GDT: 1/10/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Carolina vs Tampa Bay

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
?? I think you're using the "face ripped off" metaphor pretty loosely. Most people wanted Cernak to stay, including me. My position was one that made no logical sense: "I think we'll keep him up, but I don't know how." Well, the how turned out to be a conditioning stint for Koekkoek.

But I mean, I remember people believing he would be sent down because there seemed no way to keep him up. I don't remember anybody's face getting ripped off.

It's more than that, we moved Joseph to IR the day Stralman was ready to go and Miller was injured a couple days before Joseph's return, we didn't make any roster moves because we didn't have to. I don't doubt they wanted get more of a look at Cernak and the "fortunate" timing of the injuries allowed for that so unless this guy had a crystal ball seeing these injuries beforehand Cernak was still mostly likely going down when Stralman came back.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's more than that, we moved Joseph to IR the day Stralman was ready to go and Miller was injured a couple days before Joseph's return, we didn't make any roster moves because we didn't have to. I don't doubt they wanted get more of a look at Cernak and the "fortunate" timing of the injuries allowed for that so unless this guy had a crystal ball seeing these injuries beforehand Cernak was still mostly likely going down when Stralman came back.

Yeah, we're definitely doing some creative shuffling.

....Which I guess makes the timing of the Koekkoek rumors make a little more sense. Maybe it's more than just doing him a favor. We have too many NHL players.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

....Which I guess makes the timing of the Koekkoek rumors make a little more sense. Maybe it's more than just doing him a favor. We have too many NHL players.

Yeah, starting to think so too. Teams also aren't biting because there's a chance we waive KK when Miller comes back and they can just claim him without wasting assets. I don't think anybody is struggling enough they can't wait a week to see what Tampa does.

The pieces are coming together...

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

I've said it like a billion times but Koekkoek probably wants a chance elsewhere as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he has requested a trade that just hasn't gone public. He's starting to be at quite a critical age for his NHL career and he's not going to get icetime with us this season. I'd like to see him traded because I like the guy and hope he could have an NHL career somewhere.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, starting to think so too. Teams also aren't biting because there's a chance we waive KK when Miller comes back and they can just claim him without wasting assets. I don't think anybody is struggling enough they can't wait a week to see what Tampa does.

The pieces are coming together...

Koekkoek's also not a guy who's going to bolster a contender's blueline. He's more of a guy you take a flyer on, which tends to be more of an off-season move.

I wonder if the clock on this is ticking now though, with Miller's return marking 0. There could already be (bad) offers on the table, and we're just waiting because there's no point in pulling the trigger before we have to.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Watch Cally be put on IR the minute Miller is ready in order to keep up Cernak.

Well or a KK trade obviously.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've said it like a billion times but Koekkoek probably wants a chance elsewhere as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he has requested a trade that just hasn't gone public. He's starting to be at quite a critical age for his NHL career and he's not going to get icetime with us this season. I'd like to see him traded because I like the guy and hope he could have an NHL career somewhere.

I agree that he probably has. It's just I'm not sure that that's the big reason why we're seeing these rumors pop back up NOW. There actually is a benefit for the team to get him off the roster in-season, which I had previously overlooked, as did many of us. We need to move a body before we lose somebody (probably Koekkoek, but maybe Martel) to waivers. I hadn't thought about that angle before, and I think that overrides us trying to do right by the guy.

The risk of course is we might not have enough NHL-ready D next year, and could wind up playing Masin over his head.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Watch Cally be put on IR the minute Miller is ready in order to keep up Cernak.

Well or a KK trade obviously.

Cally put on IR the minute Miller is ready?
1460656248735.jpg

Look at that face, It is clearly the inspiration for this;
trollface.png

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Good game fellas. The whole game had a playoff vibe. Hard checking aggression. I think the Cane fan frustration comes from us dominating 5 on 5 for 60 minutes and not even getting a point, but we're obviously not quite "there" yet. It is nice to see the effort and fight in our young squad though.

Do all of HFBoards a favor and eliminate Toronto in the playoffs please.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
You must like to travel

Uh, no. Unless it's to Sunrise to watch a Bolts game or Nashville for the same. Otherwise, please Lord, let me stay local.

EDIT: To add, the traffic SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS now!

Reactions: Rschmitz

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
giphy.gif

Most people gave legit answers to this from moving Koekkoek to Girardi, But it was also pointed out that without a move or injuries Cernak would have to go down as he was the only one waiver exempt. Thanks to some loop hole manipulation by JBB this has not become an issue.

Other than a small back and forth with @Sky04 who asked you to give a source other than "Around the hockey world" there was no one disagreeing with you.

I guess I felt like the way it was asked was pretty rude. Anyways I don’t even remember what was said and don’t really want to dig it up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad