08-09 Crosby vs 19-20 mcdavid

Who do you take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
McDavid is better now than Crosby was in his prime. He’s just been missing the supporting cast he needs to have the same amount of team success that Crosby had in 08/09.

BTW, didn’t Crosby’s scoring kinda dry up after the Caps series in ‘09?

Yea, he laid a stinker in the finals with 3 points in 7 games.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
McDavid is better now than Crosby was in his prime. He’s just been missing the supporting cast he needs to have the same amount of team success that Crosby had in 08/09.

Not Factual .

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
3 points in a 7 game SCF. Am I reading that right?

I’ve seen the guy be a complete no-show in several series, including years when he won Cups. Thank God for Malkin and Kessel.
It's funny that your argument is him no-showing in several series.
9IHUjnl.png

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
In his prime Crosby is a Rocket Richard winner that plays a 200 ft game and can go toe to toe physically with any player in the league in the corner.

I eagerly await the revisionist history of 2040 where we talk about McDavid's "200 ft. game" early in his career because he's a Canadian-born center and they automatically have defensive prowess. Crosby was never bad defensively but this narrative of him being a Selke contender has got to stop.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I eagerly await the revisionist history of 2040 where we talk about McDavid's "200 ft. game" early in his career because he's a Canadian-born center and they automatically have defensive prowess. Crosby was never bad defensively but this narrative of him being a Selke contender has got to stop.
How do you conflate "200ft game" with "Selke contender"? No one is saying that Crosby was as good defensively then as he is now but he was more than competent in his own end. Analytics and the eye test both indicate that McDavid has a lot of trouble in his own zone, most likely because he is cheating on the offensive side of things.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
How do you conflate "200ft game" with "Selke contender"? No one is saying that Crosby was as good defensively then as he is now but he was more than competent in his own end. Analytics and the eye test both indicate that McDavid has a lot of trouble in his own zone, most likely because he is cheating on the offensive side of things.
While True, by analytics, Crosbys 08-09 was quite poor defensively though. And its fair to note that McDavids offense is on another level based on said analytics to Crosby through the first 5 seasons.

Im not sure why Crosbys final performance is being brought up as a negative. Mcdavid has done nothing in the playoffs, let alone have a "dissapointing" performance with 31 playoff points..

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby had an all around game in 08-09?

There's a lot of revisionist history going on Hfboards about Crosby's defense. It was only recently that Crosby became decent defensively, before that he floated and did a lot of standing around. Not because he's lazy, he's one of the hardest working players to ever play in the NHL. It was because he had to generate every scoring chance for his line to succeed, leading to a lot of blown coverage.

McDavid right now is much better than Crosby defensively in 08-09, I'd say better overall as well 5on5.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Who ever said he was a Selke contender?

Someone asked why Crosby had more weapons in his bag. I gave reasons.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
If you take into account the playoffs as well, you give it to Sid, but that’s obviously unfair to McDaddy. However no one knows if he’s going to put up 30+ points/15 goals and win the title.

In terms of overall play? McDavid is better 5v5 and just generating offense in general because his speed is too overwhelming.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

What's interesting with McDavid is that the underlying numbers show his defensive impact in 16-17 was better than anything Crosby did until last year, but his numbers have only tanked and the last couple years are far worse than Crosby's ever were.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

It would be nice to see numbers and scoring placements back this up. Crosby was clearly the better offensive producer at his peak than McDavid has shown yet.

Being on a team with a better supporting cast doesn't change this.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There's a lot of revisionist history going on Hfboards about Crosby's defense. It was only recently that Crosby became decent defensively, before that he floated and did a lot of standing around. Not because he's lazy, he's one of the hardest working players to ever play in the NHL. It was because he had to generate every scoring chance for his line to succeed, leading to a lot of blown coverage.

McDavid right now is much better than Crosby defensively in 08-09, I'd say better overall as well 5on5.

McDavid can be good defensively, but his overall defensive impact recently is terrible.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Ah ok. So, we saw Crosby really underachieve compared to the prior year in 07-08 and while he was amazing in the playoffs it was definitely questionable on whether or not he could do that without Hossa + the cap implications that hit the Penguins.

With McD, I honestly don’t think there was any publicity about the injury until that documentary so in retrospect I’d agree if we are talking start of the regular season McDavid was just the best player in the league versus Crosby who got over shadowed by Ovi and Malkin.

It’d be kind of like if McDavid had a good playoffs but nothing incredible and Drai and MacK went off this year.
Wait mcdavid was the best player in the league this year?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Wait mcdavid was the best player in the league this year?

Yes, it's his grace year from a couple years ago, right?

Crosby was kind of a lock as the best player for a few years even when Jamie Benn won an Art Ross. Theres more to judging the best player than - wins Hart trophy. I dont think people flop around each year thinking ya, this guy is the best and I'd take him over Crosby/McDavid next year. People still pick Crosby in "game 7" or whatever scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad