1 Compliance Buyout in the 2021-2022 Season who would you choose?

Who would you Buyout?

• Vlasic

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Karlsson.

Since I advocate rebuilding, I want the 11.5 mil of cap space now to make moves with. While Vlasic will be next to impossible to trade at 7mil, I think you could pretty easily convince a team to take him for his experience and past pedigree at 4 maybe even 5 mil.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
bAsA1CG.png

This a good sign of things to come

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson.

Since I advocate rebuilding, I want the 11.5 mil of cap space now to make moves with. While Vlasic will be next to impossible to trade at 7mil, I think you could pretty easily convince a team to take him for his experience and past pedigree at 4 maybe even 5 mil.

Yeah but the team isn't going to retain to that degree long term. I don't think any team has done more than 1.5 on someone with term.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah but the team isn't going to retain to that degree long term. I don't think any team has done more than 1.5 on someone with term.

You are most likely correct, but the thread title is what would I choose, not what do I think the Sharks would choose.

Disregarding precedent, would you personally be willing to retain 2mil on Vlasic if someone took him now? Saving 5 mil in cap over the next 5 years. I know I sure would.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You are most likely correct, but the thread title is what would I choose, not what do I think the Sharks would choose.

Disregarding precedent, would you personally be willing to retain 2mil on Vlasic if someone took him now? Saving 5 mil in cap over the next 5 years. I know I sure would.

If it meant saving five mil probably but I can't see us dumping five mil without taking crap back.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Most of us here are in agreement it seems. Vlassic is an albatross. But I wonder if we are 2 or 3 years down the line if the answer changes. If Karlsson continues his 25 point pace I would probably switch at that point.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
If it meant saving five mil probably but I can't see us dumping five mil without taking crap back.

While I certainly do not think it would be super easy, all we need is one GM who loves vets, and experience, and thinks Vlasic just needs a change of scenery, and bam Vlasic would be gone at 5mil per.

There have been plenty of silly moves like that over the years, that I do not think it is far fetched. In the mean time, we have 11.5 mil in cap to start doing something with while we look for that silly fool of a GM to take Vlasic.

Worst case scenario, since I would only do this under the assumption of a rebuild, we keep Vlasic for 5 more years during a rebuild, during which time his cap hit will help us hit the floor and be no issue at all for at least the first 3 years and most likely not be an issue ever unless the rebuild goes amazing well, and we are already trying to go all in for a cup within 5 years, which would be shocking.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Karlsson is so broken I almost chose him. Still, Vlasic is playing men's league hockey in the NHL so I picked him.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I voted vlasic, but I think the case for ek is pretty strong. IMO vlasics contact is movable in a raising cap. But yeah it's still vlasic

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Seriously, what the hell happened to that GM?

He got burned by Brian Campbell not re-signing with SJ, then when he traded for Burns he handed out a 5 year contract, followed up by an 8 year contract.

He got burned when PM was the first of the "Big 3" to leave the team, so he signed Vlasic to a massive contract because he wants to keep him.

He got burned when Tavares wouldn't sign in SJ, so he signed Couture to a massive contract, then traded for Karlsson, couldn't lose him after giving up all those pieces so he signed him to a massive contract.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He got burned by Brian Campbell not re-signing with SJ, then when he traded for Burns he handed out a 5 year contract, followed up by an 8 year contract.

He got burned when PM was the first of the "Big 3" to leave the team, so he signed Vlasic to a massive contract because he wants to keep him.

He got burned when Tavares wouldn't sign in SJ, so he signed Couture to a massive contract, then traded for Karlsson, couldn't lose him after giving up all those pieces so he signed him to a massive contract.
Bits of this are probably correct, but overall not it. He signed Vlasic to make up for being one of the biggest bargains in the NHL through his 20's. Couture's contract is probably close to adequate value (within a half million probably) but got destroyed with the cap not rising. Karlsson was maybe a million over what I wanted at the time but that was the cost of not going to UFA and letting other teams take their shot at him. He just has played like absolute garbage this year.

Guess it goes back to you'll almost never regret the guy you didn't sign to a big deal, but you will almost always regret the guy you did. That said, until there is a leaguewide change in philosophy on those deals, you're almost always going to have to play that game in UFA or trades. Unless you tank for a prolonged period of time to build a Crosby/Malkin, McDavid/Draisatl, Toews/Kane, etc. duo that allow you to just nibble around the edges with ELC guys and cheap short term veteran players you're going to have a bulk of your core overpaid for term because it's better for a team trying to contend to have that guy than to not (same deal with the NFL and QBs).

Really the only solution given where we are now is to get creative and make a big risky trade or to tear it to the studs and accumulate picks for guys that actually have value like Kane, Meier, and Hertl. It would suck in the near term, but that is probably the best path forward given the state of our prospect pool and NHL roster. I like the way that we have drafted the past couple years, but those guys are just going to need time to get here and be good NHL players and this core will be burnt toast by the time that happens. So may as well accumulate more picks to build another core for 2-3 years down the road (barring the miracle DW trade).

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
To me it comes down to whether or not you think the team can contend for the cup in the next few years. Vlasic is the choice if you think we could use the $7M in cap space to make this team a contender. If you don’t think that is realistic, Karlsson is the choice. His contract is longer and more expensive.

I think they are both anchor contracts. Add in the other aging players on long term contracts and the lack of high end talent on ELCs and I think we should rebuild, so I chose Karlsson.

Reactions: Herschel

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Perhaps in expansion drafts, particularly for teams in the same division, they should get a compliance buyout to help even things out. Otherwise, it's a lopsided affair completely different from the Sharks' first year.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Seriously, what the hell happened to that GM?
The CBA changed, the league changed. All the guys he signed would have walked if they didn't get the 8 years. that 8th year is the only thing a team has as an advantage when resigning their own UFAs.
That was not a smart trade to decline.
Especially because that was Pronger at his peak. Whatever team he went to seemed to get to the cup final.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The CBA changed, the league changed. All the guys he signed would have walked if they didn't get the 8 years. that 8th year is the only thing a team has as an advantage when resigning their own UFAs.

Especially because that was Pronger at his peak. Whatever team he went to seemed to get to the cup final.
Plus it would've meant that Anaheim probably wouldn't have gotten theirs either.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I would like to trade both Vlasic and Karlsson for a 1st round, and a couple of 2/3 round picks, and free about $19M in cap space. I'd add Jones to that list as well, but I don't think any team would want that contract for their AHL goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad