07 draft Euro crop?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm curious about what the next draft's crop of European players is shaping up like It seems like a lot of the info I get is very focused on the North American prospects like Esposito, Couture, and Kane. Granted guys like that are expected to dominate the highest spots of the draft, but is it really a lean year for players from across the Atlantic? Who are a few players to watch for from the big 5 European hockey countries (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Rep., & Slovakia)?

Oh, and if anyone knows, are there any possibilities for German players? I'm hoping this is the year someone finally takes a chance on Christoph Gawlik, even though he's overage now.

Thanks.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
I can't find any information on Backlund on hockeydb, where does he play? (I'm assuming its 2nd division or jr division since there's absolutely no listing for him)
You can follow his stats over the season with this link from swehockey (the official site of the swedish federation). Mikael Backlund is the only player born 1989 in the the 2nd division this year, and he already played some games last season which gives you an indication what kind of talent this kid possesses.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It will be really interesting to see Backlund in the WJC. Mikael are really talented. Extremely smooth taking the puck up ice. Really smooth skater with great speed.

Though the jury are kind of out on him still. He could be anywhere from top 5 top 25-30 in the draft.

He have all the talent in the world, he must just show that he can do something with it against the best.

I also aren't sure how good his finnishing skills are. He is playing at a really high level for a 17 y/o and don't get to show his stuff as often as other kids.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'm curious about what the next draft's crop of European players is shaping up like It seems like a lot of the info I get is very focused on the North American prospects like Esposito, Couture, and Kane. Granted guys like that are expected to dominate the highest spots of the draft, but is it really a lean year for players from across the Atlantic? Who are a few players to watch for from the big 5 European hockey countries (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Rep., & Slovakia)?

Oh, and if anyone knows, are there any possibilities for German players? I'm hoping this is the year someone finally takes a chance on Christoph Gawlik, even though he's overage now.

Thanks.

i was expecting to see him get picked in round 4-7 this year. i dont understand why nobody has picked him. he is a great player and i think he will make the NHL, one way or another.

GBG BLEED BLUE

Jun 8, 2005
Saskatoon,Sask
www.whlfans.ca
What about two guys(Rastislav Konecny and Bohdan Visnak) who currently play with the Saskatoon Blades in the WHL? I think what kept Visnak off of the radar was his size,but in todays NHL fast puck moving defencemen are what teams want. I do not know what kept Rastislav Konecny from being drafted but maybe he will get drafted in 07.

bigv

Aug 13, 2006
Czech republic
hey you forgot Lukas Vartovnik (everett)
Juraj Valach (tri-city)
Branislav Rehus (peterbourogh)
Kiril Starkov (red deer)
Baskhirovs (quebeck)
:banana: :banana: Stich is playing very ugly ..............................

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
hey you forgot Lukas Vartovnik (everett)
Juraj Valach (tri-city)
Branislav Rehus (peterbourogh)
Kiril Starkov (red deer)
Baskhirovs (quebeck)
:banana: :banana: Stich is playing very ugly ..............................

starkov was drafted in 2005

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Very bad year for finns.

Agreed. None is 1st or 2nd round material.

I am more interested to see how some of the 2006 eligible guys that have went under the radar get drafted, if they can step up in WJC.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site

Thanks.

I have no idea why he wasn`t taken. He seems to have all the tools.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
I don't know if he's an '07 draftee, but does anyone know anything about Carl Hagelin of Sodertalje/Sweden? He just committed to Michigan today for the '07 season.

Bouchard

Jul 10, 2004
Cole Harbour, NS
I've seen Voracek play 3 times now, as a 17 year old he is playing on the Moosehead's top line and quarterbacking the PP. He is very good with the puck and makes smart passes. He has very good offensive upside. He needs to work a bit on his defensive game, but he is not afraid of the rough stuff, and has even dropped the gloves once this season.. I like this guy a lot.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Some possible German draft-prospects could be

Maximillian Brandl(1988, Landshut)

Christoph Gawlik(1987, Eisbären Berlin)

Patrick Hager(1988, Rosenheim)

Andre Huebscher(1989, Krefeld)

Elia Ostwald(1988, Eisbären Berlin)

Marcel Müller(1988, Eisbären Berlin)

Christopher Fischer(1988, Adler Mannheim/Heilbronn)

Marius Garten(1988, Eisbären Berlin)

Sören Sturm(1989, Kölner Haie)

Torsten Ankert(1988, Kölner Haie)

Alexander Oblinger(1989, Kölner Haie)

Danny Fischbach(1989, Krefeld)

Sebastian Eickmann(1989, Riessersee)

Patrick Buzas(1987, Augsburg)

and some others...

but i am impressed about the number of prospects from Denmark!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad