GDT: #1 - 10/05/17 | avalanche @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
d0f6406c1e03b188323863aa40fec78f.gif

This is all I see when people talk about +/-

O.k. let me simplify this for you like I did for my kid when she was like 3 lol.

If you put up one point while being liable for 3 against that wouldn't make you a very good player would it? Lol

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't see the point in overreacting but if we treat this like any other game I don't see the harm in critiquing..

McD on for 3 GA.
Shattenkirk on for 3 GA.
Zbad on for 2 GA.

It's worth talking about.

While Shattenkirk got a assist and Zib got 2 goals..What's gonna happen in the defensive zone this year?

Are you counting the EN goal in that?

The Rangers were generally fine in their own end, but they got beat up on the rush because the forwards kept getting caught deep and wouldn't get back hard enough. Arniel even mentioned it. Have to be a lot better about that. I don't think McD was at fault for any goals so why worry that he was on for 3GA? Maybe get on Shattenkirk for not finding that rebound before Duchene but it's kind of a broken play.

Again I thought their own zone play was fine, but defending the rush was a real problem.

Other than that I think they outplayed the Avs and Varlamov won that game by being better than Lundqvist. Will that be a trend against all the goalies they face? Hope not, but that's more of a concern to me.

Also think AV has to give Chytil some room to play. Don't keep him up and only play him a few minutes even if he makes mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, give him icetime.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Skjei and Smith were on the ice for more than half of Colorado's scoring chances, but they had a 0 +/-, so good job guys!!!

A+ defenze!!!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
And our AHL champ Paul C. had a quiet game with only 7:22 TOI, but he had some good plays on our PK in 2nd. Jeff Gorton sleeping at the wheel when Chicago Blackhaws signed Martinsen who is twice as NHL player compare to him especially in a wing position which is natural for him. :laugh:

It start to get late here, and soon weekend and hockey, nighty, nite!! :)

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
O.k. let me simplify this for you like I did for my kid when she was like 3 lol.

If you put up one point while being liable for 3 against that wouldn't make you a very good player would it? Lol

The only player "liable" for a goal unless it's something ridiculous is the goaltender.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Wow. I can't remember a home opener that bad in the last decade. That was embarrassing in every way possible vs one of the worst teams in the league.

Maybe we should stop going on all the stupid field trips(lake placid) and we continue to play preseason games like the rest of the league to get ready for the season?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I dunno I mean, it's hard for me to say that fully every goal is his or her fault except extraordinary ones. Sometimes the D makes a bad read or the other guys just made a better hockey play. At the most primitive level yeah the goalie is the only one in the paint that it passed by but I can't say that it's solely his or her fault

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I dunno I mean, it's hard for me to say that fully every goal is his or her fault except extraordinary ones. Sometimes the D makes a bad read or the other guys just made a better hockey play. At the most primitive level yeah the goalie is the only one in the paint that it passed by but I can't say that it's solely his or her fault

Goalies at this level stop like 97% of non-deflections/screens/rebounds

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Wow. I can't remember a home opener that bad in the last decade. That was embarrassing in every way possible vs one of the worst teams in the league.

Maybe we should stop going on all the stupid field trips(lake placid) and we continue to play preseason games like the rest of the league to get ready for the season?
2014 Home Opener Vs TOR. 6-3 Loss. Everyone looked awful
2013 VS MTL
2011 VS TOR

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You can bring up goals against with defensemen at a certain point, but your sample needs to be like 3 seasons, not 3 periods.

Reactions: Ola

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
The first one was Shattenkirk.

I wouldn't say the second was his fault, but he makes that save five years ago. He looked pretty bad laterally on that goal.

Pass never should've gotten through on the second. Skjei needs to be in that lane.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You can bring up goals against with defensemen at a certain point, but your sample needs to be like 3 seasons, not 3 periods.

Like I can't think of a single way McDonagh was responsible for any of the 3 goals he was on the ice for.

I'm much more concerned about the forwards, who have long had issues backchecking hard enough and tying up their men, and the goaltending

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Goalies at this level stop like 97% of non-deflections/screens/rebounds
I'm not disputing that but on a lot of plays that seem cut and dry there's breakdowns that can't 100% be on the tendies, tonight is not the best case for me arguing this though. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to get it because my articulation is trash

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Are you counting the EN goal in that?

The Rangers were generally fine in their own end, but they got beat up on the rush because the forwards kept getting caught deep and wouldn't get back hard enough. Arniel even mentioned it. Have to be a lot better about that. I don't think McD was at fault for any goals so why worry that he was on for 3GA? Maybe get on Shattenkirk for not finding that rebound before Duchene but it's kind of a broken play.

Again I thought their own zone play was fine, but defending the rush was a real problem.

Other than that I think they outplayed the Avs and Varlamov won that game by being better than Lundqvist. Will that be a trend against all the goalies they face? Hope not, but that's more of a concern to me.

Also think AV has to give Chytil some room to play. Don't keep him up and only play him a few minutes even if he makes mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, give him icetime.

Actually you're probably right about that EN goal.

I haven't figured out how to highlight in this new format yet but I still see way too much high risk passing and a lot of running around in their out end.

The forwards ALWAYS get caught behind the play so I still look at the system more so than the actual players.

Zbad was real weak on that one check for sure. That has to stop if he's going to be the #1 C.

There are definitely things that need some fixing and I'm looking at the system for starters.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not disputing that but on a lot of plays that seem cut and dry there's breakdowns that can't 100% be on the tendies, tonight is not the best case for me arguing this though. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to get it because my articulation is trash

Btu very, very rarely can you give a defenseman a full goal against.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Actually you're probably right about that EN goal.

I haven't figured out how to highlight in this new format yet but I still see way too much high risk passing and a lot of running around in their out end.

The forwards ALWAYS get caught behind the play so I still look at the system more so than the actual players.

Zbad was real weak on that one check for sure. That has to stop if he's going to be the #1 C.

There are definitely things that need some fixing and I'm looking at the system for starters.

Yeah things aren't perfect for sure but it's opening day, teams usually look kind of off and sloppy for awhile. I feel like I say this every year...

They need to tighten stuff up a lot but there's a fair amount of good out of this game as well

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Is this serious or a joke post? It's game 1. Ridiculous hyperbole.

The only reason we lost was Varlamov stood on his head.

Recent home openers:

2016-17: 5-3 Win
2015-16: 5-2 Win
2014-15: 6-3 Loss
2013-14: 2-0 Loss
2012-13: 6-3 Loss
2011-12: 4-2 Loss
2010-11: 4-3 OTL

Might wanna get that memory checked. I know for a fact the 6-3 loss in 2014 was to Toronto and it was worse than this game. And the 4 other seasons we lost the home opener here is where we finished the year:

2015: Lost ECF (won President's Trophy)
2014: Lost SCF
2013: Lost 2nd round
2012: Lost ECF

Reactions: nyrleetch

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He seems to be literally making the plus minus is the most important stat argument

C'mon man..If you're in the ice for a goal against that's one thing but if you're on the ice for three then more than likely you're apart of the problem more than the solution..

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Chytil scratched next game regardless of the fact that he was good before the penalty/being benched. Book it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
In other news I thought Buchnevich is looking real strong and involved offensively.

Still frustrated at his backchecking effort on Barrie's goal but he looks primed for a nice year offensively

Reactions: NYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->