1 minute left in the game... which 5 Canadian players do you put on the ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend*

Oh, I'm sorry... your team is down by 1 goal.

Make up a 6th attacker, as well.

My 6th would likely be Joe Thornton.

Phanuthier*

What you said, and my 6th attacker would be St Louis.

If you're down a goal with a minute left, you want guys that can find pucks, be in the right place at the right time, and bury their chances.

Close 2nd goes to Kariya, followed by Richards for me.

Hitman*

Jarome Iginla
Joe Sakic
Dany Heatley
Rob Blake
Scott Niedermayer
Martin St.Louis

joe_shannon_1983*

You would also want a guy who could win a faceoff for you.

Sakic is pretty good on the draws.

Therefore:

LW: Lemieux
C: Sakic
RW: Iginla
D: Blake
D: Niedermayer
EA: Joe Thornton

I picked this roster as I think having 2 solid and big board/corner presences (Iginla and Thornton) are beneficial because if the puck gets trapped in the corner you don't want the other team winning the battles or else it is game over.

I would have Iginla parked in the right low slot area, and Thornton in the left low slot area. I would want them to screen the other teams goalie, and to knock away at rebounds. They are each also responsible for going after the pucks in the corners of their respective sides of the rink.

I would then have Sakic skating around the high slot, getting ready to unleash one-timers.

I would have Lemieux alongside the left boards making passes.

I would have Blake and Niedermayer firing away from the point after receiving passes from Lemieux, and also have them feeding cross-ice passes to Sakic.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
jcs_1983_shannonman said:
You would also want a guy who could win a faceoff for you.

Sakic is pretty good on the draws.

Therefore:

LW: Lemieux
C: Sakic
RW: Iginla
D: Blake
D: Niedermayer
EA: Joe Thornton

I agree with all of the above, except I would use Bertuzzi as the the EA instead of Thornton. Nobody can cause chaos in front of the net like Bert. Of course, this is a moot point for the World Cup (thanks Bettman).

joe_shannon_1983*

incawg said:
I agree with all of the above, except I would use Bertuzzi as the the EA instead of Thornton. Nobody can cause chaos in front of the net like Bert. Of course, this is a moot point for the World Cup (thanks Bettman).

Of course I would take Bertuzzi if he had of been on Canada's World Cup team.

rwilson99

Best arguement to add Vincent Lecavlier to Team Canada. Two highlight reel heartstopping goals on Vienza winners in the last minute with the goalie pulled.

Against NJ in the regular season (Broduer)
Against MON in the playoffs (Theodore)

Ironchef Chris Wok*

My extra attacker would be the biggest heaviest person you can stick in front of the net. Because Bert isn't available, I'll take Joe Thornton. He also happens to be a centerman in case the first centerman doesn't win the faceoff.

One of my Pointmen will have the biggest cannon on the planet. Because Chopper isn't available, I'll take Rob Blake as the substitute.

In case the center loses the draw and the puck gets shot all the way down, I'll take Scott Neidermayer.

To make sure that doesn't happen, Sakic will be out there to take the draw. He'll also be the wrist shot option just off the top of the circle a la Markus Naslund.

I want Mario and his 3rd eye behind his head behind the net. He's going to distribute the puck.

Last guy? Toss up. If the draw is your own zone, I want Martin St. Louis. If the draw is already in the offensive end, I take Iginla.

As for up a goal in the last minute? That's a whole different story.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Last minute? Canada Up by One? Draw in your own zone?

Center - Steve Yzerman.
Say what you want about Grapes, but he's right when you want to send out TWO centerman in these kind of situations. Remember WC 96 Game 1 last minute the idiot coach doesnt' sent out the 2nd centerman?

Second Centerman - Joe Sakic

3rd Forward - I'd probably have Morrow or Doan.

This is why I hated the selection of Draper and Maltby. They are just not guys I'd have out the last minute. Maltby might do something stupid. Draper might not be big enough, and not as skilled as Yzerman and Sakic.

I wanted Peca or Madden. ARRRGGH

D - This is easy. Foote and Pronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad