#1 London vs #4 Guelph

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
After an intriguing 1st round of OHL playoffs (sarcasm intended ), round 2 is now set.

Game #1 Fri. Apr. 5 Gue @ Ldn 7:30pm
Game #2 Sun. Apr. 7 Gue @ Ldn 2pm
Game #3 Mon. Apr. 8 Ldn @ Gue 7pm
Game #4 Wed. Apr. 10 Ldn @ Gue 7pm
Game #5 Fri. Apr. 12 Gue @ Ldn 7:30*
Game #6 Sat. Apr. 13 Ldn @ Gue 7pm*
Game #7 Tues. Apr. 16 Gue @ Ldn 7pm*

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Hardest one to predict. I give the Knights the edge at home in game 7.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Taking the Storm in 6......Guelph is finally getting healthy and perhaps gelling as a team. As noted above this isn't a typical 4th seed. On paper I think they are more dynamic up front with good balance and depth and plenty of game breakers. Their backend if healthy is balanced and deep enough. In goal.......well that's the real question mark for me (as I think it is for the Knights too). Should be a great series though

Valoisir

Mar 21, 2017
As far as each team's top 6 goes I think Guelph has the edge due to their acquisitions at the deadline. As well, Formenton, Foudy, McMichael, Bouchard, and Hancock seemed to dry up down the stretch for London - though we did see them begin to find their form again against the Spits. London definitely has more depth scoring and a more solid blue line which will help in the latter games of this series, as more conservative play and closer games. I would say London has a slim advantage in goaltending. Marquis names in Raaymakers and Popovich have been hot and cold throughout the season - neither finding their best form. Kooy is a solid backup and proved he can play at a higher level in the playoffs already. That being said, I would expect London will start him for every game this series unless Guelph gets to him.
This will be the tightest series... going with London hanging on by the skin of their teeth in seven games.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As has been already stated, this Guelph team is not your traditional fourth seed. Also, Guelph won the season series 4-2 but I'm tossing seeding and season series out because neither team played with all their lineup for must of the season.

I think this will come down to goaltending. Popovich was an adventure versus Kitchener in the first round. On just about every shot on goal he served up juicy rebounds. The only thing that kept the puck out of the net was Guelph's larger experienced defence outmuscling Kitchener's smaller forwards.

I have a lot more confidence in London's forwards getting to these rebounds. That could be the difference in this series.

Also, London has a much deeper/more skilled forward corps than the Rangers did. Once you got past the first four or five top Ranger offensive players, experience and offensive output was virtually nonexistent.

Also, London has a much deeper and more skilled defensive unit. God bless them, but the Rangers got by with a couple below average OA's and mostly kids. Guelph was able to walk into the zone most times at will. They will have a lot harder time penetrating London's defense.

And of course, then there's home ice advantage. I think this will be a long series but London wins at home in game seven.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I tihnk Guelph is considerably better than London, but Popovich scares the shit out of me. Im going GUE in 6, but Popovich can lose this series for GUE

Reactions: LDN

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Guelph has a more veteran/older team. Especially their high end players. But London has equivalent quality but some are 17/18 years old.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I'm picking London in 7. If this series becomes tied at 2 games apiece, then London is playing in "bonus territory" and the pressure will dramatically shift onto Guelph. They've basically gone "all-in" at the trading deadline, as opposed to the Knights making minimal additions. It's a must win situation for Guelph, and the longer the series goes, the more pressure they'll face. London won't be in that situation, so they'll go with their game plan , and get all of the playoff experience that'll help them down the road. If Guelph doesn't advance, their future isn't rosy, for an extended period of time.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
is it a "card" though? When you look at the votes here Guelph wins by more than a 2-1 margin

Probably? I'm not sure what effect an HFB poll has on the outcome of a series.

Online gambling has the London Knights favoured (as do the statistics) so I guess if everyone expects the Knights to lose, they should all go bet on the Storm?

There is reason to believe the Storm can win this series, but the thought that they are the favourite is IMO Knight's fans already mentally bargaining in preparation for a loss. That way it's win/win for them -either London win the series (WIN) or they lose and can say "oh well, saw that coming" (WIN).

It's playoffs. It's gamesmanship. It's all good!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Online gambling has the London Knights favoured (as do the statistics) so I guess if everyone expects the Knights to lose, they should all go bet on the Storm?

There is reason to believe the Storm can win this series, but the thought that they are the favourite is IMO Knight's fans already mentally bargaining in preparation for a loss. That way it's win/win for them -either London win the series (WIN) or they lose and can say "oh well, saw that coming" (WIN).

Maybe we're just giving the Storm credit for having a deeper squad.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Guelph owned the head-to-head meetings since the deadline.

Don't care about being right on an online forum, I'd much rather see us win. Just calling my prediction.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Guelph is the favourite amongst those who follow the league. They made the most moves between the two teams at the deadline as they are in different stages of building and have the deeper team since the trade deadline. As far as gambling goes, it is about balancing the bets for the house and keeping the 10 percent vig. Probably many gamblers don't realize the difference the deadline makes for this league.

Of course it's gamesmanship, let the games off and on the ice begin.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I understand how gambling works, thank you.

My point was that since Guelph is the ODDS underdog, these Knights fans would do well to bet on them - considering the Storm are the favourite in the minds of knowledgeable OHL fans, apparently.

Odds of a Guelph series win are longer today than yesterday.....get out there betting Knights fans!

Good game last night. Cant believe they're doing a 3 in 4 in round 2.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Game 7 London 5-4 OT. Don't want to play either team but it doesn't work that way. Should be a heck of a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad