GDT: #1|NJD's@Pen's|Wicked Puppets Trying To Break The Silence|10/3-7:00PM(CEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That 4th line is the worst 4th line in the league. I remember having a dominant bottom 6. Not anymore.

I believe the correct pronunciation is "Da werss fort line in dah leeg! Two terds of da line dohn care!"

For Bylsma, the try-hard guys will always get the nod over the young guys with pedigree.

I'm all for holding Bylsma to harsh standards this year (and he obviously has a jones for talentless hacks like Glass -- and I do believe it's because they remind him of himself and he wants to "do right by them" and give them a shot just as he was given a shot), but the Bennett situation and to a lesser degree the Elmer situation (last year) proves the bias against young guys is not necessarily the case.

What I can figure is that Bylsma gives young players a short leash... if they impress, he continues to let them play. If they struggle, they're gone after a couple games. We've seen it play out both ways.

Bennett and Elmer getting substantial numbers of games, Tangradi and Strait not getting them. The obvious difference is that Bennett and Elmer both made strong impacts during their early games, in Bennett's case pretty much immediately. Tangradi struggled almost every game he played at this level. Is what it is. THere's not hand-holding and back-patting in the NHL when you're gunning for a Cup. You either perform or someone else will. The problem starts when the someone else is Tanner Glass (at least Adams has done good things on the PK, etc).

He'll go through that cycle two or three times, and if at the end the young guys continue to struggle, they go back to WBS and sometimes get traded / waived. That's life in the NHL. You have to make your mark early or you risk getting passed over.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Looks like Jagr has been replaced with Recchi on the Ring of Honor in the locker room.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm all for holding Bylsma to harsh standards this year (and he obviously has a jones for talentless hacks like Glass -- and I do believe it's because they remind him of himself and he wants to "do right by them" and give them a shot just as he was given a shot), but the Bennett situation and to a lesser degree the Elmer situation (last year) proves the bias against young guys is not necessarily the case.

What I can figure is that Bylsma gives young players a short leash... if they impress, he continues to let them play. If they struggle, they're gone after a couple games. We've seen it play out both ways.

Bennett and Elmer getting substantial numbers of games, Tangradi and Strait not getting them. The obvious difference is that Bennett and Elmer both made strong impacts during their early games, in Bennett's case pretty much immediately. Tangradi struggled almost every game he played at this level. Is what it is. THere's not hand-holding and back-patting in the NHL when you're gunning for a Cup. You either perform or someone else will. The problem starts when the someone else is Tanner Glass (at least Adams has done good things on the PK, etc).

He'll go through that cycle two or three times, and if at the end the young guys continue to struggle, they go back to WBS and sometimes get traded / waived. That's life in the NHL. You have to make your mark early or you risk getting passed over.

I'd be more accepting of that if he did it with everyone, but Glass and Niskanen hang around even when they suck and there are better options. If it's equal treatment then go for it, but Bylsma's dumbass bias comes in; it's not people earning their spot. I do think there's a bias, even if it's just favourtism of his hims. It's probably messing with the young guys' heads to a degree. I also find him unwilling to go through growing pains to an extent, sometimes people need to struggle to improve; Despres. There's a line and I think his isn't fair. Part of it might just be a refusal to break up what he thinks works so anyone on the outside gets judged more harshly, which is still a bias.

I tend to think the further you get away from Bylsma the worse he is, the more like him the better he likes the player.
Old, talentless, no upside, American = love
Young, skilled, European = hate

Who do we think will get injured in this game?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I believe the correct pronunciation is "Da werss fort line in dah leeg! Two terds of da line dohn care!"

I disagree. Last year proves exactly how little he'll ever give young kids a chance.

to whit: Bennett played well with Malkin and Neal. He was the first player that had success there. The Pens rewarded him by trading for enough people that they could eventually move him to the place Bylsma wanted him most.

The Press Box.

Simon Despres started out looking amazing. Hell, after the first month of the season, people were saying TOP-2 OR BUST.

Then Bylsma started rotating Bortuzzo/Despres/Engelland (why the 3rd-pair wasn't Bortuzzo/Despres the entire year is beyond me), and the mistakes started.

Then the Mark Eaton thing.

By the end of the season, Despres was playing patty cake with Bennett while the useless old ****s were busy being useless and old.

Same thing this year.

Despres started out top-4.
Then top-6.
Then AHL.

Bennett started out top-6.
Now top-9.

Give it time.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I disagree. Last year proves exactly how little he'll ever give young kids a chance.

to whit: Bennett played well with Malkin and Neal. He was the first player that had success there. The Pens rewarded him by trading for enough people that they could eventually move him to the place Bylsma wanted him most.

The Press Box.

Simon Despres started out looking amazing. Hell, after the first month of the season, people were saying TOP-2 OR BUST.

Then Bylsma started rotating Bortuzzo/Despres/Engelland (why the 3rd-pair wasn't Bortuzzo/Despres the entire year is beyond me), and the mistakes started.

Then the Mark Eaton thing.

By the end of the season, Despres was playing patty cake with Bennett while the useless old ****s were busy being useless and old.

Same thing this year.

Despres started out top-4.
Then top-6.
Then AHL.

Bennett started out top-6.
Now top-9.

Give it time.

Just wait till the trade deadline.

Don't leave Jeffrey out of this either. The team has praised him in the past and they think he's talented enough to play point on the 2nd PP or fill in for Crosby/Malkin when they are hurt, yet they shaft him every chance they get. All he does is produce. Bringing in D'Agostini and Kobasew, and playing a useless Glass over him. Come on now. Its not like this team can use a versatile player like him at all given its recent injury history. Yeah let's force that kid out. He sucks anyway. Which is exactly what everybody will say when he's gone eventually this season.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I agree with most everything except the "He likes players that remind him of himself"

It's baseless and stupid.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Just wait till the trade deadline.

Don't leave Jeffrey out of this either. The team has praised him in the past and they think he's talented enough to play point on the 2nd PP or fill in for Crosby/Malkin when they are hurt, yet they shaft him every chance they get. All he does is produce. Bringing in D'Agostini and Kobasew, and playing a useless Glass over him. Come on now. Its not like this team can use a versatile player like him at all given its recent injury history. Yeah let's force that kid out. He sucks anyway. Which is exactly what everybody will say when he's gone eventually this season.

NO DUDE, DON'T YOU GET IT?

The Penguins are simultaneously UBER CUP CONTENDERS with NO TIME for young players

while also being the only team to never draft/sign/develop NHL-worthy youngsters!

Blanket excuses for ****** management, unite.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't get really wound up about the young players playing or not. I do feel pretty bad for Dustin Jeffrey sometimes though. They won't play him most of the time but they also won't let him go. He's probably going to feel like he's escaped from jail when he finally gets out of here. :laugh:

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Two goals tonight from JJ. That's all I know for sure. And excited to see our future Martin and Orpik in the Maatta and Bort pairing.

Take #1- Sarcastic/pessimistic Jaromir Jagr will score on us.

Take #2- Optimistic Jussi Jokinen will net two for the good guys.

Just sayin...........

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't get really wound up about the young players playing or not. I do feel pretty bad for Dustin Jeffrey sometimes though. They won't play him most of the time but they also won't let him go. He's probably going to feel like he's escaped from jail when he finally gets out of here. :laugh:

Eh I don't really get wound up about it anymore. I realize my post sounds otherwise. It is what it is. Just voicing my opinion.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
He's probably going to feel like he's escaped from jail when he finally gets out of here. :laugh:

jesse.gif

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Despres not being on the pens roster has nothing to do with DB not wanting to play young players, Despres got beat out by a 19 year old kid to start the season, Bortuzzo a 24 year old with very little NHL experience beat out a 31 year old vet to play in the top 6.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I DON'T GET WOUND UP ABOUT IT EITHER.

I just stay in this state 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad