GDT: 1/17/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Colorado VS Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos needs a guy to get those pucks on the boards and do the dirty work, like crashing around the net, throwing Callahan there will get that task done, Adding Drouin will get him that playmaker as well. We saw very little of Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan and it was good, they even scored a few goals together.

Unless we are going back to KFC which was a very good line, Cally stays put with Stamkos. Paquette was not great with Flip and Cally, and that line was too one way on the defense end and just very limited.

If Callahan was a LW, he'd be perfect. As a RW, it's probably never going to be optimal, nor our best option. Stamkos doesn't cycle the puck well enough to take advantage of Cally, and Cally doesn't pass off the rush well enough to take advantage of Stamkos.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Jonathan Marchessault?

I ended up typing that reply on my phone at first. Didn't mean to say two playmakers, meant a playmaker and a "bruiser". Palat is the perfect example of this, and the two games we saw them together was absolutely beautiful. Constant set ups and tons of shots.

We saw Palat-Stamkos-Callahan early in the year and it didn't work too well. It was hot and cold (very cold). Maybe that was because Palat wasn't up to speed yet, but I'm more inclined to think it's because both wingers were good at essentially the same things. Palat-Stamkos-Drouin/Kucherov would probably tear the league down, but obviously Palat's going to be with TJ for the foreseeable future.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Callahan was a LW, he'd be perfect. As a RW, it's probably never going to be optimal, nor our best option. Stamkos doesn't cycle the puck well enough to take advantage of Cally, and Cally doesn't pass off the rush well enough to take advantage of Stamkos.

It's going to be an issue to try and find someone on this roster who is a better option. Right now I think we are in more need of another top 4D, than a top 6 forward.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't think we need to find Stamkos another playmaker if Drouin plays the right. We either need a playmaking RW (if Drouin remains on LW) or a gritty LW (Palat). We have the pieces, they're just being used on TKO right now. But Stamkos doesn't need a playmaker on either side. One on the right side will do.

Whatever the case, I pretty much never want to see Flip - Stamkos - Callahan again. That was pretty awful the first time around and wasn't any better last night. I think the best we've seen Stamkos play at ES this year has been with Drouin and Killorn. But it would be nice to get an upgrade on Killorn so he could return to the KFC line. (I don't really mean through trade--I'd like to see someone on the roster fill the role.)

JAM is still putting up points in Syracuse. I wonder if management is giving any thought to giving him a shot in the NHL.

I think Richard is a better option then JAM. He's Killorn but with more grit to his game, Killorn is Purcell soft. It would keep the KFC line together, not sure Richard is ready for top line minutes but he's the type of player people seem to be looking for.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Filppula - Connoly
Morrow - Boyle - Brown

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's going to be an issue to try and find someone on this roster who is a better option. Right now I think we are in more need of another top 4D, than a top 6 forward.

Killorn - Stamkos - Drouin was the best option we've seen so far, IMO. And Stamkos put up a few ES goals with that line. I think Brown would be fine on LW on that line if his only real job is to win battles in the corners. Stamkos's most common linemate this season has been Callahan, and Stamkos did not play well with Callahan on his right. Minus last game (with Callahan again on his right), he had finally begun heating up, not only in terms of production but simply in terms of his overall play. He was finally looking good more often than not. Stamkos-Callahan just doesn't work that well. Stamkos has eaten the league alive with feeds coming from his right side, particularly off the rush. He's never going to get that with Cally.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I dunno its almost like you are saying Stamkos cannot play well or like his old self without MSL or someone on RW that has high caliber play making skills. If he has someone who can get him the puck from the boards and do some of the dirty and also has good playmaking skills he will be more than fine. I don't know who else on this roster who can do that better . Cally is certainly not an elite play maker but his grit and able to win those board battles and screen the goalie make up for that.

I just want to see Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan again for another 10 games, then can have a better idea.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I dunno its almost like you are saying Stamkos cannot play well or like his old self without MSL or someone on RW that has high caliber play making skills. If he has someone who can get him the puck from the boards and do some of the dirty and also has good playmaking skills he will be more than fine. I don't know who else on this roster who can do that better . Cally is certainly not an elite play maker but his grit and able to win those board battles and screen the goalie make up for that.

I just want to see Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan again for another 10 games, then can have a better idea.

I want to see Drouin - Stamkos - Connolly for another 2 seasons, then can have a better idea.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
I want to see Drouin - Stamkos - Connolly for another 2 seasons, then can have a better idea.

Connolly - Connolly - Connolly

Connolly - Connolly
Connolly - Connolly
Lee - Connolly

Lindback
Lindback

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Killorn - Stamkos - Drouin was the best option we've seen so far, IMO. And Stamkos put up a few ES goals with that line. I think Brown would be fine on LW on that line if his only real job is to win battles in the corners. Stamkos's most common linemate this season has been Callahan, and Stamkos did not play well with Callahan on his right. Minus last game (with Callahan again on his right), he had finally begun heating up, not only in terms of production but simply in terms of his overall play. He was finally looking good more often than not. Stamkos-Callahan just doesn't work that well. Stamkos has ththe league alive with feeds coming from his right side, particularly off the rush. He's never going to get that with Cally.

Agree this has been the best Stamkos line. It's the only time Killorn has looked good with Stamkos.

I'm wondering about swapping Paqutte and Killorn though. Paquette is more physical and seems to have a bit higher offensive awareness. Has good chemistry with Drouin. I think it was tried for 1 game but I think Drouin was on LW instead of RW.

Paquette does a fine job with Callahan and Filppula but KFC seems to work a bit better with Killorn offensively

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Paquette-Stamkos-Drouin
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan
Morrow-Boyle-Connolly/Brown

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I rewatched this game last night, fun when i can DVR Sun sports down here in Florida. Anyway, if Coop ever puts Flip - Stamkos - Killorn together especially in OT he should be fired on the spot. We got lucky this game and should be kissing Bishop's ass for having such a great game.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
The significant conclusion IMO from the last several games is we are not playing very well and without Bishop we are on a losing streak. Who knows what lines combo's are good chemistry when we switch them so often and struggle to string two passes together before giving it away. Bishop really stole the last two for us.
I liked the way Brett, Alex and Flip looked as a line but it was just one game. Would like to see it again.
For Stammer's line it appears Drouin will eventually be good. We could use another quick and tough player for his line. Alex and Brett may be a bit slow and Flip is not optimal because Drouin, Stammer, Flip is too weak defensively. Adam Erne is the type we need but he is not quite ready for NHL.

Last edited:

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
How is T.J. Oshie at playmaking? Everything I've read about him makes him sound like Callahan v2.0.

The Chief "I'll tell yah what Rick. J.T. Oshie is great. You see how many times he shot the puck and scored in the shootout at the Olympics??"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad