1 cup and RS success or 2 cups and RS failures

Which would you rather have over a 10 year span?

• Total voters

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Cups are the measuring stick of success.
Easy choice for me.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Well hard to say depends when the cups are won in those 10 years. If its like two cups in a row and rest failure I take 1 cup but if like 1 cup suck for years win second cup i go with that.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
OP. You described a 10 year span. Your first option is 1 cup while never missing the playoffs so that's clear. Your second choice is 2 cups but your team misses the playoffs most of the time.

What do you define as most of the times? I'll assume that you're not counting the cups as playoff appearances so in a 10 year span, let's assume that that's 2 cups and 2 playoff appearances. That still comes out to 4 playoff appearances in a 10 year span. I would happily trade 6 playoff misses for an extra cup.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The closest comparison I could come up with for this poll would be the Miami Marlins who have two World Series wins six years apart but have been generally putrid outside of those seasons

The cups seems like an obvious pick for the thrill and two championships but I couldn’t imagine the pain of being a Marins fan...

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Caps have been in the playoffs I think 28 times in 35 seasons and it didn’t end well a single f***ing time until this week. Like the 1st time they make it out of the 2nd round Dino Cicerelli looks like the 1st guy they can count on to score playoff goals (just had to trade 2 HOFers) oops injured immediately swept out. They make the finals as the flukiest team ever just to play a team with 7 HOFers and by the way you better f***ing enjoy it because you just traded J Allison and Ansin Carter as throw ins for old ass Oates oops over already. Close out like 12-1 to make the playoffs for the 1st time with Ovy? Game 7 Phillys trip goes uncalled Caps goes called plus a goal disallowed. There’s no moral victories in the playoffs look at Ottawa, crazy Cinderella season without the nookie now they’re a garbage fire. I can’t pinpoint one Pens memory because it’s like the doctor asking where did he touch you. These other horrible memories just available on recall and I had like 1 legitimately good memory, Fedorov game 7 right circle vs NYR. And all the f***ing time it’s like Carolina and Vegas and Tampa and Florida in the finals, not getting swept and therefore getting farther than the Caps ever had, because it’s hockey and totally random. I don’t understand who would vote 1 SC.

Last edited:

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
1 cup and making the playoffs (and hopefully exciting playoff runs) the rest of the time.

I'd take 2 cups and missing the playoffs every other year over never winning the cup (but always making the playoffs/making it pretty far in the playoffs), but winning at least one cup and feeling excited the rest of the years is enough for me.

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
As a Hurricanes fan, I have memories of our 2002 and 2009 playoff runs that are nearly just as fond as our 2006 Cup win. 2009 in particular was probably the most exciting string of games I have ever witnessed.

If you want to call those years failures because we didn't win the cup, go ahead. I'd rather just watch entertaining hockey.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Would you make $1M twice in 10 years and make $0 the other 8 years, or, would your rather make $100,000 for 9 years, and $1M in one year?

One is worth $2M the other $1.9M. Close poll .

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Well hard to say depends when the cups are won in those 10 years. If its like two cups in a row and rest failure I take 1 cup but if like 1 cup suck for years win second cup i go with that.

So a Cup in year #1, and a Cup in year #10 is OK?
Its my choice too, but the above is chance you take.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
I quite honestly like the 1 cup and always play offs more. You're fan of a strong team and get to cheer for them in the play offs every year.
maybe with hindsight the other team has 2 cups, but for most of the time you watched a team that sucked and didn't even make the post season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
None of us the play in the NHL. Cups are all but meaningless for us. They're fun to celebrate, but I want to watch good hockey more than anything. Getting two cups is great, but if you miss the playoffs the rest of the time you're watching bad hockey.

Reactions: ehhedler

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
As a fan? Consistent playoff appearances with a championship would be my choice. For the emotional and thrills playoff hockey gives.

As a player? Two Cups.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Hockey is f***ing boring when your team misses the playoffs.

Gotta go with a Cup and constant playoff hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad