GDT: [#1] Arizona Coyotes @ Dallas Stars, 8:30 PM EST (FS-SW) - The Polak'ing Begins

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I thought Montgomery said Honka was going to play a big role in this defense...?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not happy about this. Wonder if Honka would've sat is too if Johns was healthy and we didn't get Carrick.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nope, due to his play in one practice.

tenor.gif

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Are we gonna go with the 4D thing like Anaheim and Nashville do, where we play the top 4 for 50 minutes?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Poor Honka MY LORD. o_O

Those second and third pairings might work tonight against Arizona (not meant as a slight against the Yotes) but they will get EATEN ALIVE by the Jets. We really need a healthy Johns back as a stabilizer.

Reactions: Kcb12345

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
This is a home game against an inferior opponent. Polak/Carrick might be good if we expect to be hemmed in our zone all game, but we need more offensive and transition weapons in the line-up. Unless Honka is hurt, he and Carrick were the right choices for this game.

Spezza isn't one of only six forwards to play an entire game

It was a rhetorical question. Spezza is in the line-up because he is a high paid veteran with experience and high end offensive production in his past. I'm asking: if it makes no sense to ignore offense and transition ability when making forward selections, why does it make sense to choose a defenseman purely for their ability or willingness to maintain a tight gap in practice?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Holy sucking shit... "the two who defended the best were going to be the two that go in today’s game, and those two defended the best yesterday in practice"

Honka has a legit preseason, looks like pre Hitch Honka, looks confident, uses his skating to push the puck and a single practice is enough to get him scratched... This is infuriating.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I mean there's always the possibility that he isn't performing well in practice if Monty is seeing the same thing that Hitchcock saw. I didn't get to see many preseason games, but thought he was doing fine from what I heard.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
While I know this will straighten itself out with Johns playing, saying that Polak (statistically the worst defenceman in the league over the last half-dozen years) "outdefended" anyone in practice is either an embarrassing statement or a cause for alarm. #GameOnePanic

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Starting to wonder if acquiring Carrick was not for Johns at all...but for Honka

Either was this is ridiculous. Coyotes are gonna blow past Polak

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Funny how all that pre-season excitement for what’s ahead was quickly undone by the healthy scratch of one 4-6D. I think it’s because the past treatment of Honka represents a larger frustration of fans, which is the development of prospects. I’m in the #freehonka camp, but let’s just enjoy this one, fellow fans, including the likelihood that there are more Stars prospects playing in the opening night lineup than in the past couple of seasons. The future is bright.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I’m not even excited for this season. Really wish I was, but this constant bullshit is just getting to be too much.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I'm not a HUGE fan of Honka, but the whole rhetoric in the summer is that they would play through the mistakes of Honka and Heiskanen, and through playing them and gaining confidence their game would develop as the season went along. Sending him to the press-box in game one just seems like it's contradictory to statements they made in the summer about Honka. Not only that, but playing both Polak (who did not look good in the preseason) and Carrick (who has only had a few days to learn the system) because of their play in one practice just seems absurd.

Reactions: Kcb12345 and Nerv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->