1-0 lead

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What I said is not a quantifiable observation. Data has nothing to do with it, other than possibly giving a partial explanation for why the data looks like it does.

Data also isn't the only basis for analysis. Just one of many.

That's true, but typically you want to refine theories into something testable. Unless you're talking about mathematics in which case

throwPapers.jpg

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Subtract the home numbers from the total above; teams that win Game 1 on the road are 123-96 (.562) in the series.

Teams winning Game 1 in the first round [four round era] are 136-80 (.630), with home G1 winners going 91-38 (.705); teams winning Game 1 in the conference semis are 129-55 (.701), with home G1 winners going 93-31 (.750).
Something doesn't add up here, how could there possibly be 216 1st round game 1s and 184 game 1s in round 2? Shouldn't it be exactly half?

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Something doesn't add up here, how could there possibly be 216 1st round game 1s and 184 game 1s in round 2? Shouldn't it be exactly half?

It would be exactly half for the era of four round playoffs, yes, but there haven't always been four rounds. The first round numbers above are all from this era and might more properly be called the conference quarterfinals. The first round from the three round era would be the conference semis (i.e., two rounds removed from the Finals) and thus are counted towards the "second round" totals here. Back further still, the first round in the O6 days was the conference finals.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Doesn't winning game 1 also gain you momentum, confidence, and puts a lot of pressure on your opponent?

Of course but the game two winner strikes some of the confidence from the game one winner and instills insecurity for game three and at that point it is a much shorter series with less time for mistakes and playing catch up. Game one winner is now more afraid to make a mistake than game two winner.

This is obviously all speculative mumbo jumbo from a guy who's never played in playoffs of any kind but I still find it perfectly logical that Game 2 winners have higher win % than Game 1 winners.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I used to like that fact but having thought about it more, it's not that surprising.

If you won the second game you are either tied or winning 2-0. Being up 2-0 implies you're most probably the better team and you definitely have a much easier road to advancing. Tying the series 1-1 gains you momentum, confidence, and puts a lot of pressure on the opponent.

It makes perfect sense that history supports Game 2 winners.

The more likely explanation (rather than something unquantifiable like "momentum and confidence") is that the series being tied 1-1 presents one of two scenarios:

1. The lower-seeded team won game 2 and now has home-ice advantage in the remaining best-of-5 series, which does provide a historical advantage in terms of results.

2. The higher-seeded team has tied the series 1-1; even though they have lost home-ice advantage, in many situations being higher-seeded (like say, 1 vs 8) indicates a substantial difference in quality, and they might still be expected to win the remaining best-of-5 even though they no longer have home-ice advantage.

I'd like to see the data where the high-seeded team gets in an 0-2 hole. At that point, you'd expect them to lose significantly more often even in spite of being seeded higher.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'd be interested to see how much closer that gets to .500 after the series is tied, because I'm sure it skyrockets at 2-0.

Surprisingly 15% of teams I think still lose going up 2-0...that may be the highest out of the NHL, NBA, MLB. Even more odd, I think its an even split 7% each way going up 2-0 at home and on the road. One would think only 2% of teams going up 2-0 on the road have lost the series but its equally as likely statistically to lose going up 2-0 as it goes going up 2-0 at home. I don't think any NBA team has gone up 2-0 on the road and lost the series and only 3 MLB teams have done so and lost the series, one of which was robbed by a historically bad call, so NHL again proves its a very tough sport come playoff time, even up 3-0 there are no guarantees.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Message to TB: 2-0 is the worst lead in hockey.

Hasn't Montreal been involved in like 4 or 5 series where either they or their opponent has gone up 2-0 and ultimately lost the series? It seems they are always a part of those.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Surprisingly 15% of teams I think still lose going up 2-0...that may be the highest out of the NHL, NBA, MLB. Even more odd, I think its an even split 7% each way going up 2-0 at home and on the road. One would think only 2% of teams going up 2-0 on the road have lost the series but its equally as likely statistically to lose going up 2-0 as it goes going up 2-0 at home. I don't think any NBA team has gone up 2-0 on the road and lost the series and only 3 MLB teams have done so and lost the series, one of which was robbed by a historically bad call, so NHL again proves its a very tough sport come playoff time, even up 3-0 there are no guarantees.

This is incorrect, the winning percentage for MLB (83%) is lower than for the NHL (86%). Both are considerably lower than the NBA (94%).

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I'd like to see the data where the high-seeded team gets in an 0-2 hole. At that point, you'd expect them to lose significantly more often even in spite of being seeded higher.

Road teams that take a 2-0 series lead are 66-18 (.786) in the series, so yeah, teams that blow the first two at home are in trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad