GDT: 1/9/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Carolina vs Tampa Bay

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Offsides reviews are a total BS. One immediate change should be that if defensive team touches the puck, you can not have a review for offsides entry. All that aside, I still don't see how Kunitz was called offside if he was the one that brought the puck into the offensive zone?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Offsides reviews are a total BS. One immediate change should be that if defensive team touches the puck, you can not have a review for offsides entry. All that aside, I still don't see how Kunitz was called offside if he was the one that brought the puck into the offensive zone?
He didn't have control when he crossed.

It's just such a dumb rule. For most calls, it feels like the standard is "definitive proof" to overturn the call on the ice. That does not seem to be how the linesmen view their duty on reviews - instead they essentially make the call again.

At the end of the day, it takes goals off of the scoreboard for things that have nothing to do with scoring. It was a bad idea when it was announced, but the implementation has made it even worse.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
That offside review was totally asinine because who the frack cares. It's not why we scored. It's completely not in the spirit of the offside rule, which is to prevent blatant cherry picking, not enforce millimeter perfect synchronized zone entries. Get rid of the challenge and just automatically review the zone entry on each goal. If you can't find something obviously wrong (like being 2 feet offside) before the next puck drop then it definitely didn't matter.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
The offside review last night was pretty ridiculous. Hockey's a fast game, and there should be a bit of leeway. The replay on those should be shown at game speed, not super slow mo. If it's not obvious at game speed than it's close enough that it probably didn't matter. There should also be a time cap, like, the goal needs to have been scored within a certain amount of time from the infraction or something. All they did last night was rob the first line of a well-earned point.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I cringed when I saw Kunitz on the first line but he wasn't half bad. Actually, I don't think anyone could look bad with Stammer and Kuch.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I mean Kunitz used to be stapled to Crosby's side. He may not be as productive as you want in that role but he seems to know what his job is on such a line.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think it matters too much who's there. Kuch has produced with 90% of the people we've tried him with, and he and Stamkos are clicking.

The real interesting thing, to me, is to see how Vlad does now that he's separated from two of the best players in the world. I think it's important to find out, given he's in a contract year and could realistically coast to a 50 point season from here.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Vlad's looked better than I was expecting on the third so far, but he's always shown up for games in Detroit so it's a bit too early to say. We could probably read a little something into Coop throwing him out there with Stammer and Kuch again towards the end of the game last night.

Kunitz won't embarrass himself if he stays on the first. You can tell he wasn't quite ready for Kuch, but it generally takes guys a game or two to adjust to the way Kuch plays. I will say that I do like having a competent player out there who can probably be counted on to keep an eye on our top 2 guys. Teams have started taking liberties with Kuch and Stammer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->