1 on 1 stick position as D man

College Cage Hang

Apr 23, 2012
your a d man, winger is coming down 1 on 1 and is about to enter the o-zone closer to the boards

you are positioned between the winger and the middle, but the winger has enough space between you and the boards to pass you without contact

you have a gap that is longer then a stick

where do you want your stick to be placed?

1) between the winger and the middle - to force im to stay up the boards and outside?

2) between you and the boards - to force him to cut back into the middle into help?

3) pointed at the winger to poke as the gap closes - giving him a 2 way go?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Assuming it's just one-on-one and I don't have to worry about a trailer or second guy, I would skate closer to his side and keep my stick in front of me, trying to corral him towards the boards. It's much, much less likely that he will score from the boards vs the middle. If he tries to cut to the middle, I'll usually try and sweep at the puck while still skating. Close up the gap but make sure he won't burn you by either cutting to the middle or burning past. In other words, try to match his speed somewhat and be ready to make adjustments.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
I'll chime in as a goalie.

Keep him to the outside and take away his ability to cut into the middle or make play out to the middle.

95% of the shots from the outside were going to get.

Keep the stick close to him to pressure, but focus on keeping the middle clear.

NoAnglJustDangl

Nov 7, 2012
If you are on par with his skating ability and can keep up with him try holding your stick hand farther back.
It gives the appearance that he has more space than he actually does.
He'll move in a little bit closer to make a move on you and when he does you have a longer reach than it appears.
Plus you don't have to reach or lean forward to poke check which makes you lose speed.
It helps you maintain your speed and if you miss the poke check you arent burnt because he's still in front of you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad