1 for 1 in next draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This better not be true. Is there any confirmation on this?

That would be very unfair to the bad teams

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
well, they are talking about it for a good 10 minutes, discussing how it's a bad/good thing or not...

ckac: Betman didnt get enough % voting for his own plan...

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
anything said about the draft or the draft lottery is 100% speculation. they don't know how it will be handled and won't know until after the cba is signed and they sit down to figure out all the transition stuff.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
NYR469 said:
anything said about the draft or the draft lottery is 100% speculation. they don't know how it will be handled and won't know until after the cba is signed and they sit down to figure out all the transition stuff.

Exactly. I think for the NHL to survive, it will be a fair agreement, though we all know alot of people will be upset. Just wait and see, I think whatever they come up with will be a great compromise...the future of the league probably rides on whoever gets Crosby.

Last edited:

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
All I can say is that no matter what the format. If a team wins the lottery and has been in the playoffs the last few years then the NHL will lose any fans that are currently on the fence about coming back to root for their teams, it will be the biggest joke in professional sports. The NHL better consider this draft and it's positional format very seriously. They are in grave danger of being extinct.

PEli*

DarthSather99 said:
If a team wins the lottery and has been in the playoffs the last few years then the NHL will lose any fans that are currently on the fence about coming back to root for their teams, it will be the biggest joke in professional sports.

Anybody that stupid would have never been smart enough to see that hockey had started again. So who cares?

Does it really matter who gets Crosby? If he lives up to the hype, he changes the game again. I don't care if he plays in Detroit. Or Philly. Or Pittsburgh. It makes no damn difference.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Bettman's plan is already a 1 of 30 draft.

The worst team and best teams are seperated by 5%.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The casual fan does not give a damn who drafts where. The only people who will be upset by a 1 to 1 formula will be bad teams and fans of bad teams. And, if their team doesn't win, fans who think the system was unfair.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
PEli said:
Anybody that stupid would have never been smart enough to see that hockey had started again. So who cares?

Does it really matter who gets Crosby? If he lives up to the hype, he changes the game again. I don't care if he plays in Detroit. Or Philly. Or Pittsburgh. It makes no damn difference.

Maybe your the stupid one. Isn't the draft, in EVERY professional sport, geared towards giving the worse teams a better chance at the better younger players? I do care if Crosby ends up on a Philly, Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas or New Jersey. I don't care if he ends up on Chicago, Columbus, Pitsburgh or the Rangers.....teams that have not made the playoffs in recent years.

If none if it really matters then why don't we just have a lottery for the draft every year with every team having an equal chance of getting the #1 pick and so on.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
PEli said:

You have totally right :clap: . I prefer to see Crosby in a big market (like Detroit, New York(even if I hate Rangers), Toronto, Philadelphia, Columbus(the hockey is very popular), Montreal, etc.) than to see him going to Nashville, Anaheim or Carolina. That's for sure it will help to have a guy like Crosby for those small market, but for how long?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
DarthSather99 said:
Maybe your the stupid one. Isn't the draft, in EVERY professional sport, geared towards giving the worse teams a better chance at the better younger players? I do care if Crosby ends up on a Philly, Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas or New Jersey. I don't care if he ends up on Chicago, Columbus, Pitsburgh or the Rangers.....teams that have not made the playoffs in recent years.

If none if it really matters then why don't we just have a lottery for the draft every year with every team having an equal chance of getting the #1 pick and so on.

First off, casual fans don't give a rat's ass about the draft. The league won't lose one fan from doing this.

Yes, every draft is geared toward giving the worst teams a better chance at the younger players. But this isn't a case where the NHL is throwing out last year's standings for some random formula. There was no season. There's no way to know who the best and worst teams would be. Everyone had the same record. Plus the lockout and salary cap will turn the league's standings upside down, and what's happened before has little relevance.

Giving teams two high picks for one poor finish and two low picks for one good finish is ridiculous. After a non-season, tossing everyone's name in a bin and giving everyone an equal chance is the fairest way to do things.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
NYRangers said:
Bettman's plan is already a 1 of 30 draft.

The worst team and best teams are seperated by 5%.

i mean with egal chances. At least, it's what was said on there. But they have been wrong in the past... If it's true, it should comes out in some other media in the next hours/days.

edit: somewhat false to think we wont know until after the cba is done, 1 could think that this is the kind of stuff that WILL be included in the next deal imo.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anksun said:
i mean with egal chances. At least, it's what was said on there. But they have been wrong in the past... If it's true, it should comes out in some other media in the next hours/days.

edit: somewhat false to think we wont know until after the cba is done, 1 could think that this is the kind of stuff that WILL be included in the next deal imo.

there won't be anything in the cba about this lottery because this year will be a one time exception without a season. the cba will include the guidelines for all future lotterys after this one (whether it changes or not).

and they will most likely have these things worked out before they announce the cba is announced, but they aren't going to waste their time worrying about who gets to draft crosby if they don't even know when the draft will be held. that will be the final part of negotiations, after the cba is in place and the return of hockey has a date they will figure out the draft, free agency, etc for this year

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
MS said:
First off, casual fans don't give a rat's ass about the draft. The league won't lose one fan from doing this.

Yes, every draft is geared toward giving the worst teams a better chance at the younger players. But this isn't a case where the NHL is throwing out last year's standings for some random formula. There was no season. There's no way to know who the best and worst teams would be. Everyone had the same record. Plus the lockout and salary cap will turn the league's standings upside down, and what's happened before has little relevance.

Giving teams two high picks for one poor finish and two low picks for one good finish is ridiculous. After a non-season, tossing everyone's name in a bin and giving everyone an equal chance is the fairest way to do things.

First off, most teams will retain the core of their players. Alot of the better players were signed through the lockout. Is Martin Brodeur going to be playing for Columbus next year? Every player isn't a free agent, much of the CBA agreement will say who is and who isn't. I'm not saying they should have exactly the same draft order as the last draft. I think a weighted lottery based on the last four years is the better way. Chicago isn't going to come out of this as the best team in hockey. Tampa Bay isn't going to come out of this as the worst team. There will be major changes but the better teams will still be the better teams and the bad teams will still be bad teams.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Anksun said:
From ckac radio right now:

Every team will have 1 chance out of 30...

Not sure if that have been post yet?

I hope it is true. The 3-4 year thing was arbitrary for teams hitting their downswing this year. Plus, it would make draft day very interesting. I'd rather see Crosby go to a big market than see a small market (CLB, PIT, ATL) stockpile the league's future-undeservedly.

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
DarthSather99 said:
First off, most teams will retain the core of their players. Alot of the better players were signed through the lockout. Is Martin Brodeur going to be playing for Columbus next year? Every player isn't a free agent, much of the CBA agreement will say who is and who isn't. I'm not saying they should have exactly the same draft order as the last draft. I think a weighted lottery based on the last four years is the better way. Chicago isn't going to come out of this as the best team in hockey. Tampa Bay isn't going to come out of this as the worst team. There will be major changes but the better teams will still be the better teams and the bad teams will still be bad teams.

Agreed, I think a lottery based on the last 4 years is better then a lottery based on the last season played.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
i still don't understand why there must be a draft this year. There is nothing to base this years draft off of so why hold a draft at all? Holding a draft this year (whether based on weighted or 1 to 1 lottery) is just going to screw over alot of teams.

PEli*

DarthSather99 said:

You know the answers to all of the questions and half assed sentences you thought up. However, I've got the five minutes to respond to it all.

1. I'm not the stupid one.
2. Yes. Drafts are for rewarding the worst teams by giving them an oppertunity to better themselves. However. How do you reward a crappy team for not playing a season? Simple, by your logic. Penalize everybody else.
3. Why doesn't every team get an equal shot at the #1? The teams generally play games to decide who sucks and who doesn't.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
PEli said:
You know the answers to all of the questions and half assed sentences you thought up. However, I've got the five minutes to respond to it all.

1. I'm not the stupid one.
2. Yes. Drafts are for rewarding the worst teams by giving them an oppertunity to better themselves. However. How do you reward a crappy team for not playing a season? Simple, by your logic. Penalize everybody else.
3. Why doesn't every team get an equal shot at the #1? The teams generally play games to decide who sucks and who doesn't.

So, let me get this straight. You think that every team in the NHL at this point is EXACTLY even? just because a season wasn't played. Even when you take into consideration the core players that are signed with their teams into the lockout and beyond? Also, those players that will be considered restricted free agents and will probably have no choice but re-up with their pre-lockout team. If the NHL declares that ALL players are declared free agents then I'll agree with you but that is not how it is going to be.

How is a weighted lottery rewarding/hurting a team? there is little difference in a 6% chance and a 1% chance basing it on a four year average of how teams finished. It is still a system of chance in which every team has a shot at getting #1.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
NYR469 said:
there won't be anything in the cba about this lottery because this year will be a one time exception without a season. the cba will include the guidelines for all future lotterys after this one (whether it changes or not).

and they will most likely have these things worked out before they announce the cba is announced, but they aren't going to waste their time worrying about who gets to draft crosby if they don't even know when the draft will be held. that will be the final part of negotiations, after the cba is in place and the return of hockey has a date they will figure out the draft, free agency, etc for this year

No, it will have to be included in the CBA, or at least specific terms giving the league the authority to set the terms of the '05 draft.

The draft is a blatant violation of anti-trust law and is only legal because it is agreed to in a CBA. Even though a draftee is not covered by the CBA when he is drafted, when he signs the Standard Player's Contract he agrees to be covered by all the terms of the CBA, including the draft.

The expired CBA gave the authority to the league to determine the order of draft selection, but required consultation and agreement with the PA to make changes.

8.5. Order of Selection. The League may determine the rules governing the order of selection among Clubs in the Entry Draft, provided that such rules (i) shall not in any manner affect or enlarge in any respect the selecting Club's rights (including, without limitation, rights of retention) in respect of such player, and (ii) are not inconsistent or contrary in any other respect to any provision of this Agreement. Following discussion with the NHLPA, the League adopted the procedures set out in Exhibit 4 as a modification to the rules governing order of selection in Entry Drafts conducted prior to 1995. In the event that the League proposes a material change to those prior rules regarding order of selection, as intended to be modified by Exhibit 4, the League shall notify the NHLPA no later than March 1 in the year of the Entry Draft during which such changes are proposed to take effect, and shall afford the NHLPA a reasonable period of time prior to the implementation thereof for the purpose of conferring regarding any such changes.

The terms of the current draft lottery were negotiated between the league and the PA and were added to the CBA (as exhibit 4).

EXHIBIT 4
Entry Draft Selection Modifications

The selection of the first round of the 1995 Entry Draft, and Entry Drafts in years following, shall be determined as follows:

1. Clubs that do not make the playoffs participate in a weighted drawing.

2. These non-playoff Clubs shall be ranked in the inverse order of their regular season point totals, with team #1 being the Club with the worst record, team #10 being the Club with the best record:

TEAM ODDS
1 30.0%
2 21.0%
3 15.1%
4 10.9%
5 8.0%
6 5.9%
7 4.2%
8 2.8%
9 1.6%
10 0.5%

3. There will be a drawing only for the first pick in the first round.

4. The winner of the weighted drawing receives the first pick, except that no team may improve its position by more than 4 places in the order of selection. Thus, if the tenth team "won" the drawing, it would select 6th in the Entry Draft.

Any new conditions for draft selection order, including any special one time transition rules for the '05 draft, will have to be agreed to by the PA and included in the CBA.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
xander said:
i still don't understand why there must be a draft this year. There is nothing to base this years draft off of so why hold a draft at all? Holding a draft this year (whether based on weighted or 1 to 1 lottery) is just going to screw over alot of teams.

And NOT holding the draft this year is going to screw over a lot of draft eligible players.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
DarthSather99 said:
All I can say is that no matter what the format. If a team wins the lottery and has been in the playoffs the last few years then the NHL will lose any fans that are currently on the fence about coming back to root for their teams, it will be the biggest joke in professional sports. The NHL better consider this draft and it's positional format very seriously. They are in grave danger of being extinct.
I think you grossly overestimate the importance of the lottery to the league itself. If they screw it up, they'll become extinct? C'mon, don't be so dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad