GDT: #1| New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | October 4th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 2-1

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
How exactly are we replacing JT"s points?

I don't expect Barzal to equal last years production-- our opponents top line will now be focused on him, and his line alone. The rest of the 3rd liners on the team really aren't a threat.

And.. since your listening..

How exactly are we doing on D, with Hickey and Sbizzza logging solid minutes?

Can we count on Lehner?

They won’t replace all of his points, but they can cut down their goals against.

As someone mentioned above, Barzal will get more ice time to offset an increase in competition faced.

Beauvillier and Pulock have the potential to take steps forward, and the powerplay has a lot of weapons still and may actually improve (Bailey seems better on the right half wall).

If you can get Toews/Bellows/Ho-Sang up for half a season that may boost some numbers.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I have been thinking it more and more recently, but if Gross' feeling today that the team is going with Greiss as the starting goalie to begin the season then there is no longer any doubt that this team is tanking the whole season. How do you begin a season with statistically the worst goalie in the entire NHL from last year as your starting goalie and actually making the claim with a straight face that you are trying to win.

I thought we were upgrading on Halak. Going to his inferior backup is hardly an upgrade.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
They won’t replace all of his points, but they can cut down their goals against.

As someone mentioned above, Barzal will get more ice time to offset an increase in competition faced.

Beauvillier and Pulock have the potential to take steps forward, and the powerplay has a lot of weapons still and may actually improve (Bailey seems better on the right half wall).

If you can get Toews/Bellows/Ho-Sang up for half a season that may boost some numbers.

I refuse to raise my expectations of this team, this year. The only thing we have going for us, is that the GA has to go down.

Has to.

right?

Reactions: seafoam

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Anyone still here is an idiot
the-rise-and-rise-of-hcps-social-networks-focus-on-gcc-region-35-638.jpg

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I have been thinking it more and more recently, but if Gross' feeling today that the team is going with Greiss as the starting goalie to begin the season then there is no longer any doubt that this team is tanking the whole season. How do you begin a season with statistically the worst goalie in the entire NHL from last year as your starting goalie and actually making the claim with a straight face that you are trying to win.

I thought we were upgrading on Halak. Going to his inferior backup is hardly an upgrade.

Next thing you know they'll send Fritz down to the AHL!

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017

I assume they are using Lehner for the home opener.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
:help::help: I just vomited all over my desk at the Defensive pairings

Pelech - Pulock
Hickey - Leddy
Sbisa - Boychuk

These are probably the worst possible combinations in the worst possible order you can have with these 6 players.

I don't even know what to say to that last pairing except.....maybe Boychuk's new knee is bionic?

Reactions: PuckItUp27

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017

I don't expect Barzal to equal last years production-- our opponents top line will now be focused on him, and his line alone. The rest of the 3rd liners on the team really aren't a threat.

Can we count on Lehner?

Disclaimer: What I did below is completely rushed and makes a lot of estimates and assumptions. It also does not really take into account # of games played last year by the players listed which could affect the results in either a positive or negative way. This is by no means meant to be analytical or completely accurate mathematically. I am bored at work and giving a rough estimate of how we already replaced JT's points.

Tavares - 84 points last year.

Here we go:

Last year we had Wagner(1pt), Johnston(6pts), Davidson(2pts), Quine(3pts), and Prince(2pts) taking up spots on our 3rd/4th/Def lines. They are all gone and replaced except for Johnston who is not in our top 12. Total: 12 points

We now have replaced those players with Komarov(19pts), Filppula(33pts), (Sbisa 14pts), and Martin(19pts last time on Isles with same line) essentially and roughly replacing those guys. Total: 85 points

Now assume Beau(36pts) and Pulock(32pts) improve by 20%: Beau(43pts) and Pulock (38pts). Personally I think Pulock will get close to 50 but for the sake of this rough numbers game we'll say 20%

Adding Beau and Pulock's extra 20% to the 85 points above gives us 98 points.

Now we take the 98 points from the new guys and subtract the 12 points from the old guys and we get 86 points.

Those 86 points minus JT's 84 points give us a +2 pts total. That is how we replaced JT's points.

Yes i'm bored and yes this is not totally accurate. But people are forgetting how ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC our bottom 6 was last year compared to this season.

Edit: This was without mentioning the expected reduction in Goals Allowed this upcoming season which has an even greater effect on the replacement of JT's points and leaves even more wiggle room with the numbers above.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Disclaimer: What I did below is completely rushed and makes a lot of estimates and assumptions. It also does not really take into account # of games played last year by the players listed which could affect the results in either a positive or negative way. This is by no means meant to be analytical or completely accurate mathematically. I am bored at work and giving a rough estimate of how we already replaced JT's points.

Here we go:

Last year we had Wagner(1pt), Johnston(6pts), Davidson(2pts), Quine(3pts), and Prince(2pts) taking up spots on our 3rd/4th/Def lines. They are all gone and replaced except for Johnston who is not in our top 12. Total: 12 points

We now have replaced those players with Komarov(19pts), Filppula(33pts), (Sbisa 14pts), and Martin(19pts last time on Isles with same line) essentially and roughly replacing those guys. Total: 85 points

Now assume Beau(36pts) and Pulock(32pts) improve by 20%: Beau(43pts) and Pulock (38pts). Personally I think Pulock will get close to 50 but for the sake of this rough numbers game we'll say 20%

Now we take the 98 points from the new guys and subtract the 12 points from the old guys and we get 86 points.

Those 86 points minus JT's 84 points give us a +2 pts total. That is how we replaced JT's points.

Yes i'm bored and yes this is not totally accurate. But people are forgetting how ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC our bottom 6 was last year compared to this season.

Edit: This was without mentioning the expected reduction in Goals Allowed this upcoming season which has an even greater effect on the replacement of JT's points and leaves even more wiggle room with the numbers above.

upload_2018-10-3_13-46-22.png

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Here we go:

Broadway Jay would be all over this. Rip to it pieces, tell you that you are wrong, but like the post.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Can we count on Lehner?

I don't think JT's point matter because the bigger problem for this team was giving up goals, we will scored 40-60 goals less this year but give up 80-100 less, we are properly coaches for the first time since Arbour was in place, Lavvy wasn't good yet with us.

Barzal will get 70 points....

I don't like Lehner much I feel that we will be in the running and make the deal for the goalie at the deadline and send Greiss back the other way so Lehner can back up the new goalie

I always have like Sbisa, he isn't perfect but somehow played a lot for a team that made the cup the previous year.

Hickey is pretty good, and with Trotz coaching he will reduce bad decisions

These are the not so bold predictions for the team

Pulock will get 60 points, maybe bolder than I thought
Beau will get 30 goals.
Pelech will become very good
Cizikas will graduate to 3rd line center alas, he is going to be a bigger surprise this year
Fritz could gain some confidence

Lee won't get 40 goals for sure
Bailey won't get 50 points for sure
Leddy and Boychuk could downturn
Nelson could improve but probably won't
Ladd will be a ghost

If you told me in March 2018 that this was the trade

Trotz and Komarov for Weight and Tavares, I could see that the positive would outweigh the negative

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Greiss really isn't to blame for how bad he was, all the goalies were bad, and so would Holtby and Quick if they faced 50 shots a night LOL

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Here we go:

This is very spot on, but remember that this team's problem was systemic last year and we allowed too many shots on goal, we won't need to replace JT's points to get better,

The X factor on this team is Adam Pelech, if he can become Hamonic now that he wears #3, then we should see a solid season

Reactions: PuckItUp27

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
let's not forget that JT was not good defensively. he was essentially a net 0 player, so i am not so down. in fact, i'd rather see a more balanced team, than one so top heavy.

if we install a guy in JT's place that gets 50 points, and is a solid defensive player (say +10 to +15), are we really much worse off? (assuming that we become much better defensively).

for the 1st time in a while, i feel like we have a legit top 6. well... 5. i don't put Nelson in there, but i am confident that either Bellows or JHS will be top 6 worthy, real soon. and maybe even Wahlstrom by next year?

i don't see the impending collapse that others see. i think chances are 50/50 that our goalies step up and takes us to the postseason. i expect lots of changes this year.

kick Cane butt!!

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I still can't believe he had a winning record last year. It's like a starting pitcher with an ERA over 5.00 winning 15+ games.

The Poor judgement is alittle concerning... Kovar and bellows ok fine. Tanner fritz making the team fine. Greiss as the starter... I don’t know. Doesn’t seem like they’re trying to win

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I don't think JT's point matter because the bigger problem for this team was giving up goals, we will scored 40-60 goals less this year but give up 80-100 less, we are properly coaches for the first time since Arbour was in place, Lavvy wasn't good yet with us.

Barzal will get 70 points....

I don't like Lehner much I feel that we will be in the running and make the deal for the goalie at the deadline and send Greiss back the other way so Lehner can back up the new goalie

I always have like Sbisa, he isn't perfect but somehow played a lot for a team that made the cup the previous year.

Hickey is pretty good, and with Trotz coaching he will reduce bad decisions

These are the not so bold predictions for the team

Pulock will get 60 points, maybe bolder than I thought
Beau will get 30 goals.
Pelech will become very good
Cizikas will graduate to 3rd line center alas, he is going to be a bigger surprise this year
Fritz could gain some confidence

Lee won't get 40 goals for sure
Bailey won't get 50 points for sure
Leddy and Boychuk could downturn
Nelson could improve but probably won't
Ladd will be a ghost

If you told me in March 2018 that this was the trade

Trotz and Komarov for Weight and Tavares, I could see that the positive would outweigh the negative
Where do these predictions come from? 60 points for Pulock? Bailey could certainly hit 50(and I am one of his biggest detractors) if his one timer is close to the one he unleashed on the PP this preseason-finally hitting 20 goals. Lee had 5 goals preseason, a fluke?
Hopefully Lou makes some good moves when he unloads the players he does not want, getting us a goalie(or two) and setting up for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad