GDT: #1: FLYERS at Golden Knights, Thursday, Oct. 4, 2018, 10:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stupid.

I know people don't like Weal but he's absolutely one of the 12 best forwards. Heaviness + reliability > skill + skating.

Weal can skate? Seriously, he's an average skater which is why he struggles defensively, he's quick and agile in short areas, but his size limits him in traffic. More suited to 3C than 4C, but beat out by the Pimp. At 4C, six of one, half dozen of the other. The kind of decision that isn't worth losing sleep over. And Weal can't PK.

As far as Leier v Lehtera, Leier went unclaimed, when a young player at minimum salary goes unclaimed, that's the league proclaiming him below replacement level, since he couldn't replace anyone on a NHL roster.

Me, I'm just gonna keep an eye on Rubtsov this fall in LHV.

Reactions: hatcher

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There's no logical statistical argument to be made for Weal to be the 13th Forward. Whenever the argument comes, please mentally copy and paste my reply in line.

*Edit* I picked the wrong one, sorry. This time it was end of the bench guys don't actually matter. Those who have winning tickets, please form a line to the left to collect your winnings.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The other thing to remember with Weal is he's no kid anymore, he's 26 and turns 27 at the end of the season.

At some point he has to produce, not merely look good, he was doing the same thing in preseason that he did last year, control the puck, skate around and end up with a weak shot or a turnover, to me he's an "empty Corsi" player - some players generate shots but not good scoring chances.

Weal is similar to Cousins, a little more skilled, a little lighter and less fiesty, both are tweeners who'll bounce around the NHL but lack enough size and skill to carve out a top 9 role on a regular basis.

Next year we'll have Rubtsov, Twarynski, NAK, Frost, Allison, Laczynski pushing for forward jobs in camp, and Ratcliffe, Strome, Sushko, maybe Lycksell joining Kase and Bunnaman in the AHL.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
FIRE EVERYONE.

Dale Weise....
46f.gif

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
04AFC221-CB0D-469B-9270-FD4E40313402.jpeg
3D4F8314-A6BD-4EF8-AD3A-E6BE4BF3C7C3.jpeg
2BCC37CB-3CB8-4128-81C6-186606793878.jpeg
Weal can skate? Seriously, he's an average skater which is why he struggles defensively, he's quick and agile in short areas, but his size limits him in traffic. More suited to 3C than 4C, but beat out by the Pimp. At 4C, six of one, half dozen of the other. The kind of decision that isn't worth losing sleep over. And Weal can't PK.

As far as Leier v Lehtera, Leier went unclaimed, when a young player at minimum salary goes unclaimed, that's the league proclaiming him below replacement level, since he couldn't replace anyone on a NHL roster.

Me, I'm just gonna keep an eye on Rubtsov this fall in LHV.

Weal can skate a lot faster than Lehtera! This coach is very much into team specific matchups for lineup construction (which is reasonable) and Vegas is fast...so he uses his slowest forward at his disposal for the 4C spot? It’s fair to question this decision.

Even-Strength Regularized Adjusted Plus-Minus 2015-2018: specifically, individual contributions to Quality-Weighted Shot Suppression & Shot Suppression

First Graphic: Weal vs. Lehtera

Isolated Defensive impact (Even-Strength
Shot Rates Against): 2016-2018; Per Micah Blake McCurdy (HockeyViz.com)

Second Graphic: Jordan Weal
Third Graphic: Jori Lehtera

Defensive coverage, plays broken up, etc. aren’t stats that are available to us yet. These stats I mentioned are some of the best in measuring defensive contributions (that are publicly available). Weal, in his time as a Flyer (& before) performed better in both of these stats than Lehtera.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There's no logical statistical argument to be made for Weal to be the 13th Forward. Whenever the argument comes, please mentally copy and paste my reply in line.

*Edit* I picked the wrong one, sorry. This time it was end of the bench guys don't actually matter. Those who have winning tickets, please form a line to the left to collect your winnings.
It doesn't matter...until Lehtera is on the same ice as someone like Barzal...

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
You know he is either Mandog himself or really close to him to follow the guy over to the Blackhawks. Even goes on to say he has been a Hawks fan for 30 years lol

It would be much easier if he just said "NHL fan for 30 years", makes it easier to follow ManDog to his next stop

Reactions: sa cyred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad