GDT: #1 NJ Devils at Pittsburgh Penguins, 7pm, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just looking ahead here, but do we expect a full 4th line swap for home opener? IE? Olesz, JJ Ted's in for CBGB?

JMarce

Feb 4, 2012
Harrold over Fayne is bad but I'm gonna be pulling my hair out while Gio is on the PK and Josefson is in the press box.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
what's with the groupthink that Gionta should sit?

I agree with him being in the lineup, love the continuity of the CBGB line to start the season

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Harrold over Fayne is bad but I'm gonna be pulling my hair out while Gio is on the PK and Josefson is in the press box.

Can't you just wait for when he tries to use his stick to block a Crosby shot tonight? Based on the PK alone, Josefson should play.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
what's with the groupthink that Gionta should sit?

I agree with him being in the lineup, love the continuity of the CBGB line to start the season

I think the consensus is that JJ is the better player.

I tend to like Gio more then some, but I'd still rather see JJ.

But it is one game.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
Gionta is not one of the 12 best forwards on the roster.

therefore, he shouldn't be playing.

You dont play your absolute top 12 forwards basically ever. We have no one else on the team who is a pure energy guy willing to throw his body around and be physical against other teams top 2 lines.

There is a reason he is on the 4th line and there is a reason that goons are still playing this game. Its not all about pure skill no matter how much people want it to be for easy analysis.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007

If he is the best fit on the fourth line out of all the possible options, he should play. I'm not saying he is, but picking the 12 best individuals isn't always the best choice.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

So ridiculous .. we have 4 games in the next 5 days and 12 games in 27 days in October ...Half of the roster is old.

Therefore EVERYONE is going to be playing.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
You dont play your absolute top 12 forwards basically ever. We have no one else on the team who is a pure energy guy willing to throw his body around and be physical against other teams top 2 lines.

There is a reason he is on the 4th line and there is a reason that goons are still playing this game. Its not all about pure skill no matter how much people want it to be for easy analysis.

that wouldn't be an issue- if his minutes are limited and he's only used for "energy."

Deboer puts him out on the Pk where he is a clear liability. It's not worth it. Last year when the Devils had **** depth, he would put him out in the dying secs of games- one awful night in Tampa rings a bell.

Josefson should be in.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I'm legitimately confused as to why people are arguing that Gio is in the lineup. Him and Josefson would have the same impact playing on the 4th line.

You guys are reacting like this is going to break the team.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I'm legitimately confused as to why people are arguing that Gio is in the lineup. Him and Josefson would have the same impact playing on the 4th line.

You guys are reacting like this is going to break the team.

Gionta is incapable of playing special teams. You're essentially carrying a guy who can only play ES minutes.

Josefson is a superior two-way player.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So ridiculous .. we have 4 games in the next 5 days and 12 games in 27 days in October ...Half of the roster is old.

Therefore EVERYONE is going to be playing.

Also we haven't even played game 1 of a full 82 game season. So to reiterate. Everyone will be playing.

Again, I'll believe this when I see it. Gionta played every single game last year, and Harrold more or less played every game in the second half. If DeBoer uses the lineup circa Lemaire 1995 then wonderful. If he's going to stick with his guys come h*** or high water then that's something else.

They may wind up playing for the old guys when the old guys get hurt, but in the meantime I don't think DeBo will be shuttling guys in and out the way most people think.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Again, I'll believe this when I see it. Gionta played every single game last year, and Harrold more or less played every game in the second half. If DeBoer uses the lineup circa Lemaire 1995 then wonderful. If he's going to stick with his guys come h*** or high water then that's something else.

They may wind up playing for the old guys when the old guys get hurt, but in the meantime I don't think DeBo will be shuttling guys in and out the way most people think.

Using last year is a horrible example. Our forward depth was absolute garbage.

Defense, though, we know how poorly the 8 man defense was used already. That was doomed from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad