Post-Game Talk: #1: FLYERS 4 vs. Blackhawks 3, Friday, Oct. 4, 2019, 2:00 pm ET [at Prague, Czech Republic]

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Didn’t @JojoTheWhale say before that they typically rack up the least amount of travel miles? That’s probably why they don’t care.

Yep, they’re almost always bottom 5 in the league.

Other teams that typically can be found in the bottom handful would include Pittsburgh (tied with the Flyers for most b2bs), Detroit, Toronto, New Jersey, and Buffalo.

A team like Colorado can travel up to 15,000 more Miles a season than the Flyers.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yep, they’re almost always bottom 5 in the league.

Other teams that typically can be found in the bottom handful would include Pittsburgh (tied with the Flyers for most b2bs), Detroit, Toronto, New Jersey, and Buffalo.

A team like Colorado can travel up to 15,000 more Miles a season than the Flyers.

It's crazy how spread out the other divisions are in comparison to the Metro, generally speaking. The longest distance between two teams in division is what, a 2 hour flight?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's crazy how spread out the other divisions are in comparison to the Metro, generally speaking. The longest distance between two teams in division is what, a 2 hour flight?

Yep, 1 3/4 hours from JFK to RDU on commercial. I used to make that trip every other weekend.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yep, 1 3/4 hours from JFK to RDU on commercial. I used to make that trip every other weekend.

The disparity isnt as bad as i though, though.

Pacific is probably 3.5 Hours (Phoenix to Edmonton)
Central isnt great going from Dallas to Winnipeg
Atlantic probably has the worst consistent travel, with ottawa/montreal to miami being pretty rough.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The disparity isnt as bad as i though, though.

Pacific is probably 3.5 Hours (Phoenix to Edmonton)
Central isnt great going from Dallas to Winnipeg
Atlantic probably has the worst consistent travel, with ottawa/montreal to miami being pretty rough.

Right, the difference in one trip isn’t all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Then you add up the totals and the lowest team is in the 33-34k Mile range with the top teams pushing 48-49k.

Reactions: Starat327

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It definitely sucks from a watching perspective but I do get the Flyers logic of trying to clear out as much western conference road games early in the season.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Right, the difference in one trip isn’t all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Then you add up the totals and the lowest team is in the 33-34k Mile range with the top teams pushing 48-49k.

Yeah, seems like the atlantic has the most teams ' at odds' with Mtl/Ott and Florida/TB, with the in between travel being fairly simply (toronto/buff/boston/det), though those Florida teams are definitely a pain for everyone. The median 4 probably balance it out for everyone, whereas the central/pacific are so spread in between it's a lot more grueling on the body. The ability for the Metro teams to just hop on a train for about 4 of their divisional away games (fun fact: they contract Amtrak out for special trains which then take precedence on the rails - even over Acelas) is a huge advantage, as train travel is infinitely less draining than plane travel over the same distance.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Konecny doesn’t need to get his defensive game working to be an elite contributor.

It’s not like the Flyers are lacking in PK personnel either. Just gotta pick the right guys

agree but it would be nice to have some more speed on the pk and have some sort of scoring threat. Would love to have something similar to that giroux-richards connection on the pk. Couts, lindblom, tk, giroux, raffl, laughton would be great on the pk. Again, like you said, its not needed but would be nice

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It definitely sucks from a watching perspective but I do get the Flyers logic of trying to clear out as much western conference road games early in the season.
It’s Ok to get a Western swing in early, as long as you win some of the games!

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I do think it bears mention that for all our defensive woes last season, the Blackhawks gave up even more goals. Only the Senators allowed more. By expected goals against, they were dead last by 10 expected goals. You could make the argument they were the worst defensive team in the league and have made no upgrades (well, if you call Määttä an upgrade), their declining veterans got a year older, and there are no young and talented bounce back candidates like with our team.

They can score, but they B-A-D. Maybe because of their past success they go under the radar. I think it’s fair to say I’d like to see our 2 line team against a more imposing defensive lineup.

I agree 100%, but the flip side of the coin is they did what they were supposed to do to an inferior team. The question mark still remains, and for sure, 100% fair to say. But seeing the Flyers do what they were supposed does make me happy. I do have worry about the overall balance of this team, but if they can beat the teams they're supposed to beat, I'd say they are having a better year than last year, where that wasn't always the case.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I agree 100%, but the flip side of the coin is they did what they were supposed to do to an inferior team. The question mark still remains, and for sure, 100% fair to say. But seeing the Flyers do what they were supposed does make me happy. I do have worry about the overall balance of this team, but if they can beat the teams they're supposed to beat, I'd say they are having a better year than last year, where that wasn't always the case.
Yup, I'm not planning any parades but the results of the team's overall aggressiveness and adaptive coaching are promising.

Still keeping expectations in check

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Which isn't something we've seen very often during the past regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->