1/20/20-If the playoffs started today...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I understand a lot of what you're saying. But after 52 years I don't think that Marner, Matthews, and Sandin playing well is any consolation to Leafs fans.

How large is the season ticket base? Let's say it's 10,000, just to use a nice round number, and 5,000 are non-corporate. If just 1/2 of those don't re-up you're still talking about 2,500, which would be, what, 12%-15% capacity for hockey?

Are you suggesting that if some of the Leafs' season ticket holders don't renew, those tickets just wouldn't get sold?

Because that's almost as hilarious as the "rules" you arbitrarily set for your playoff matchups. :laugh:

There's a waiting list for Leafs season tickets.

Reactions: Dustin

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I understand a lot of what you're saying. But after 52 years I don't think that Marner, Matthews, and Sandin playing well is any consolation to Leafs fans.

How large is the season ticket base? Let's say it's 10,000, just to use a nice round number, and 5,000 are non-corporate. If just 1/2 of those don't re-up you're still talking about 2,500, which would be, what, 12%-15% capacity for hockey?

Missing would suck and we'd all hate it, but if we can handle last place and a rebuild, we can handle a single lost season.

The waiting list for Leafs season tickets is decades long. Anecdotal evidence suggests people have been on the list for 15-20 years plus. If half the people didn't renew their season tickets they would be completely replaced within an hour. That 15-20 year waiting list includes over a decade of utter futility under previous GM's and philosophies. The Maple Leafs will never experience anything even remotely resembling a drought of season tickets.

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
Dude.

You specifically started a thread about "If the playoffs started today".

I didn't start this thread, you did.

Usually, when someone does a "hey let's see what the playoff matchups would be" thread topic, they don't take into account "extra games" or look for imbalances.

Just, snapshot view, what would the matchups be if the playoffs started today.

That's it. Simple.

You're really making this needlessly complicated. :laugh:

True to form, you know you're gonna get a lot of brilliance from anything that starts with "dude." :biglaugh:Totally gnarly, man.

What you've and your little buddy there have failed to understand is that my original post was only concerned with the matchups that are known today and thus a proviso concerning the other matchups. But that obviously flew right over you and your little buddy.

BTW, I get that you're sore from other recently-discussed topics.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Missing would suck and we'd all hate it, but if we can handle last place and a rebuild, we can handle a single lost season.

The waiting list for Leafs season tickets is decades long. Anecdotal evidence suggests people have been on the list for 15-20 years plus. If half the people didn't renew their season tickets they would be completely replaced within an hour. That 15-20 year waiting list includes over a decade of utter futility under previous GM's and philosophies. The Maple Leafs will never experience anything even remotely resembling a drought of season tickets.

Someone clearly doesn't understand the market for the Toronto Maple Leafs. If there was no "season ticket revolt" in the 80's why in the hell would there be one now?

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
True to form, you know you're gonna get a lot of brilliance from anything that starts with "dude." :biglaugh:Totally gnarly, man.

What you've and your little buddy there have failed to understand is that my original post was only concerned with the matchups that are known today and thus a proviso concerning the other matchups. But that obviously flew right over you and your little buddy.

BTW, I get that you're sore from other recently-discussed topics.

Please stop digging, this almost isn't fun anymore and I'm starting to feel bad.

As the other poster said, you can't just take a snapshot of the standings in mid-January, start a thread with hypothetical playoff matchups, and then jump on anyone who tries to help like "hey, no, that's not how I understand it so that's not what I want". In a condescending manner, to boot.

Maybe look back through older mid-season threads with this same premise, and find me just ONE where the OP accounted for games played and said that those matchups weren't "known today" so they weren't included. :laugh:

For the record, there are ZERO matchups that are known today, since it's ****ing January and the only thing we can pretty much say with relative certainty about the upcoming playoffs is that Detroit won't be taking part.

Reactions: InAbsensia

duul

Jun 21, 2010
A battle of Alberta playoff series would be the crown jewel of NHL hockey. Every single person who is a fan of hockey would love to see that.

Reactions: Pucker Factor 10

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
A battle of Alberta playoff series would be the crown jewel of NHL hockey. Every single person who is a fan of hockey would love to see that.

True, given what they've done so far this season I'd say it's only fair that they enter into a best-of-seven series for our entertainment. :laugh:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Oh wow, you got me there with your scatological humor. :wave:

I guess you're unfamiliar with the concept of capitalized three-lettered airline baggage tags and ones that are specifically printed for bags destined for Tampa, FL. That's where the Lightning play.
So...you went by airport code? Why not do that for all the teams then? Hard to admit you had no idea what how to abbreviate it like the rest of teams?

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
TPA and then panthers sounds fun!

That would be an absolute beauty and a real test for TPA in the 1st round. FLA has played them pretty well this year and you'd have Bobrovsky in net with that upset from last spring still fresh in his mind, not to mention an interstate rivalry that would have a renewed intensity to it as their first matchup ever in the playoffs.

I'd really like to see BOS retain the top spot in the Atlantic and get the Blue Jackets again, instead of the Bolts getting them again in the 1st round. They'd certainly have their hands full there too.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
That would be an absolute beauty and a real test for TPA in the 1st round. FLA has played them pretty well this year and you'd have Bobrovsky in net with that upset from last spring still fresh in his mind, not to mention an interstate rivalry that would have a renewed intensity to it as their first matchup ever in the playoffs.

I'd really like to see BOS retain the top spot in the Atlantic and get the Blue Jackets again, instead of the Bolts getting them again in the 1st round. They'd certainly have their hands full their too.

Let’s go TPA!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Hard to believe that they haven't played each other since 1991. It's wild, really.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Doesn't every team have an "imbalance of games played"? :laugh:

You took a snapshot of the standings today, and for some reason only went ahead and created half of the hypothetical matchups.

Surely you could figure out all eight just by looking at the standings, no?

EDIT: Here, I'll help.

STL would take on ARI in the first round, and VAN takes on LV

In the East?

WSH vs CAR

BOS vs CLB

There!

All eight matchups set for today's playoffs. :handclap:
Nucks and Vegas would be a fun series. Vegas has beaten the crap out of us up until the last game. The last 2 games have been super chippy and an obvious hate exists between them. 6 months ago I would have dreaded this matchup but Vegas seems to be trending down and as long as the nucks allow their speed and skill to draw penalties, I think they would win.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
To me, the biggest story is going to be how the Pacific shakes out. It is arguably the worst division in the league, but if I'm not mistaken you currently have 5 teams at the top with either 58 or 57 points. If Winnipeg and Nashville make a move, it is possible that only 3 of those 5 make it to the playoffs. Almost every division game will matter in the Pacific over the last 30 games or so.
The worst division yet 5 teams are playoff bound? I'd say most competitive, considering most teams in the Pacific have played more against non division teams and still hold 5 spots.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Eastern Conference
Washington (33-11-5, 71 points)
Carolina (29-18-3, 61 points)

Pittsburgh (31-14-5, 67 points)
NY Islanders (29-15-5, 63 points)

Boston (29-10-12, 70 points)
Columbus (27-16-8, 62 points)

Tampa Bay (29-15-4, 62 points)
Florida (28-16-5, 61 points)