1/26/05 NHL & NHLPA labor talk Game Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Small note which I'm sure people will most probably have realised - it's extremely near the European Transfer Deadline (some leagues will freeze rosters on Friday) and as such players and European teams need to know whether they can keep their NHLers or make contingency plans for when their roster falls apart if a deal gets done. So if anything happens it might well be sooner than people think.

:hopeful:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Padawan said:
I think there's one question yet to be asked. If there's a deal forming in these talks, does this mean there's a short season after all or do they talk about saving the next season as a whole?

I for one think that there's not enough time for a season. Not anymore, but that's just me.

I think if they reach a deal they'll find a way to play some games. Even if the playoffs extend in late June. The owners wont want to give away that much money/

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Juni said:
Small note which I'm sure people will most probably have realised - it's extremely near the European Transfer Deadline (some leagues will freeze rosters on Friday) and as such players and European teams need to know whether they can keep their NHLers or make contingency plans for when their roster falls apart if a deal gets done. So if anything happens it might well be sooner than people think.

juni- thanks for the report. very interesting info. do you have the deadline information for each league?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Juni said:

January 31 for most of the European leagues but Feb 15 for the Russian league

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
31st is about right, yeah, but considering teams will need a coupla days in advance to know you can knock that back to Friday really, giving them the weekend to figure out their plans.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
As of last night, the last thing I heard from some hockey sources I trust (that, by their own admission, aren't in the room) is that there's been strong talk of a $50 million hard cap and a luxury tax between $35-50 million -- that hybred agreement that's been talked about on these boards for weeks. The cap would be very hard, and the tax actually quite steep: Perhaps even $2 on the dollar.

I've also heard that the NHL has a 36-40 game schedule ready to go if needed.

Please commence with the "You're full of sh-t"/"Who's your source? The janitor at MSG?"/"This guy's worse than Eklund" commentary...

<JESTER>

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
This has been spoken of too much not to have any truth to it. The numbers might be off, but the concept is probably right on the money.

Crows*

I got wayy wayy too excited last time.

These rumors have come up in every meeting.

I will stay level headed today. I do not want to bow down and just take the flogging both sides are giving us the fans.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
Crows said:

I will stay level headed today. I do not want to bow down and just take the flogging both sides are giving us the fans.

As did I, this time I am trying to keep a level head and not get my hopes up, but every chance I am getting today I am checking the boards for updates.

If they are really as far off as some sources are reporting then why keep flying all over N. America to continue with the talks? Let's keep our fingers crossed, and hope something good comes out of today, not just no further talks scheduled.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
Crows said:

Amen to that. Of course I will be hanging on and checking the sports newswires 10 or 15 times an hour, ready to scrutinize any shred of information that comes out of the meeting. And if nothing happens, I will remain pi**ed off and curse everyone associated with the situation.

But if there is good news, I may just dance a little jig.... :gman:

IdiotsPickedMyName*

NJD Jester said:
Please commence with the "You're full of sh-t"/"Who's your source? The janitor at MSG?"/"This guy's worse than Eklund" commentary...

<JESTER>

YOUR FULL OF **** there :banana:

I really hope this season is saved but i feel like i'm sitting in the waiting room of a vets office because my dog is sick :cry: Any new updates????

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Crows said:

my thoughts exactly , although I liken it to the way an ex -girlfriend treated me for 5 years .

IdiotsPickedMyName*

hossy316 said:
3-2 owners in OT. :lol:

hey another maritimer, I dont care who wins just as long as the game finishes before the season is lost

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So does anyone here still think there won't be a shortened season?

I'm just waiting for them to make the official announcement, I made a friendly bet with a fellow Habs poster, can't wait to start gloating ;)

But seriously, I really doubt anything will be announced today, I figure we're looking at an official announcement towards the end of the week/weekend...

At this point IMO, the only thing that can stop this thing from being signed is a HUGE unexpected breakdown in talks, which could happen, but I doubt it

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:

I'm not sure how they could fit in 36 games in 2.5months (assuming they start mid-Feb and run until the end of April.)Thats a lot of hockey, and more than one or two back to back games for the teams. I can see if they shorten the playoffs (maybe best of 5 first round, and not wait for other series to end - just get going as soon as the two teams are ready - similar to the NBA) then maybe. I guess it all comes down to deciding how many games you need to play to make the season "legitimate".

BUt of course, when you are talking a billion or so dollars in revenue.... then both sides may "come together to make it work" :shakehead (pardon the sarcasm)

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
417 TO MTL said:

I'm just waiting for them to make the official announcement, I made a friendly bet with a fellow Habs poster, can't wait to start gloating ;)

But seriously, I really doubt anything will be announced today, I figure we're looking at an official announcement towards the end of the week/weekend...

At this point IMO, the only thing that can stop this thing from being signed is a HUGE unexpected breakdown in talks, which could happen, but I doubt it

I like your optimism and hope you're right. I, for one, am hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
crossxcheck said:
I like your optimism and hope you're right. I, for one, am hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

I wouldn't call it optimism, more like realism (is that even a word? :dunno: )

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I do not think there's time for the even for the shortened season but if they do make the decision to end the lock out, I'm hoping they would do it asap. I must confess I think this situation more in an european point of view.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
I'm not sure how they could fit in 36 games in 2.5months (assuming they start mid-Feb and run until the end of April.)Thats a lot of hockey, and more than one or two back to back games for the teams.
they could run the regular season longer, as well as the playoffs. i wouldnt mind reducing rounds one and two to 5 games, although im sure the owners wouldnt like the lost revenue. they could go radical for this year and reduce the numbers of playoffs teams? even less acceptable to owners, im sure.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If the season started on February 9,they would have 8 weeks to get in a season which would end on April 10 which is the same day of the last day of the original 2004-05 season

36 games/4-5 games per week

Interconference play only/play the division teams 4 times each and play the remaining 10 conference teams twice

It's doable

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
I'm not sure how they could fit in 36 games in 2.5months (assuming they start mid-Feb and run until the end of April.)Thats a lot of hockey, and more than one or two back to back games for the teams. I can see if they shorten the playoffs (maybe best of 5 first round, and not wait for other series to end - just get going as soon as the two teams are ready - similar to the NBA) then maybe. I guess it all comes down to deciding how many games you need to play to make the season "legitimate".

BUt of course, when you are talking a billion or so dollars in revenue.... then both sides may "come together to make it work" :shakehead (pardon the sarcasm)

Before last summer, I was deathly afraid of swimming, since I was 6yr old, and had an "incident" I never, ever went near a pool...

This summer that just passed my friend offered me 150.00$ on the spot to jump in a pool, I jumped in and winged it, won't say I was the best swimmer, but I was short on cash at the time and it seemed like the right thing to do...

Point of my story is, when it comes to money, especially billions of dollars, anything can happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad