GDT: 1/5/19 - 11:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ San Jose

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
He was matched against Kucherov's line and totally shut them down. Kucherov had zero points, zero shots and was -4.

Karlsson played over 29 minutes, had 2 points and was +2 .

If this does not impress you, I'm not sure what does.
Means nothing to me. The Lightning were 15-0-1 coming into this game and were due for a stinker. Regardless of how good you think EK and BB are, the Lightning had a stinker. I give the Sharks some credit but most of the results of this game were due to unforced Lightning errors and not being at their best. Not because the Sharks "totally shut them down".

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Means nothing to me. The Lightning were 15-0-1 coming into this game and were due for a stinker. Regardless of how good you think EK and BB are, the Lightning had a stinker. I give the Sharks some credit but most of the results of this game were due to unforced Lightning errors and not being at their best. Not because the Sharks "totally shut them down".

Brent Burns overall game is overrated.

So whenever Tampa get out-matched, it's due to them having an off day, it has nothing to do with the opposing team?

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

lol if some other team said this about a loss to us....:rolleyes:

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Brent Burns overall game is overrated.

So whenever Tampa get out-matched, it's due to them having an off day, it has nothing to do with the opposing team?
I definitely give the Sharks credit, they obviously outplayed the Bolts but the fact that the Lightning were off of their game (unable to connect on simple passes, etc) all night contributed as much to the result as what the Sharks did. I guess I will just say if Vasy played a normal game for his standards the results would've been a lot different.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If some other team had a 10 point gap between them and the second overall rated team in the league, I would think they had a right to say that...but I suppose you are right...

Yeah that's a great attitude from a team that's won nothing..

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think it's kind of silly to get either up or down about the regular season based on where we are as a team. This season's success is going to be determined in May or June.

Which is why running Vasi into the ground makes no ****ing sense.

No one will care or remember how many points we were up on a team at the halfway mark or finish with this season if it's another loss in any round. Talking big now is like the Caps fans bragging about those presidents cups all the years they got bounced in the 2nd round.

I mean I don't feel like we're running Vasi into the ground.. guy just got back from injury and has only played 22 games on the year. This is typical with him though, he has these huge mid-season slumps just got to work it through and then we can rest up towards the end.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
No one will care or remember how many points we were up on a team at the halfway mark or finish with this season if it's another loss in any round. Talking big now is like the Caps fans bragging about those presidents cups all the years they got bounced in the 2nd round.

I mean I don't feel like we're running Vasi into the ground.. guy just got back from injury and has only played 22 games on the year. This is typical with him though, he has these huge mid-season slumps just got to work it through and then we can rest up towards the end.
If you look at Vasi's stats on 2+ days of rest versus 1 or 0 days of rest, it's absurd. We had two days before the Kings game, so it made sense to start him, but with just one off day, why not put Dom in there? He's started something like 6 straight.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you look at Vasi's stats on 2+ days of rest versus 1 or 0 days of rest, it's absurd. We had two days before the Kings game, so it made sense to start him, but with just one off day, why not put Dom in there? He's started something like 6 straight.

At the same time, he's got to get used to this. We don't want him to be a starter who never figures out how to play more than 50 games without fatigue setting in. I don't think we should be only resting him on back-to-backs, but we have two days until the CBJ game. I think LA or Anaheim would have been the game to give him a rest, or Carolina on Thursday. (Even if LA was on rest, they're such a weak team this year that I think we could have played Dom.)

I just don't like that he's showing some signs of repeating last year's second half. He could still pull out of it. But the big red flag is his rebound control is way out of whack again, after being great in the first half, which is the same pattern as last year.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

We're rooting for the same team to reach the same goal. I wasn't "talking big". I was simply stating what I believed to be true. I give credit to the Sharks for winning the game but we certainly did an awful lot to help them win it. That's all I was saying. I mean, some people got their panties in a twist because I didn't feel overly impressed by Burns or Karlsson but then again, I've been spoiled watching Heddy and McDonagh (last few games not withstanding).

I understand what you mean and agree with you completely. Regular season accomplishments mean precisely dick.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
The Sharks are talented team and they clearly wanted this particular win. I didn't really see us getting dominated so much as just not really showing enough interest.. We looked like a team that had mentally boarded the plane back home a few hours early. It's a long season. It happens.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Sharks are talented team and they clearly wanted this particular win. I didn't really see us getting dominated so much as just not really showing enough interest.. We looked like a team that had mentally boarded the plane back home a few hours early. It's a long season. It happens.

Every game is one of 82 for us, whereas we stand out on everybody else's schedule. Some teams, on some nights, we're not gonna be able to beat at 3/4 throttle.

I thought the Sharks' PK was a big turning point. They were tenacious and we couldn't get any space to assess options. Had we scored on one of those opportunities it might have been a different game. It's just different being down by 2 to the Sharks than, say, Montreal. We can't bulldoze them with depth the same way.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The fourth goal Vasi let in was also a backbreaker. That was an insanely soft goal and basically made the game out of hand. It's the type of game where we definitely didn't bring our A game and the Sharks did, but despite that we were down 1 after 50 minutes and but for a goal that would have been too soft if it went in on Pasquale, we had a shot to tie it up. And that's without factoring in all of the close posts and crossbars.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The fourth goal Vasi let in was also a backbreaker. That was an insanely soft goal and basically made the game out of hand. It's the type of game where we definitely didn't bring our A game and the Sharks did, but despite that we were down 1 after 50 minutes and but for a goal that would have been too soft if it went in on Pasquale, we had a shot to tie it up. And that's without factoring in all of the close posts and crossbars.

Yeah, nothing about that game makes me overly afraid of the Sharks in a playoff series.

Vasy just doesn't seem zeroed in at the moment. Not sure if it's fatigue or what. He's fighting it even when he's making saves. Could just be the goalie version of what a lot of our players go through this time of year, with this kind of lead in the standings.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sj played a good game but I thought we had our chances just couldn't finish. Happens. We went a full month not having one of these games.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
This is a better, less bitter way of repeating the crux of what I was saying.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Every game is one of 82 for us, whereas we stand out on everybody else's schedule. Some teams, on some nights, we're not gonna be able to beat at 3/4 throttle.

I thought the Sharks' PK was a big turning point. They were tenacious and we couldn't get any space to assess options. Had we scored on one of those opportunities it might have been a different game. It's just different being down by 2 to the Sharks than, say, Montreal. We can't bulldoze them with depth the same way.
Their PK was pretty effective. That's one matchup where they were flat out beating us. That being said, we had our chances. Thinking back it seems like Point and Johnson must've hit four or five solid posts between them. But, as you say, this wasn't Montreal. When a team is close to us in talent, we aren't quite good enough that we can show up and cruise to the win, particularly when Vasy's having an off game.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We're rooting for the same team to reach the same goal. I wasn't "talking big". I was simply stating what I believed to be true. I give credit to the Sharks for winning the game but we certainly did an awful lot to help them win it. That's all I was saying. I mean, some people got their panties in a twist because I didn't feel overly impressed by Burns or Karlsson but then again, I've been spoiled watching Heddy and McDonagh (last few games not withstanding).

I understand what you mean and agree with you completely. Regular season accomplishments mean precisely dick.

All good, I know where you're coming from ;)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, nothing about that game makes me overly afraid of the Sharks in a playoff series.

Vasy just doesn't seem zeroed in at the moment. Not sure if it's fatigue or what. He's fighting it even when he's making saves. Could just be the goalie version of what a lot of our players go through this time of year, with this kind of lead in the standings.

We've seen this every year from him, his inexperience kind of cancels out of his youthfulness. I remember his a quote he had saying his body hardly feels fatigue because he's so young, he just needs to get around the mental slump of having bad games. Hope he figures that part out soon because he has serious advantage over the majority of goalies with his youth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->