1/26/05 NHL & NHLPA labor talk Game Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i dont think anything will come of this today, other than another days negotiations - they wont solve it today. its about impossible unless there has been a ton of negotiations we dont know about.

Go Flames Go*

If they have a season, it should be play your division rivals 4 times each having them be home and home series. Thats 16 games and play the other 10 teams 1 time each to make a total of 36 games.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Go Flames Go said:
If they have a season, it should be play your division rivals 4 times each having them be home and home series. Thats 16 games and play the other 10 teams 1 time each to make a total of 36 games.

Backing off your 'no season" stance are you? ;)

Go Flames Go*

I guess its rumoured that the meeting is really taking place at the Suttoun Hotel, and that all the media has been kicked out.

Go Flames Go*

417 TO MTL said:
Backing off your 'no season" stance are you? ;)

Nope im just saying what would be a good idea. I am still firm set that there will be no hockey for at the least 2 years.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
so, if anything's going on..we're not likely to find out what it is, due to the media restriction? that's a bummer...but it can be taken as both a good or bad thing. good...because they feel something is going to get done and don't want it spread all over the media before they can put their spin on it...bad...because of all the sensationalism last time\don't want to give people false hope. I guess we'll see whenever some sort of press conference is held.

X-SHARKIE

I have a gut fealing all that well come out of today is that the talks were good and that they agreed to go on with more talks tomorow and rather not go into specifics untill then.

By the end of the week we should have a good grasp on whether or not there well be as season though. I'm not going to hold my breath for big news coming out of todays meetings though.

Go Flames Go*

You guys are reading way to much into this. If its gonna get done(which I am 99.9% confident it wont), they will announce it. If no deal comes out then they will say they are world apart and we focus on the NBA lockout which is ahead.

Go Flames Go*

There is to huge of a bridge to gap. Unless the NHL works the cell phone frantically, and Hotchkiss/Daly/Batterman are on a 4 way conference call with Bettman every 1 hour there will be no stunning news coming out of today.

Either it will be we had good dialouge but we still realize we are worlds apart, or we came to agreement that there is no middle ground that can be reached at this point.

Crows*

Go Flames Go said:
There is an ass of a bridge to gap. Unless the NHL works the cell phone frantically, and "goflamesgo" /Daly/Batterman are on a 4 way conference call with Bettman every 1 hour there will be no stunning news coming out of today.

Either it will be we had good dialouge but we still realize we are worlds apart, or we came to agreement that Go Flames Go is a woman and fool

:lol: :lol: Fool

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Go Flames Go said:
You guys are reading way to much into this. If its gonna get done(which I am 99.9% confident it wont), they will announce it. If no deal comes out then they will say they are world apart and we focus on the NBA lockout which is ahead.

So were reading too much into this, then please tell us, what should be taken from the 3 meetings that have taken place, the coaches meetings? the sudden hush-hush by the media?

What is all this charade about then?

I mean come on, it dosen't take a genius to figure it out...

Notice how everything is all hush-hush now, media isin't saying much? that's because things said in the media can break deals, leaks can break deals...I have a feeling your one of those people who wishes against what they really want, in hopes that it makes it more likely to happen...

X0ssbar

If anyone is interested - the Doug MacLean show is on in Columbus. It can be heard on http://www.1460thefan.com.

John Davidson will be on, Mike Russo from the Sun-Sentinal who staking out today's meeting accross from the Sutton hotel will also be on.

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
I haven't seen or heard....what time did these talks start?

Didn't Chelios say that there are guys that would be willing to play into the summer to get some form of credible season? Figure when they do have a "real" season it's gotta be at least ten games shorter than what it is now. Granted it wouldn't be that long of an off season but they might be able to start the following year a little later. I'm thinking that they really ARE prepared to go into July if need be for a Cup final. Don't be so sold on the Stanley Cup being awarded in mid-late June.

Go Flames Go*

Yeah I must be wrong then, because they are keeping media away, and are keeping things on a hush.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Go Flames Go said:
Yeah I must be wrong then, because they are keeping media away, and are keeping things on a hush.

I could list about 10 reasons why your wrong, if I could just ask you 1 question though...

If your so sure that the season is lost, and will be so for at least the next 2 years, why are they meeting?trying to decide on a date to meet 2 years from now? :shakehead

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Briannj1970 said:
I haven't seen or heard....what time did these talks start?

Didn't Chelios say that there are guys that would be willing to play into the summer to get some form of credible season? Figure when they do have a "real" season it's gotta be at least ten games shorter than what it is now. Granted it wouldn't be that long of an off season but they might be able to start the following year a little later. I'm thinking that they really ARE prepared to go into July if need be for a Cup final. Don't be so sold on the Stanley Cup being awarded in mid-late June.

I'm not sure what time they started. I'd love to know, though! :dunno: :help:

Go Flames Go*

417 TO MTL said:
I could list about 10 reasons why your wrong, if I could just ask you 1 question though...

If your so sure that the season is lost, and will be so for at least the next 2 years, why are they meeting?trying to decide on a date to meet 2 years from now? :shakehead

They are trying to get the players to accept the cap in any form and they have resisted so far. Its looks terrible on the part of the NHL and NHLPA that they are not even meeting, so they just do this to share war stories.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
Go Flames Go said:

And really....how do you know for sure. Or anyone else on the board know. None of us know anything for certain. Everything here is speculation. Yet you seem so confident.

If your so confident, where's your proof? Its easy to take sides, because frankly we all have a 50/50 shot at being right. Their gonna save the season or their not...simple as that. But no one knows anything for sure.

So tired of these people who are so certain..... :dunno: :lol:

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
There is no doubt in my mind an agreement will be reached for this season relatively soon.

The framework is in place, or they wouldn't have gotten this intense. Both sides have realized that there is too much to lose with cancelling the season. The players have realized that the owners are in the driver's seat, and that cost certainty, of some form is a must, and they will toss the entire season to get it.

The combo hard/soft cap being thrown around gives both sides a way to save face and come off their hard line in the sand, which is the key to all successful collective bargaining agreements.

My dad did labor relations negotiations for 20 years for General Motors. I have seen these type of negotiations play out year after year, and all the tea leaves point to an agreement in the works. Have faith, you'll see......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad