they don’t accept or even maybe know they’re supposed to :)
I said on the Wolves thread if I was Stillman I’d be playing up the underdog card like crazy. The old let’s prove everyone wrong.
I know this much from watching the Wolves. They’ve got a ton of heart and they’re tight like a drum as a team, brother to brother. I love it :)

Ottawa had 9 more Regulation and OT wins than Sudbury. That is significant. To put it in perspective, Sudbury had 11 more Regulation and Overtime wins than Mississauga and the Wolves rolled right over Mississauga.

I am not suggesting Ottawa is going to roll right over Sudbury but that gap creates quite the handicap. Anything can happen. Hamilton beat SSM last year and there was a wide gap there.

I think it is safe to say that without UPL, this series would be four games. If that holds true, it means UPL has to be a massive difference maker.

Ottawa is no slouch defensively and in net. It won’t be easy for the Wolves to score. They are a middle of the pack team relying a lot on young guys like Byfeld and Murray. Ruzicka had a great year last year for Sarnia but only managed 3 assists in 12 playoff games. HE was ok in round one with four assists but he needs to be much more impactful for the Wolves to even have a chance. Twenty playoff games with ZERO goals is pretty glaring for a kid that has scored 96 goals in 189 games.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Just to clarify - UPL vs DiPietro is not a one sided advantage. I have a preference for DiPietro, but acknowledge we are talking about a very slight advantage in one direction or the other. These are the top 2 goalies in the league in my opinion - both capable of winning a series on their own. Either way I'm hoping for a good series. If the Wolves muck it up I wonder how Ottawa reacts. If its free wheeling I can't see Sudbury surviving the onslaught. Hope its a good series, OHL fans know Sudbury fans deserve this.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The key to this series is the Pilons. If they get silly and spend too much time in the penalty box then this will be over quickly. If they can prod the bear and keep it on the edge - 67's spend time in the box. PP time for Ottawa has to be kept to a minimum. I think Ottawa gets this one but it depends on the Pilons how quickly that happens.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think if you look at it logically, if you take UPL out of the net and put in an above average goalie, say Jones from Peterborough, this is probably over in four games.

So the question is whether UPL is good enough to win four games?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Man the speculation :) It’s like trying to predict the weather, a very inexact science. I wonder though if you’ve truly seen the Wolves enough to say it would likely be a sweep without Ukko (but still an above average goalie, just as I really can’t say I’ve seen the 67’s that much. Are the 67’s that good? Maybe but I don’t know, the Bulldogs hung in a few games. Tell you one thing, from the talk on here and on the Ottawa board I’m expecting nothing less than a juggernaut of a team. We shall see.
Friday night “the talking ends” and hopefully the 67’s will have “another thing coming. A little Priest reference there for ya. :cool:

Reactions: OMG67

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Felhaber has to play better get more engaged and start taking the puck tot he net. Hoefenmier needs to not play like he is brain dead, which for him is very difficult at times they will need both of these things to happen for them to win.

Chmelevski will also have to outplay Byfield head to head. Those are the key points for the 67's in my opinon.

Yeah agreed for the most part.

I didn't really have any issues with Hoef in round 1, thought he was good for the most part.

Felhaber I agree, has to drive better, he was settling for shooting from the outside way too much against Hamilton. Especially against UPL, he won't be scoring from long range shots.

I do find that Chmelevski is the x factor for the team, if he is on, they are extremely tough to beat.

It really is a fascinating matchup, I agree with most that there should be a few OT games in this series. Will be hard fought and great hockey to watch.

I've got my tickets for Game 2, will be there with the kids! Go 67's!

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think if you look at it logically, if you take UPL out of the net and put in an above average goalie, say Jones from Peterborough, this is probably over in four games.

So the question is whether UPL is good enough to win four games?
I am a 67's fan too and hope they do well but i think you are grossly underestimating Sudbury. They are a team that works very hard and has a ton of elite young talent that is getting better every game.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just to clarify - UPL vs DiPietro is not a one sided advantage. I have a preference for DiPietro, but acknowledge we are talking about a very slight advantage in one direction or the other. These are the top 2 goalies in the league in my opinion - both capable of winning a series on their own. Either way I'm hoping for a good series. If the Wolves muck it up I wonder how Ottawa reacts. If its free wheeling I can't see Sudbury surviving the onslaught. Hope its a good series, OHL fans know Sudbury fans deserve this.
Both organizations have had a tough go i am not sure either fanbase 'deserves' it more than the other.

Reactions: WolvesFan

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Both organizations have had a tough go i am not sure either fanbase 'deserves' it more than the other.
Sudbury's fanbase 100% deserves it more. We've gone through so much more crap then you guys have had to endure, it isn't close

Reactions: LR8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Let me c
Man the speculation :) It’s like trying to predict the weather, a very inexact science. I wonder though if you’ve truly seen the Wolves enough to say it would likely be a sweep without Ukko (but still an above average goalie, just as I really can’t say I’ve seen the 67’s that much. Are the 67’s that good? Maybe but I don’t know, the Bulldogs hung in a few games. Tell you one thing, from the talk on here and on the Ottawa board I’m expecting nothing less than a juggernaut of a team. We shall see.
Friday night “the talking ends” and hopefully the 67’s will have “another thing coming. A little Priest reference there for ya. :cool:

Let me clarify.

The top tier goalies like UPL, DiPietro, Andree, Keyser, and Villata are worth 5-10 games above replacement (borrowing a term from baseball WAR).

A guy like UPL will have been a significant difference maker in man of your one goal wins, whereas an average goalie would have taken that game to OT or SO or maybe even lost it.

You had an 11 game advantage on Mississauga and easily swept them. If you pull UPL off the Wolves roster and replace him with a league average goalie, you’d have somewhere between 5 and 10 less wins, translated into about 15 points or so. That puts you in the Steelheads range.

The Wolves jsut swept the Steelheads. Ottawa would have had a seriously significant advantage over the Steelheads and would have a seriously significant advantage against Sudbury without UPL.

This isn’t an insult to the Wolves but if we are being real, if you were to pull UPL from the Wolves lineup for this series, I don’t think it would be close. Ottawa has shredded average goalies all year. Sudbury doesn’t have depth of scoring and doesn’t particularly have depth of defense.

This series will completely come down to goaltending. UPL needs to stand on his head and DiPietro needs to be very average or even below average.

UPL scares the crap out of me, for sure. HE did it with Finland at New Year’s. He can do it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad