Post-Game Talk: #1| New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | May 16th | 12:00 PM | F/OTW 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Actually thought Barzal was ok today, he was safer with puck and created a good chance in OT. He will be fine and going to produce if this team goes on any type of run like last year.
We saw 2 instances of Barzal driving to the net and making something happen. This is the way he has to play. He is strong enough to drag a defender along with him and still get a shot off.

Gonna have to give the Pens credit. For the first 2 periods they were able to play our smothering brand of defense. They game us very little room to work in the O zone. I didn’t see that out of them much in the regular season against us.

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
I find it hilarious that the Pens supporters _always_ blame their goalie when they lose against the Isles.

Today the Isles scored on three awesome snipes... let’s blame the goalie. Like... hello?
C'mon, they were not awesome snipes, not the first three anyway. They were pretty weak goals for an NHL goalie to give up, particularly in a playoff game. Put another way, would you have been in a forgiving mood if WW or Varly had given them up?

Jarry looked nervous in net the whole game whereas Sorokin looked pretty cool. KHL experience I'm guessing for the latter. Be nice if it stays that way.

Last edited:

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
what an effort by the guys. They really know how to turn things up for playoffs. now worst case we go into 2 games at the barn 1-1, hopefully 2-0.

Jarry is beyond beatable, guy isnt very good. just keep putting pucks on him and they're ours.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I dont know if anyone noticed but on our powerplay they kept real close to Wally at all times.

If Leddy or whoever is on the point make quick passes with Bailey it will open up either person in the slot or an easy one timer for Bailey.

The problem is Bailey doesn't do one timers and Leddy and/or Bailey don't pass very quickly.
Yes. If they’re shadowing Wahlstrom someone else is open. We have to be quick to pass to that guy and we’re just not good enough with the puck to do that.

Reactions: periferal

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
upload_2021-5-16_17-16-17.png

This face is oddly familiar, but I very much like this guy better right now

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thought about this on my drive for fresh air. We are still in lock down here so really not much to do unless you are buying food and taking walks.

This is going to be a series of subtle adjustments.

If Pageau's line continues to sting the Pens. Expect to see Letang and Dumoulin out against them.

Mentioned earlier that though Barzal was quiet for most in game 1 until OT. His line got the #1 D pairing attention. It may shift as this series moves on, meaning if it does, Barzal's line has to make them pay. I thought Leo was the best player on the line today, obviously this cannot continue. It's got to be Barzal and sleepy Eberle. But atleast they were not a minus on the day.

Game of adjustments for those that like the strategy of the game as I do. It is easy to focus on only the shiny stuff, to me it's about little investments, match ups, drawing tough match ups for the betterment of the team.

I would also like to say if Sorokin did not make some key saves, the Isles do not make it to OT. Lots of payments still need to be made to win this series. I won't be comfortable until game 4 is won and triple zeros are on the clock.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Sorokin still scares the crap out of me at times. Crosby almost beat him on a surprise short angler with about 1:30 left and Carter nearly beat him along the goal line in OT. You can tell the Pens have a scouting report that he tends to pull off the post because they kept taking those shots alot. He also for some reason seems to not react or even bother sliding over on shots he knows are going to miss the net. The problem with that is if those shots hit something they could deflect in, I have no idea why he just watches them slide to the corner. Jarry the 1st and 3rd goal were bad. Pageau's goal is not a bad goal if the shot crosses closer to Jarry's head but he had a bead on that with the glove and simply misread it.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
C'mon, they were not awesome snipes, not the first three anyway. They were pretty weak goals for an NHL goalie to give up, particularly in a playoff game. Put another way, would you have been in a forgiving mood if WW or Varly had given them up?

Jarry looked nervous in net the whole game whereas Sorokin looked pretty cool. KHL experience I'm guessing for the latter. Be nice if it stays that way.

I believe the first, second and the fourth goal are beautiful placements. Jarry is going down on his knees all the time and the Isles has obviously done their homework and they’re trying to shoot in the upper corners when possible. The third goal is soft though, but Jarry is screened by Letang.

People are talking like Jarry is some kind of AHL caliber goalie, but the Pens supporters tend to always blame their goalie when they don’t win. They just won the division, and their defensive core isn’t that strong on paper. So he has obviously done something right.

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
I believe the first, second and fourth goal are beautiful placements. Jarry is going down on his knees all the time and the Isles has obviously done their homework and they’re trying to shoot in the upper corners when possible. The third goal is soft though, but Jarry is screened by Letang.
Regardless of how well placed the shots were, Jarry had plenty of time to react to them and just didn't. On Palm's first and Pageau's he looked like he was actually ducking. Not good. Well, good for us.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You gotta think by October 2022 there is no way Leddy and Mayfield are still here. Leddy is a liability in the postseason which is why Quenneville tired of him in Chicago. Mayfield I have to think Bolduc/Wilde or someone else replaces him

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
You gotta think by October 2022 there is no way Leddy and Mayfield are still here. Leddy is a liability in the postseason which is why Quenneville tired of him in Chicago. Mayfield I have to think Bolduc/Wilde or someone else replaces him
We know what BT thinks. Wonder what Lou thinks?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
In defense of Jarry, Brock had a pretty sneaky release on his goal where he pulled the puck in towards himself to change the angle a bit and then shot through the screen. Still shouldn't have let it leak through though.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
In defense of Jarry, Brock had a pretty sneaky release on his goal where he pulled the puck in towards himself to change the angle a bit and then shot through the screen. Still shouldn't have let it leak through though.
It almost went ten hole

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
looking forward to game 2. will be interesting to see what adjustments the pens make to their roster. I assume we will be seeing Jarry again

PeteRFNY

Apr 9, 2007
Clinton, NJ
rfny.hankhayes.com
My missus brought the mojo today. We bailed on a family thing hoping to catch some of the game. We got back to the hotel expecting the game to be over, turned on the TV and Palmieri scored 10 seconds later. Managed to avoid the agita and in the process.

Reactions: MJF

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Definitely a shout out to the refs for this one too. I felt they called only obvious stuff and let some things go that would have been tick tacky. The bad miss was that Barzal OT chance but it seemed they had no intention of ever calling anything in OT

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Sorokin looked very calm. It seemed that way from the start.

Mayfield so bad.

Dobson and Wahlstrom looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad