GDT: 1/8/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Columbus vs Tampa Bay

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think getting Panarin makes sense. Great player, but how many goals do we intend to score?

I don't like the idea of throwing Miller for a rental we're not re-signing. I'd rather get a long-term asset if we're forced to move him.
I'd be fine either way. While putting together a solid team for multiple seasons is a way better recipe for winning the Cup than going all-in for one season, we have the pieces to be contending for years to come. But on the other hand we've given up lots of solid pieces and a good number of draft picks as well, maybe we should just go with what we have now so that we don't completely ruin our prospect pool.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
A lot could change but it just doesnt feel like we will make any moves at the deadline. Panarin would be cool but we would probably have to pay a lot to do it. Probably not worth it. As much as I love our chances for this season I still love our chances in the future too. I think we try to get our core settled before we make any other big moves.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think getting Panarin makes sense. Great player, but how many goals do we intend to score?

I don't like the idea of throwing Miller for a rental we're not re-signing. I'd rather get a long-term asset if we're forced to move him.

The more the better, it's a clear upgrade on Miller in every sense and takes the biggest rental off the market, the only other teams gunning for him would be other top teams.

We could take an asset, but it won't be good value - I'd take the extra odds at a cup.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Well, we're pretty much resigned to losing Miller though. So let's say, best case scenario, we can get about the 25th pick. I think I'd give that up to upgrade Miller to Panarin for a year.

I like what Miller brings in the regular season, but last year's playoffs still leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with him. If he'd had a history to fall back on, it would be easier to overlook. But there were nights where he probably should have been scratched. So Panarin could be a decent upgrade, or he could be a massive upgrade, depending on which version of Miller we're talking about.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
The more the better, it's a clear upgrade on Miller in every sense and takes the biggest rental off the market, the only other teams gunning for him would be other top teams.

We could take an asset, but it won't be good value - I'd take the extra odds at a cup.

That is a really good point. If an "arms race" starts at the TDL, keeping certain players away from other teams can help just as much as getting that player alone.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well I mean, he'd either play with Stamkos or with Cirelli. If he worked with Stamkos... good luck defending us. And, if not, we have a ppg player on the 3rd line.

I wonder if the idea of Miller-for-a-rental is something JBB is considering.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Gotta push my Miller for Panarin narrative once again......I mean it's the only serious upgrade we can make and Columbus's situation is favorable to that right now.
They get a top line winger back and keep their roster afloat, we're going to dump Miller in the off-season anyways..

I mean, not that it matters right now, his MNTC isn't in effect, but there was a recent article that mentioned that Miller goes back to OH to go hunting/fishing with his father every off-season and xmas break, etc. Where he is from is closer to Pitt than Columbus, but maybe the Jackets org could market him as the "home town" Ohioan (or whatever they call themselves).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->